Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 01:06 PM

25,981 posts, read 24,635,410 times

Advertisements

I doubt that will happen anytime soon, maybe in 2050. A lot of today's people do not want to wear goggles and headphones. A simple but major reason...
Voice recognition has been available for many years, but hardly anyone uses it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 01:54 PM

5,777 posts, read 5,071,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Why would smartphones and computers be gone? People have said that about e-mail for years, yet it is still the communication means of choice for many people, especially professionals.

Anyway, I tend to agree on the rest. It is a myth that the Chinese do not invent themselves, they have been a country of inventors for thousands of years. The Chinese hold about 1/3 of all 5G patents, obviously they have come up with those things themselves as one can not steal what is not there, yet.

A couple of days ago they said on TV that Huawei and other Chinese smartphone companies are already testing Huawei's new, independent operating system (Hongmeng) that is more than twice as fast as Android already, despite not being finished, yet. Seems they have been working on it for years, although not full-force as there was no need to. But now they are already filing the trademarks for their OS in many countries.

At the end of the day, the ban could work like years ago when Intel was no longer allowed to ship certain supercomputer CPU's to China, so the Chinese developed their own and are now independent.

The opening post seems to have been taken from an article in the Japan Times, known for its anti-Chinese attitude, downplaying Japanese war crimes, etc.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...tum-meet-else/

Anyway, why would Xi not go to the G20 summit in the first place? It is quite obvious that he will attend no matter what, being the head of a major economy. Trump's blackmail attempt is silly, it's like saying, either you breathe in or I will sanction you. And then saying the person breathed in because someone told them to
Trump is a stupid, obnoxious a-hole sob. I don’t think Xi should waste his time meeting the Orange toddler. Just ignore him and get on with the business with the other 18 more important leaders.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:03 PM

11,048 posts, read 16,792,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Trump is a stupid, obnoxious a-hole sob. I don’t think Xi should waste his time meeting the Orange toddler. Just ignore him and get on with the business with the other 18 more important leaders.
Yes, I'm sure that Xi really cares what you think. You also believe that they should go head-to-head in combat with the US Navy in the SCS, etc. There are whole mechanisms built into every government to keep people like you from making decisions, lol. If we used the pennyone platform for Chinese dominance, the world would have descended into war years ago.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oo9 View Post
Why didn’t Chinese invent in tech world? It’s just like you see now, western war disrupt it and it didn’t get a chance in the past.

Why computer smartphone will be gone: with 5G, everything will be on a pair of goggles, no screen, no keyboard. Voice recognition and written transcripts will replace them.
I'm not interested in goggles that talk to me, or a fridge that can tell me the day's news. I have an iPad pro (the only Apple product I personally own), and while I can do 80% of what I can do with my laptop on it, I still use my windows laptop for most business-related tasks. 5G will undoubtedly change many things for the better but, on the consumer end, I don't think that smartphones, laptops, or tablets will disappear in the next few years.

Old 06-21-2019, 01:22 AM

9,240 posts, read 9,708,244 times
I almost never use speech recognition unless I am driving.
I hate talking to a machine. Very awkward and creepy.

However, there is a guy in my office who says "OK Google, what is ..." every day. I guess people are just very different.

Old 06-21-2019, 04:57 AM

25,981 posts, read 24,635,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I'm not interested in goggles that talk to me, or a fridge that can tell me the day's news. I have an iPad pro (the only Apple product I personally own), and while I can do 80% of what I can do with my laptop on it, I still use my windows laptop for most business-related tasks. 5G will undoubtedly change many things for the better but, on the consumer end, I don't think that smartphones, laptops, or tablets will disappear in the next few years.
There are lots of applications for which mobile devices such as tablets are simply not powerful enough and displays are not big enough, especially for people of a certain age.

I tried a speech recognition program (I think it was Dragon) in my text-based job and spent more time correcting the nonsense it produced than what I saved by speaking instead of typing. My brain and fingers are so used to typing and editing on the keyboard, I don't have to think about it anymore, no speech recognition is that fast.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Let's revisit this comment after the G20.

Xi, and China as a whole, are not anywhere near as tough as they posture themselves to be. What cracks me up is that there are so many people around the world who fall for it.
I guess you live in china but you speak ill of china. Kinda like me who live in the us but hates American bullying. Touché

Old 06-22-2019, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
I guess you live in china but you speak ill of china. Kinda like me who live in the us but hates American bullying. Touché
I guess the difference is that I never said I hated China (I don't). I'm certainly critical of the negative aspects of it and it's foreign policy, but if it was terrible here or I hated it, I wouldn't live here... admittedly, I'm actually leaving for the States in a couple days to look at property and businesses, but, I'm still content with my life here.

I'm fine with the US' hegemony being challenged or replaced but if it is, I'd prefer if it's replaced with something better. Did you ever live in China? How long ago, and for how long? After my six years here, I'm not at all convinced that it would be "better," especially not for anyone who's not ethnically Chinese, or for the environment or the animal kingdom.

Last edited by 415_s2k; 06-22-2019 at 12:41 AM..

Old 06-22-2019, 02:19 AM

Quote:
I guess the difference is that I never said I hated China (I don't). I'm certainly critical of the negative aspects of it and it's foreign policy, but if it was terrible here or I hated it, I wouldn't live here... admittedly, I'm actually leaving for the States in a couple days to look at property and businesses, but, I'm still content with my life here.

I'm fine with the US' hegemony being challenged or replaced but if it is, I'd prefer if it's replaced with something better. Did you ever live in China? How long ago, and for how long? After my six years here, I'm not at all convinced that it would be "better," especially not for anyone who's not ethnically Chinese, or for the environment or the animal kingdom.
I agree with you there, but the Chinese are not trying to replace the us.

Old 06-30-2019, 12:23 AM

Just popping in to remind a few of you that they met and agreed to restart trade talks. Trump may be an unpleasant character and not a specifically good leader, but then the same can be applied to Xi Jinping, who is simply cruising on the hard work that previous administrations in China created and pretending that they are his victories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies