Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 01:27 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,709,508 times

Advertisements

Everything that Trump touches dies. Trump has infected the entire GOP with his insanity! Near Future of the GOP: DEATH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uRQm03DkN4&t=215s

Old 06-16-2019, 01:38 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
Everything that Trump touches dies. Trump has infected the entire GOP with his insanity! Near Future of the GOP: DEATH

Good riddance !!!

The GOP of old needs to die !!!

The Trump GOP is the future !!! America and Americans first !!!
A party of the people, for the people by any means necessary !!!
That's what made America great on day one and will keep it great !!!

Old 06-16-2019, 03:51 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post

I've heard this said every week since 1973....I doubt it will ever happen but political parties have come and gone i the past. Conservatives would just vote for whatever conservative party replaced it if that ever happened.

Old 06-16-2019, 03:56 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Your lips to God's ears.

Republicans are a criminal conspiracy and have been for years.

Old 06-16-2019, 04:23 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Good riddance !!!

Oh please! Trump has NO ideology except to enrich himself by stoking hatred for his own political gain. That plus lemming-like faith in machismo. In short, he's America's 20th Century Latin American or African Dictator (brilliant description by Trevor Noah).

The party of which people?

The types who hate anything that's not 100% Mherkun?

The types who think that physical (or at least personal) force is the main measure of personal worth?

The type who conflate (wrongheadedly) patriotism with traditional values?

The types who want to marginalize (if not destroy) anything that upsets time-honored notions of what "the natural order" (whatever the hell that means) is?

The types who are clueless about how the "natural order" doesn't apply to human societies any more, thanks to rising wealth, technology, and education, and therefore can't see that this "natural order" is more appropriate for the Stone Age?

Those who can't see common sense is simply the deposit of unquestioned assumptions entering your skull before age 18?

I could go on, but I think you get the picture.

Also, "for the people" doesn't mean be a complete mouthpiece of the people. James Madison himself wrote in The Federalist Papers that governments must protect the rights of the minority are to be protected from the tyranny of the majority. Thomas Jefferson said something similar that even though the majority is to rule, for that rule to be rightful it must be reasonable, that all people's rights are to be protected in equal measure and receive equal treatment under the law. That means if the majority is doing anything unjust, then the government has the right to overrule the majority wishes.

Old 06-16-2019, 04:59 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Good riddance !!!

This is correct. Having 200 RINO's in office acting like democrats does nobody any good.

Old 06-16-2019, 03:59 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,801 times
Seriously? Quoting a psychic using Tarot cards? From your link:

Quote:
I ask my spirit guides to show me the cards, and they show them to me psychically, and then I ask them why they chose those cards...So the first card that my guides chose is the tower. So they said that the tower represents the GOP crashing and burning....The guides wanted me to point out the lightening hitting the tower. So they say this lightening is coming from a cosmic coming from a divine source...
Seriously????

Just when I thought TDS couldn't get any more deranged.

Old 06-16-2019, 04:15 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,133,597 times
Future of ..well, take a guess. Makes as much sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQX_1c63Vfk

Old 06-16-2019, 06:14 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,294,358 times
ETTD

“Everything Trump Touches Dies”

That’s the title of a best selling book by Republican media consultant Rick Wilson.

https://www.amazon.com/Everything-Tr...s%2C148&sr=8-1

Cha-Ching!

Old 06-16-2019, 06:22 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Meh. This is only the natural cycle of our political system.

After anyone is elected once, it is very rare they won't try for re-election. The job is actually quite an easy one for the un-ambitious, and it's a very rewarding one for those who have ambition. Once in Congress, their work load is as light or as heavy as they want it to be, and the hours are often much shorter than in life outside. Lots of perks, too, with a great retirement plan.

The hardest part of it all is being re-elected, but even that becomes easier as time goes by for most of them.

Both parties constantly evolve and change over time, while older members of the political establishment become re-elected so many times they fall out of step with the changes within their party.

Their seniority has made their re-election easy, but the job becomes much more of a headache when the things they once got elected no longer matter to the voters very much.

So both parties always have a go-slow establishment, and always have a few young turks that are full of energy and will to make big changes. Depending on the public mood, one will command in their party and the other will not.

It keeps government working at a slower pace than the will of the people sometimes.

Sooner or later, those older members (older in their principles, not necessarily their age) either realize things have changed and retire or they are voted out.

Our representatives have no age limit imposed on them like so many other careers have. Once a person is elected to office, he can serve for as long as he wants to. All he has to do is keep getting re-elected.
A person can go to Washington in their 20s, and die in office in their 80s.

So for many, their lives in Washington become the life they actually live by far the most, and one many don't want to leave. Their families grow up there, their friends all live there, the clubs and activities they enjoy are all there.

Washington becomes their home, while their house back where they came from becomes the other place- the one they go for vacations or only to keep the proper connections to their state intact.

That makes the keeping the job necessary like any other job. Once someone sinks roots and is happy, it's hard to just pull them up and leave.

But they will all leave eventually, one way or another, and when they do, they'll all go back home to the state they came from one way or another. Some go home to die in old age, while others go home in defeat to find another career. And still others go home because they found they didn't like the life in Washington as much as they once did.

Washington isn't like other cities. When one party is in power and is doing well, Washington can be very welcoming for them. But in times when the parties are struggling with each other for control, or one party has lost favor with the voters, Washington can become a hostile place to live.

The other odd thing about our politicians is they are free to resign with no penalty at any time they please. They don't have to be forced out of office at the ballot box.
When a member who's been in office for a long time and has lost his edge with his voters, it's very easy to find another job outside of government so they can continue to live in Washington. Or they can plan to retire long before they resign, and quit at the best moment for them.

What that video in the OP shows is some of all of this.

It's a loose 20-year cycle, and the seniority in Congress tends to flip back and forth over that cycle.
Each party has different election year cycles for their Senatorial elections, which also affects the cycle.

What I saw in the list was some who quit, some who were voted out, some who retired, some who died in office, and none of it was very unusual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies