Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 08:22 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Do you know how many times this has happened to parents? NO, you very well might NOT know that your kid has something they shouldn't.

But do go ahead defend a full SWAT response and a gun pointed at a pregnant woman over a 99 cent doll.

A pregnant woman holding a baby in her arms, at that. And then they wanted to take the baby and put him down on the asphalt. In Phoenix, at this time of year, that is a seriously bad idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 08:24 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Totally agree that was a bit excessive. However those parents must have known their kid carried a doll out of there that she did not have before.

If you don’t want trouble with the law don’t steal. It is very simple.
“A bit excessive.”

SMH...sometimes I just sit back and wonder....

Old 06-16-2019, 08:26 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
This whole state is embarrassed about it. I’m embarrassed for my state and my hometown. For Phoenix cops to act like this is just mind boggling. I was speechless when I saw the video on the local news.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:27 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Totally agree that was a bit excessive. However those parents must have known their kid carried a doll out of there that she did not have before.

If you don’t want trouble with the law don’t steal. It is very simple.
Id agree but this is a little girl that didn’t know better and parents are human and make mistakes.

Mistakes like negligence such as leaving a kid home alone while you go party are obviously different. For this mom she was looking after a few kids and probably had a busy day and didn’t know the kid had a toy.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:29 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Only State agents should have guns.

- Team Red and Team Blue

Old 06-16-2019, 08:31 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,287,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
That’s what I can’t wrap my head around. Why so many cops over petty theft? It’s a family.
Good question, shadowne. This sort of psychotic overreaction by cops is why people are kneeling.

I’m just thankful no one was killed. This time.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:32 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Usually police produce weapons when there is a threat

Old 06-16-2019, 08:45 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
That’s what I can’t wrap my head around. Why so many cops over petty theft? It’s a family.
Exactly. And kids that age don't always understand that there's a transaction involving currency that takes place before you get to walk out with the goods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
The firing of the cops and possibly charging them for the crimes they would charge any civilian for doing the same exact things. That will be the lesson to other cops. The threat of them personally answering for thug behavior.

The cops involved aren't paying the 10 million. The city is, in other words we the people who agree the cops were wrong are paying for it.

Now if the plaintiffs were suing the cops involved? I am 100% for that.
When I say paying an excessive amount may prompt those in charge to clean house - I mean starting from the top with the pressure going down the chain of command. The city pays - but the mayor should be leaning on the Police Superintendent (or the guy on top of the police there) to clean house.

Instead, as we've seen time and time again in Chicago, the incident is covered up from the mayor all the way down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This whole state is embarrassed about it. I’m embarrassed for my state and my hometown. For Phoenix cops to act like this is just mind boggling. I was speechless when I saw the video on the local news.
Yeah, what happened, did you end up with some former Chicago cops or something?

Glad I don't feel like you do - I'd be embarrassed all the time with the shady ish our cops do.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:48 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
I used to teach Leadership classes where I used to work.

WE would use different scenarios as teaching tools. Make people act out certain parts.

The one that comes to mind was a team led by hard core boss, his back up his best friend and hunting partner.
The team had problems.
Some people got away with a lot, but most had to walk the straight and narrow and maximum punishment for any violations.

This team became so bad because upper leadership chose to turn a blind eye because the team delivered strong results. Right up until they didn't.

One day a fight broke out on the floor. The back up was beaten by not 1 team member but by 2 and possibly a third.

The investigation uncovered a great deal of dirt. The bottom line was upper leaders accepted the tactics used. Some were actually afraid to say anything. Some only cared about results.

You get what you accept.......... You get what you accept..........

The city accepts that bad cops exist. They accept that cops are heavy handed....

How do we know?

Empowered A-holes like those cops, at some point will always let loose and do their hearts desire. They have never faced consequences, the culture of that PD is rotten. The way they screamed at that family speaks volumes. The way they kicked the Father's legs apart. Aiming guns at unarmed people? The scary thing to me is that, I know they were hoping someone would gave them a reason to shoot. To me that is the scariest part.

I am anti-law suit or huge settlements and I always will be. They make lawyers rich. I detest lawyers.

These cops need to be first fired, then charged as any civilian who did the same exact things would be charged.
Imagine. I am Tommy Busy body, I here the store owner yell shop lifter... I take chase. Gun in hand. I start screaming profanities, threats, and demands at that family. If I didn't shot by the police,I would be arrested and charged and rightly so.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:54 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,228 times
In that situation, I would sue for enough money to say goodbye to Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies