Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 09:25 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

According to this, the Police were at the store on a call of a separate, unrelated shoplifting incident. Employees and customers told the Police about another shoplifting incident involving women and toys and directed the officers to the car in the lot. One woman dropped a box of tin foil. Police told the driver to stop/ get out. Instead, the driver pulled away with the officers in pursuit.

They dropped two woman off who dropped her bags at the curb. One had shoplifted. She also had outstanding warrants.

The driver reportedly tossed underwear he shoplifted out the window.

Other stolen items were reportedly found in the car.

Guy was driving on a suspended license.

Sounds like this extended family may be serial shoplifters.

Failing to follow Police instructions to stop tends to not have good outcomes.

In this case, a settlement will happen. No way this is going to trial.

Police clearly overreacted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 09:38 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
That along with body cams would go a long way. Their supervisors need to be taken to task also.

i agree with the body cams, they should be mandatory for ALL officers, including the higher ups.

i also think that ANY cop that does not step in to diffuse situations like this, should be charged with conspiracy to commit, and being an accomplice of any crime the initial officer is charged with.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:49 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i agree with the body cams, they should be mandatory for ALL officers, including the higher ups.

i also think that ANY cop that does not step in to diffuse situations like this, should be charged with conspiracy to commit, and being an accomplice of any crime the initial officer is charged with.
Agreed.
cops are paid to be the example, to be the go to person. They are not paid to be judge jury and executioner. The behavior of those cops screams of a culture that makes it ok to bully civilians.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:57 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Regardless of whether it was intentional or not (we're talking about a *toddler* here), the response was absurdly over the top.

Can a jury sentence you to death for shoplifting? No.
Thereby, is it justifiable for a cop to threaten to put a bullet in someone suspected of shoplifting? No.

This. Terrifying a young family is never a good policy. I just can't get why they think it's ok to do this over a doll. They said the parents shoplifted but no charges were filed....they thought the parents were armed....but still no reason to respond like they are murderers.

The cop kicking the man for not immediately following his orders was so out of place, so full of anger..
..wish he'd be fired. Bully.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:05 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:

Body cams... pft! You don't know how hard it is to get body cam footage from the DA. It takes an act of god, even after the States AG, says they MUST release it.
FoIA or not, they will stonewall you!

Here is a short, of the open records game the bad cops play, when you are treated as property.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwcOe2HfMuY

Here is the long. This guy is way more of a journalist than anyone on CNN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zds660sE8o

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmn...wRug3LA/videos

Old 06-17-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Body cams... pft! You don't know how hard it is to get body cam footage from the DA. It takes an act of god, even after the States AG, says they MUST release it.
FoIA or not, they will stonewall you!

Here is a short, of the open records game the bad cops play, when you are treated as property.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwcOe2HfMuY

Here is the long. This guy is way more of a journalist than anyone on CNN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zds660sE8o

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmn...wRug3LA/videos

i get that getting just about anything from the DA and the LEOs is hard, but one must be persistent using the courts. get a court order to the body cam footage, and the DA wont release it? file charges in federal court against the DA on a variety of charges like contempt of court, prosecutorial misconduct, conspiracy to commit, and anything else your lawyer can think up. and yes it is expensive, but then so is going to jail for a crime you didnt commit, or having to pay medical bills caused by a cop roach that should be in prison for crimes they committed while on the job.

if you are the subject of an illegal arrest, illegal harassment by the LEOs, etc. are you going to just roll over and do what they want you to do just to get along? are you going to give up all your rights because some cop roach is threatening to arrest you for not doing so? if you are then where does it end? if you really want to live in a police state then cuba or north korea might be more to your liking, otherwise exercise the laws of this country.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Agreed.
cops are paid to be the example, to be the go to person. They are not paid to be judge jury and executioner. The behavior of those cops screams of a culture that makes it ok to bully civilians.

When you remind a cop they work for you, their ego kicks in.
Public servant was sold to them in the Academy, as they are the law.
You would be surprised, a cop can lie to you, but you cannot lie to a cop.
Cops make up laws that violate a persons civil rights, on the spot.
Failure to ID is one of the biggest abuses they use. Some states, like Louisiana are Gestapo States and you must ID when asked, as if you are the States property.
Here in Texas 3802, parts a & b - State, you must have committed a crime to ID.
Cuffing you for their safety, while they detain you for an investigation and you have committed no crime, is also a big civil rights violation they commit.
Brown v. Texas

"Am I being detained?" No.... Then I will be on my way. If I am free to go, I am free to stay.

If a yes, then I will exercise my 5th amendment. It is, "Shut the **** up Friday"! They will never get ID.

Last edited by BentBow; 06-17-2019 at 10:33 AM..

Old 06-17-2019, 10:27 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Cops no longer approach situations with calmly, and they no longer talk to people. People skills are no longer a requirement for cops. All alleged infractions of any law are now approached as if those involved are armed and dangerous. If you argue and/or disagree with police orders and actions, well, that's what Tazers, sap gloves, spring batons, OC spray and sidearms are for.

Citizens are the enemy. That said yes, there are good cops out there who still try and resolve issues by talking and being calm. But agency policy more and more train officers to be soldiers on a battlefield and not keepers of the peace.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
i get that getting just about anything from the DA and the LEOs is hard, but one must be persistent using the courts. get a court order to the body cam footage, and the DA wont release it? file charges in federal court against the DA on a variety of charges like contempt of court, prosecutorial misconduct, conspiracy to commit, and anything else your lawyer can think up. and yes it is expensive, but then so is going to jail for a crime you didnt commit, or having to pay medical bills caused by a cop roach that should be in prison for crimes they committed while on the job.

if you are the subject of an illegal arrest, illegal harassment by the LEOs, etc. are you going to just roll over and do what they want you to do just to get along? are you going to give up all your rights because some cop roach is threatening to arrest you for not doing so? if you are then where does it end? if you really want to live in a police state then cuba or north korea might be more to your liking, otherwise exercise the laws of this country.
Have the ability to livestream, and always video the police!
Turner v. Driver.
Brown v. Texas

Old 06-17-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Have the ability to livestream, and always video the police!
Turner v. Driver.
Brown v. Texas

good advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies