Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 06:52 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Why didn't Obama get an agreement approved by Congress?
Two words:

Mitch McConnell.

Now you know.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 06:59 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
you guys cant be serious if you think Obama's deal was anything but a joke. they didn't stop working on nukes for 5 minutes.
The joke is on you, tRump and the rest of his followers.

The US was part of a 6 nation agreement that limited Iran and subjected them to tight inspections.

Now, they're going rogue and we all see the brilliance of tRump's tearing it up. Iran watched how tRump sucks up to Lil' Kim and is playing "Me too!" with the fool. Since the Norks get all kinds of concessions from tRump when they act badly, Iran is expecting the same.

"We'll see what happens."

Old 06-18-2019, 09:26 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
yep, all Obama did was let problems fester and leave for someone else to clean up..... worst President ever..
The point just went way over your head, didn't it?

Old 06-18-2019, 09:27 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
It was made during the Obama presidency, duh.

Yep, nice foreign policy work there.
WHAT?

Trump ripped up the treaty.

It doesn't apply any more --

How can you rip up a deal and then get mad when the other guys don't stick to the conditions of the deal.

What kind of madness is this?

Old 06-18-2019, 09:28 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Here's the thing -- the Obama Iran deal may not have been the best -- but like trying to deal with North Korea, it was trying.

Why didn't Trump address the deal itself.

He didn't - -he ripped it up and created tension.

Why didn't he walk in as the master of negotiation and get a deal.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The Iranian people are one of the most educated ME country, they were making progress but now we are back to the same old policy.
Yep. Boeing was in negotiations to sell them $20B worth of airliners, but Trump couldn't live with the idea of an Obama deal being successful, Israel's tame congresspeople hate the idea of Iran not being isolated, and of course Saudi Arabia - whose Mullahs are as bad, if not worse - are our bosom buddies, never mind the occasional bone-sawed journalist.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Here's the thing -- the Obama Iran deal may not have been the best -- but like trying to deal with North Korea, it was trying.

Why didn't Trump address the deal itself.

He didn't - -he ripped it up and created tension.

Why didn't he walk in as the master of negotiation and get a deal.
As far as I can tell, Trump and a good part of his followers flat out do not understand the idea of deals that provide mutual benefit. You either get it or give it in their world. If the other party walks away from a deal with a benefit, it's because you lost.

We had Iran pour concrete into their heavy-water reactor, put their centrifuges under lock and key, and hand over their stock of HEU. Progress.

Well, it's undone, and the idea of the US as a country you can make a deal with has taken another blow. I'd be building a nuke if I ran Iran (heh). It's the "get-out-of-US-invasion" card that actually works.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:23 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
The Iranian people are one of the most educated ME country, they were making progress but now we are back to the same old policy.
Exactly right, but going backwards for backward people is for them the only way!

All this about Obama and such as if totally ignorant of the world outside Main Street America really gets exhausting. Also as if nothing Trump does can be considered objectively let alone critically, what sort of thinking is that? Fortunately, however, there are Americans and others who are not so ignorant of all else that really needs to be considered while Trump plays King for four years...

"A special adviser to EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini blamed the United States on Tuesday for a rise in tensions between Iran and the West.

"This is happening for one reason that has not been cited so far, which is the fact that the United States has violated the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, meaning the Iran deal," Nathalie Tocci said on BBC radio's Today program, telling the U.S.: "You're not living up to your side of the bargain." "

https://www.politico.eu/article/us-i...op-eu-adviser/

What else were we supposed to expect when Trump unilaterally decided to withdraw from the agreement? Flowers?

PS: Thanks OP! For also trying...

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...d-we-beat.html

Last edited by LearnMe; 06-18-2019 at 10:32 AM..

Old 06-18-2019, 03:45 PM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Exactly right, but going backwards for backward people is for them the only way!

All this about Obama and such as if totally ignorant of the world outside Main Street America really gets exhausting. Also as if nothing Trump does can be considered objectively let alone critically, what sort of thinking is that? Fortunately, however, there are Americans and others who are not so ignorant of all else that really needs to be considered while Trump plays King for four years...

"A special adviser to EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini blamed the United States on Tuesday for a rise in tensions between Iran and the West.

"This is happening for one reason that has not been cited so far, which is the fact that the United States has violated the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, meaning the Iran deal," Nathalie Tocci said on BBC radio's Today program, telling the U.S.: "You're not living up to your side of the bargain." "

https://www.politico.eu/article/us-i...op-eu-adviser/

What else were we supposed to expect when Trump unilaterally decided to withdraw from the agreement? Flowers?

PS: Thanks OP! For also trying...

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...d-we-beat.html
Yet they expect Iran to come back to the table for a deal, now why would they trust us. We created the agreement with the 5 other countries and now we are also threatening them for abiding by the deal we created.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:19 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Yet they expect Iran to come back to the table for a deal, now why would they trust us. We created the agreement with the 5 other countries and now we are also threatening them for abiding by the deal we created.
No doubt we're not trying to build trust...

More like an effort to leverage our way toward weakening Iran into submission, with or without our allies. Whether that's the best way to accomplish greater peace in the ME and/or avoid unnecessary conflict, I have to wonder, but Trump is not about building trust in any case.

As commented before, what bothers me most of all is so much power in the hands of one person, especially someone like Trump. POTUS is a powerful office of course. We all understand the need to be nimble when our national interests are threatened, but how America has found itself engaging in war going back at least to Vietnam seems well beyond what our founding fathers had in mind. This use of our military and/or going to war without more appropriate "checks and balances" seems badly flawed if you ask me. I mean, if our purpose and strategy is sound, Congress should be quick to get on board, like say with Desert Storm, and even then we make mistakes like invading Iraq! Given all at stake, up to and including possible nuclear conflict, seems we should surely do better in terms of protocol well beyond whatever Trump sees fit. Right!?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies