Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 10:34 PM

8,231 posts, read 3,488,380 times

Advertisements

The local library does this. It can be really helpful to some people. It's mostly just snacks instead of a meal though. They call it lunch, but it is usually stuff like a pack of crackers. On the weekends they let the adults have some as well and homeless adults come in and have a snack.

A lot of kids would go hungry during the school year if they didn't get school lunches. At the last school I went to I often didn't eat even though I was supposed to have free lunch. The lunch period was only so long and I was usually at the end of the line. The bell ending the lunch period would sometimes ring before I even got to sit down, so I didn't get to eat that day. If you didn't leave the cafeteria after the bell rang you got into trouble no matter how hungry you were. I was extremely skinny and malnourished when I was a child. You can tell by old pictures of me back then. I was a skeleton with skin and looked very sickly. Sometimes I snuck some of the food out off my tray and ate it on way to class when staff wasn't looking. You could get into trouble for that as well.

I was often very hungry. I stole food from stores when I was a kid sometimes to have something to eat. A lot of kids live like that.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:42 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Name a first world nation that doesn’t provide hot meals to schoolchildren.
Norway.

In Canada it depends on which providence, many elementary school have no kitchen facilities.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:43 PM

4,507 posts, read 1,862,401 times
Wonder how many of these “hungry” kids own an iPhone and have high speed internet at home...

I guess those things are more important than food.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:50 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,067 times
The OP asked the question as to why low income parents who already receive food stamps based on the number of family members also need this service and no one has provided an answer. Makes me think this is a backhanded way of increasing those entitlements, which *hopefully* would be adequate on their own.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:14 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,087,205 times
Kids don’t have lunch money but parents have booze and cigarettes. I have nothing against hot lunches in schools as long as the parents pay for them. I had hot lunches too but when my parents were short I took a sack lunch . Before hot lunches even started in my area we all took sack lunches.

I just think today more than ever there’s a mentality that other people will provide for your children if you can’t or are unwilling. Even as adults, others will feed me, clothe me, house me, etc. It permeates everything. Free school clothes, free shoes, free backpacks, and on and on.

Sometimes my school clothes came from Goodwill, and I was like I hope the girl whose Mom donated this to the store doesn’t recognize her dress. Some years stuff would be new if Dad wasn’t laid off over the winter, other years lean, but no handouts .

Old 06-18-2019, 05:53 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
I guarantee you that if a family is getting WIC and EBT they are getting plenty of food. Add food pantry services and that fills the gaps. They're already getting free breakfasts and lunches in schools during the school year. Add to that housing assistance and husbands working but not being married so their families get maximum benefits, they do fine.
Many EBT purchases are poor ones so they may not be making the most of the services that they could. Microwave meals, soda and junk food, they should not be allowed purchases.
My sister works in a lunch room and they see a lot of waste. Kids eat at home, then come in for free food and waste what they don't want.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:01 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Because being made forcibly poorer to fund one of the states many vote purchasing schemes is how its done in every "developed" country

Old 06-18-2019, 06:03 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
I heard on the radio today there's a program to give free breakfast and lunch to anyone 18 and under all summer long. The program is called Summer Food Service Program and the part that really got my attention was it stated there was no paperwork or eligibility requirements at all, so even middle or upper middle class kids, teens qualify.

Am I crazy or does this sound insane? Why am I paying for other kids breakfast and lunch everyday all summer long? What is all this nonsense about kids starving? Even if you are low income there's food stamps to cover that! Do people really believe there's that many adults that would let their kids starve if it weren't for programs like this?

And how exactly are they going to determine who's over 18? When did it become the taxpayers responsibility to start feeding every kid and teen in this country?

The Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) is available in hundreds of communities throughout Oregon, offering free meals and snacks to all kids ages 1-18. Community summer meal programs are open to all families without paperwork or signing up – kids can just drop in. Many programs also offer fun activities so kids can stay active and keep learning.

https://www.summerfoodoregon.org
I've done some research into the whole 1 out of 5 kids goes to bed hungry every night.

With programs like this, which are ALL OVER, where is that statistic coming from?

When was the last time you saw a very skinny elementary school kid?

Old 06-18-2019, 06:15 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Since when are taxpayers on the hook to feed every kid/teen all summer?
Sadly, ever since parents refused to accept ANY responsibility for parenting. Not just "all summer"-when did the taxpayers get put on the hook for providing a hot lunch to every kid all throughout the school year? When did parents become too lazy to pack their kids a PB&J or bologna sandwich?

Old 06-18-2019, 06:18 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 26 days ago)

27,645 posts, read 16,129,622 times
Enabling. Actually it is mostly illegal aliens and their kids benefiting from what I saw in my area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies