Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 10:26 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,519,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunspots View Post
Dodgeball is a stupid game to force kids to play. If idiots want to get hit in the face with a ball, no problem but gym teachers forcing kids to do it should be illegal. As you can see from some of the posts, dodgeball is a game that seems to be enjoyed only by cruel sociopaths. WTF is wrong with the posters that claim to have enjoyed hurting people, you are some sick mfers.

All I remember about dodgeball is how easy it was to get out of playing if you wanted to. When the game begins you simply get hit on purpose and your day is done. I had a few friends and we would always toss the ball at each other so we could sit down and not have to deal with the mental midgets that treated it like an audition for Lord of the Flies or the prison yard.
I thought most schools had discontinued dodgeball a long time ago. I'm not a huge fan but it wasn't the worst game either.

I remember my son's after school program let the kids play some form of dodgeball but they had another name for it; it was more complex with some light sabers and different rules (these were young kids).
He LOVED it and no one seemed to get hurt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 10:27 AM

3,372 posts, read 1,565,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunspots View Post
Dodgeball is a stupid game to force kids to play. If idiots want to get hit in the face with a ball, no problem but gym teachers forcing kids to do it should be illegal. As you can see from some of the posts, dodgeball is a game that seems to be enjoyed only by cruel sociopaths. WTF is wrong with the posters that claim to have enjoyed hurting people, you are some sick mfers.

All I remember about dodgeball is how easy it was to get out of playing if you wanted to. When the game begins you simply get hit on purpose and your day is done. I had a few friends and we would always toss the ball at each other so we could sit down and not have to deal with the mental midgets that treated it like an audition for Lord of the Flies or the prison yard.

^ Founder of safe spaces, inc.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:41 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,592,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazpart View Post
Have fun with your knee replacements
Your knees are fine if you run on a soft surface, and land on the balls of your feet rather than your heels

Old 06-18-2019, 10:45 AM

18,490 posts, read 9,154,471 times
Dodgeball is a hilarious movie. Not sure why anyone would call it oppressive or dehumanizing.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:49 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,843,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDiFiore View Post
Dodgeball is awesome. As long as you want to play it.
That always helps
I loved dodgeball. I was never very athletic but dodgeball is a game that doesn't take much athletic ability IMO.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:14 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,668,041 times
Most everyone I know who was serious into sports after they were 14 has lifetime injuries. Not to say they are all very bad, but when your knees are bad in your 30's due to college soccer or even field hockey, you have to look back and wonder whether it was all worthwhile.......

Luckily for me, I found women and pot more satisfying. Neither of them hurt my knees, arms, wrists or head.

Now I'm 65 and can still sail and play tennis and walk miles and climb ladders.....

If nothing else, kids should be schooled on moderation and how we only get one body to work with. Of course, since the parents and coaches may not even realize this (or care), that's not gonna happen.

I remember the book "What are the chances" - and it asked the odds of an NFL playing having dehabilitating lifetime injuries...???

100%

Old 06-18-2019, 11:15 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,161,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Yes- Isn't it great! Dodgeball was an outstanding exercise in life played out in microcosm.

My thoughts exactly! Dodgeball teaches life lessons. It's really difficult to comfort and coddle a kid when he has a big red ball speeding towards his head traveling 60 miles an hour.

But this is good. Kids today are too soft and by the time they are adults they are ill prepared for life. Problem is that once they do enter the work force, mommy's comforting embrace is removed and they have to show up to work, learn how to overcome hurdles and real life obstacles and many are simply clueless.

Ah but I digress....

Old 06-18-2019, 11:17 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,587,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I remember playing...it WAS weird, because the few who had really good arms could really mash the regular folks against the wall. It was OK when we were younger and no one could throw missiles, but as we got bigger and older it was certainly a little scary at times!
They play it at our church. My son is VERY good at dodging and is often lastish to be hit tho can only throw mediocre. IE if he plays his strong defense he does well. BUT... Eventually it is these two teen guys who always play together and if my son is on the other team... They throw missiles. Especially this one who can throw a curve that does not start curving until late. He can even throw it to curve UP!

Old 06-18-2019, 11:18 AM

4,545 posts, read 3,746,709 times
We had 2 types of dodgeball (our gym teacher called it "warball" though)

old warball - the typical game where if you get hit, you are out and the last person standing wins

new warball - you don't get "out" if you get hit with a ball, the gym teacher sits in the middle with 2 counters and counts the number of hits each team gets.

the new warball was more popular and I remember kids had much less of a problem with it. the old warball was a way to shame people.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:19 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,668,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
That always helps
I loved dodgeball. I was never very athletic but dodgeball is a game that doesn't take much athletic ability IMO.
We had a wimpy friend who was funny as heck...but had a tiny body and no coordination. I remember in 10th grade or so and we all were being taught gymnastics....and he couldn't do a simpler somersault. The Gym Teacher was screaming at him "C'mon, Rosenberg, you WIMP" and all he did was about 1/2 a turn and then went onto his side.

I was lucky (??) enough to be sent to Military School in 9th grade for being a bad boy.....but their Gym program was unbelievable. Having been the "husky kid" (like steak and potatoes), they whipped me into shape in a good way.....the worked with me little by little. In 6 months I could do front handsprings, walk on my hands, the bars and the horse and climb ropes. Truly amazing, but that takes a certain type of teacher and a good program.

When I started and said "I can't do this", they didn't yell. They said "We will take you through the baby steps to show you what your body is capable of doing and then you will be able to do just about anything"....

And they were right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies