Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 04:44 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Never was a Dead Head. Too commercial.

That said, Jerry Garcia was a damn fine musician. He could play with any group. I found him playing roots and blue grass. How can any body compare them to Trump?
His first stringed instrument as a child was the banjo. He played in several blue grass bands. In an interview I once read, he credited part of his unique style of guitar playing to his earlier banjo playing. He was a great mandolin player too. He continued playing blue grass until the day he died. He did a lot of amazing stuff with a mandolin player named David Grisman.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:00 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
Quote:
Never was a Dead Head. Too commercial.

That said, Jerry Garcia was a damn fine musician. He could play with any group. I found him playing roots and blue grass. How can any body compare them to Trump?
One of my all time favorites. Could play anything. A born musician. Contrast that with Trump who brags about giving his music teacher a black eye because "I thought he didn't know anything about music.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:09 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
His first stringed instrument as a child was the banjo. He played in several blue grass bands. In an interview I once read, he credited part of his unique style of guitar playing to his earlier banjo playing. He was a great mandolin player too. He continued playing blue grass until the day he died. He did a lot of amazing stuff with a mandolin player named David Grisman.
Got all the Garcia/Grisman stuff. It's really good.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:11 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Got all the Grisman stuff. It's really good. And my banjo, mandolin playing grandkids love it.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Got all the Grisman stuff. It's really good. And my banjo, mandolin playing grandkids love it.
It’s not widely known, but they started as a jug band, then LSD came along and morphed them into the Grateful Dead.

Well, actually, it morphed them into The Warlocks, until they discovered the name was taken by another band, so they changed it to The Grateful Dead.

The original Warlocks eventually ended up changing their name to the Velvet Underground.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:36 PM

5,790 posts, read 3,595,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Trump rallies are the classiest crowds you'll ever see in America and maybe the entire world.
Are you effin kidding me? He uses despicable wording at his rallies to stoke hatred of certain targets of rally-goers ire. He told a crowd to "knock the crap out of them" and he'd pay for an attendee's legal bills. His campaigns are so low in class that parent's had to keep their kids away from the evening news (!!!!). Plus, any school (especially elementary and high schools) with half-way decent discipline would have given in-school suspension if a student did or said anything Trump did.

I suppose it might be classy by state pen standards, but not by the standards of any environment remotely qualifying for polite company or one we want to raise our kids in. If I ever start using definitions and criteria of class that you're apparently using, I hope my nephews and nieces would have the good sense to refuse to have anything to do with me or at least call me out on my behavior.

Quote:
With such a large crowd, you'd expect many problems and conflicts, but Trump supporters are the classiest people in America.
The 1963 March on Washington was huge, and seemed quite well-behaved.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:27 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times
Quote:
It’s not widely known, but they started as a jug band, then LSD came along and morphed them into the Grateful Dead.

Well, actually, it morphed them into The Warlocks, until they discovered the name was taken by another band, so they changed it to The Grateful Dead.

The original Warlocks eventually ended up changing their name to the Velvet Underground.
Which is funny, because in towns where they were banned form playing in later years, they played under the title Warlocks... which is the only time I ever got to see them.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Which is funny, because in towns where they were banned form playing in later years, they played under the title Warlocks... which is the only time I ever got to see them.
Actually, that was just once. Hampton Coliseum, Hampton VA. I was there too. It was around 88 or 89.

If you were only going to see them once, that was the right time. Those two shows were two of the best.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:33 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Trump rallies like going to see the Grateful Dead?

One gets the impression that there are people who go to one rally after another. Retirees with RV's or Airstreams could make multiple destinations and do the tailgate thing if that's what makes them happy.

There is also the fact that Trump often hit's the same familiar themes time after time, sort of a 'greatest hits' of Trump, we have all seen it. I have never understood the obsessing over celebrities to the point of following them around like groupies.

I wonder if they will follow Trump around to his court appearances after he leaves office ...
Funny.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:34 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
While the comparison to the Deadheads is shallow, there are lots of similarities.

The Deadheads liked to wear identifiers; for them, it was tie-dye, for the Trumpettes, it's red caps.

The Deadheads did come to hear the greatest hits, done live, with many improvised riffs on the theme that could stretch on for a long time in a free-form sort of jam session.

Trump now does the same thing. He starts with his greatest hits, riffs on them, improvises off the top of his head, and stretches them out.

They are no longer rallies in the traditional sense. The political rally was always a place where the voters had their first, and usually their only, opportunity to see a candidate live and learn what he was all about.

Trump's 'rallies' are much more like the Dead's tailgate parties, with all the commercial sales stands selling Trump goods and a large bunch of Trumpettes following Trump from place to place. Even a casual observer can see the same people in the crowd in every one of them.

I think that if he wasn't hindered by the obligations of the Presidency, Trump would be traveling full-time from one city to another, riffing and jamming, just like the Grateful Dead. They're the only time he actually looks happy now.

There's one big difference: The Grateful Dead shows were never mean spirited. Everyone arrived happy, were joyful during the show, and left full of happiness and joy.

There's always a lot of lurking meanness, anger and fear in Trump's rallies, but never any truly joyful spirit.
No doubt there are more than a few similarities and/or differences between Trump rallies and Dead shows, and you do a good job of describing some of them. Another is the different smell in the air...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies