Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 11:59 AM

29,526 posts, read 9,700,562 times

Advertisements

This might be one of the weirdest comparisons I've heard in a long time, and from someone at NPR a little hard to believe. Blaspheme for most Dead fans that no doubt has Jerry Garcia rolling over in his grave...

"It's going to be sort of a big classic Trump rally, like the ones that he held toward the end of his campaign where he filled arenas all over the country. And there will be tailgating, because Trump rallies are in some ways like going to see the Grateful Dead. You get to hear the songs you want to hear. And he always plays the greatest hits, if you will."

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/ta...cratic-debates

Like the Grateful Dead were about playing their greatest hits. Though her political insights are generally far better nuanced, no doubt she has never been to a Dead concert and doesn't understand that comparing Trump to Grateful Dead concerts is something like comparing...

Well don't get me started!

Old 06-19-2019, 12:01 PM

8,493 posts, read 4,552,009 times
They are much more like the THE WALKING DEAD.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:03 PM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Well Trump does have a devout following just like the Dead do but I think the comparisons should end there.

The people on NPR are nutty and always reaching to try and stay relevant and unified in their dislike of Trump.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:16 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Trump rallies like going to see the Grateful Dead?

One gets the impression that there are people who go to one rally after another. Retirees with RV's or Airstreams could make multiple destinations and do the tailgate thing if that's what makes them happy.

There is also the fact that Trump often hit's the same familiar themes time after time, sort of a 'greatest hits' of Trump, we have all seen it. I have never understood the obsessing over celebrities to the point of following them around like groupies.

I wonder if they will follow Trump around to his court appearances after he leaves office ...

Old 06-19-2019, 12:24 PM

18,453 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
This might be one of the weirdest comparisons I've heard in a long time, and from someone at NPR a little hard to believe. Blaspheme for most Dead fans that no doubt has Jerry Garcia rolling over in his grave...

"It's going to be sort of a big classic Trump rally, like the ones that he held toward the end of his campaign where he filled arenas all over the country. And there will be tailgating, because Trump rallies are in some ways like going to see the Grateful Dead. You get to hear the songs you want to hear. And he always plays the greatest hits, if you will."

Like the Grateful Dead were about playing their greatest hits. Though her political insights are generally far better nuanced, no doubt she has never been to a Dead concert and doesn't understand that comparing Trump to Grateful Dead concerts is something like comparing...

On the one hand, how many “greatest (commercial) hits” did they have? 3? But on the other hand, to a deadhead, almost all of their songs are greatest hits, and you could count on hearing a lot of them if you went to a 3 show run, although, they were different every time you heard them.

I have been to probably about 150 Grateful Dead shows, but never went to a Trump rally. I dont think I need to go to one to know that it is a weird comparison. Maybe she meant that they are both, sort of, counter culture, in their own ways?

Old 06-19-2019, 12:32 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
While the comparison to the Deadheads is shallow, there are lots of similarities.

The Deadheads liked to wear identifiers; for them, it was tie-dye, for the Trumpettes, it's red caps.

The Deadheads did come to hear the greatest hits, done live, with many improvised riffs on the theme that could stretch on for a long time in a free-form sort of jam session.

Trump now does the same thing. He starts with his greatest hits, riffs on them, improvises off the top of his head, and stretches them out.

They are no longer rallies in the traditional sense. The political rally was always a place where the voters had their first, and usually their only, opportunity to see a candidate live and learn what he was all about.

Trump's 'rallies' are much more like the Dead's tailgate parties, with all the commercial sales stands selling Trump goods and a large bunch of Trumpettes following Trump from place to place. Even a casual observer can see the same people in the crowd in every one of them.

I think that if he wasn't hindered by the obligations of the Presidency, Trump would be traveling full-time from one city to another, riffing and jamming, just like the Grateful Dead. They're the only time he actually looks happy now.

There's one big difference: The Grateful Dead shows were never mean spirited. Everyone arrived happy, were joyful during the show, and left full of happiness and joy.

There's always a lot of lurking meanness, anger and fear in Trump's rallies, but never any truly joyful spirit.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:33 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Longtime dead fan here, and always hated Trump, but that may be a good comparison.

Both of them:
People on the stage past their prime, but still filling stadiums
People on the stage often forgot their lines and went off script.
Tens of thousands of people, out of their minds, lapping up whatever comes through the PA, no matter what!

The difference is that the Dead were always evolving, changing, and challenging boundries for the good. Trump, same old crap, just changing his lies to see what will make it through the BS filter.

Oh, and unlike Trump, the Dead built The Wall, and it was a beautiful thing!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-19-2019, 12:50 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

"There are more people in line for the bathroom right now at the Trump Campaign Kickoff, than there were in total at Joe Biden’s “rally” last week, in both Pennsylvania and Florida, combined."

The repeat of 2015.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:52 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Jerry Garcia wouldn't agree w/ that one.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:28 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
well at least when trump has a rally he doesnt have to invite music and movie stars to that rally to get fans to show up, like hillary did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies