Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2019, 12:55 PM

62,528 posts, read 28,742,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Humans are tribal but we Humans decide what tribe to assign ourselves to.
You could pick the land you were born or you could embrace the place you are which is what the USA is built on.
It is ok for new people to bring new things, its the reason why the English language has a word for everything, because we built other cultural words and influences into our language. We use French, Mexican, English, Chinese, Japanese, German nearly everyday by adding those words and their meanings to our culture.

Then what does that make the USA?
We have cultural differences from region to region, state to state. We have different accents, cultural backgrounds, come from different lands, have different customs yet we have not "tumbled into barbarism or devolution".

Seem the article writer ignored the greatest example of Multiculturalism, the United States of America.

Multiculturalism allowed the USA to win WW2. Those engineers that designed our Atom bombs were German and not of the same "culture" as us. Get over it already.
For the umpteenth time we have an identifying culture and language we are not multi-cultural per se. We simply have minority foreign cultures living among us. All countries have foreign immigrants living in them but they still have their own unique/identifying cultures and languages. I have given the examples of Asian countries being identified as Asian culturally and Hispanic countries being identified as Hispanic culturally and the fact that there are foreign immigrants/cultures that reside within their countries does not change that fact!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Setting aside the illegal part, yes we are being enriched by the growing Hispanic community, who are assimilating as rapidly as any group of immigrants ever have. My mother's family came from Germany in 1860. When she was growing up in the 1930s her parents still spoke German in the home and in church. To this day, her hometown celebrates its German heritage with Oktoberfest, bratwurst, beer and polka. No one accused them of not joining the melting pot.
Really, if Hispanics are assimilating so well then why don't they speak English in public when they know how to? If they are assimilating so well then why do so many not have any respect for our immigration laws but instead a tribal mentality for their ethnic group? Ethnic celebrations are one thing and nothing wrong with that. What I am talking about is assimilation in general out in mainstream and respect for our laws and values.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
And rock music can be influenced by foreign cultures. And some American artists take ques from foreign cultures and adapt it to their music..
So what? You're missing the point as many others in here are.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Do you have to remind Americans every day that we are not like other countries? The only people who are native to the United States are the American Indians. The original culture in the United States was British so unless we are going to return back to British rule I don’t understand what everyone wants to return back to?

America is nothing but a melting pot. All of the things that make America what it is our music culture every thing is derived from one big melting pot. The United States is the one shining example in the world that shows multiculturalism works. Yet somehow we spend our after hour day after day debating on how to ruin it how to destroy it?

Why build A house and fortify it with the military from outside intruders just to destroy it from the inside?
Wrong! Even the so called native Americans migrated here from somewhere else they didn't just sprout up out of the ground like corn you know. So no, they weren't natives anymore that those who migrated here after them.

We used to be a melting pot but now we are turning into a salad bowl. Once again, we are not a multi-cultural nation per se. We have an identifying culture and language with foreign minority cultures among us. Yes, we are being slowly destroyed from inside and this push for multi-culterism is one of the things that will destroy us. United we stand, divided we fall.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:09 PM

8,402 posts, read 6,774,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Really, if Hispanics are assimilating so well then why don't they speak English in public when they know how to? If they are assimilating so well then why do so many not have any respect for our immigration laws but instead a tribal mentality for their ethnic group? Ethnic celebrations are one thing and nothing wrong with that. What I am talking about is assimilation in general out in mainstream and respect for our laws and values.
I’m guessing if someone is a recent immigrant from Europe and spoke say French, German or Italian in public you wouldn’t have a problem. Your ideology is pretty clear isn’t it?

Old 06-27-2019, 01:10 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,076,248 times
Quote:
So what? You're missing the point as many others in here are.
Not really.

But if missing the point means that Im cool sitting next to an asian co worker and really only care about what Im gonna have for lunch instead of losing my s*** every time I hear a foreign language, then miss me with that point bro..

Old 06-27-2019, 01:13 PM

25,918 posts, read 24,596,386 times
Quote:
Wrong! Even the so called native Americans migrated here from somewhere else they didn't just sprout up out of the ground like corn you know. So no, they weren't natives anymore that those who migrated here after them.

We used to be a melting pot but now we are turning into a salad bowl. Once again, we are not a multi-cultural nation per se. We have an identifying culture and language with foreign minority cultures among us. Yes, we are being slowly destroyed from inside and this push for multi-culterism is one of the things that will destroy us. United we stand, divided we fall.
Wrong. Natives refers to the first inhabitants of a given region. Native Americans/Indios are the natives of the Americas. White, blacks etc. are not natives.
Same in Australia, the blacks/aboriginals are the natives, regardless of the fact that their ancestors migrated there like 60k+ years ago.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Not really.

But if missing the point means that Im cool sitting next to an asian co worker and really only care about what Im gonna have for lunch instead of losing my s*** every time I hear a foreign language, then miss me with that point bro..
So you're for non-assimilation of foreigners out in mainstream America?....got it! By the way, does your Asian co-worker also know English? Isn't it better to be able to communicate with one another than not?

Old 06-27-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I’m guessing if someone is a recent immigrant from Europe and spoke say French, German or Italian in public you wouldn’t have a problem. Your ideology is pretty clear isn’t it?
Nope, I have no problem with recent arrivals that don't know English but I would be proud if they did learn it and spoke it out in mainstream America. Is that a problem to you?

Actually, in today's world I think that immigrants should know English before migrating here.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:25 PM

203 posts, read 120,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You really wanna make an argument against my contention that Europe has historically been an incredibly savage continent? You really wanna go there? Really? Take a look at immediate postwar Europe in pictures and try arguing otherwise. And keep in mind that only a few decades earlier, they’d played out the same old spiel with 10 million deaths. In the interregnum, Stalin, a European, murdered what is conservatively thought to be about 20 million. I’ll take it upon myself to add a few million more that missed the count.

Western Europe? Let’s keep in mind that an ethnic group that I love and respect for their brilliance, culture and contributions to science, music and other arts is ALSO responsible for Auschwitz, Bergen Belsen, Mauthausen, Sobibor, Dachau and the Warsaw Ghetto....and that’s just for starters. Their Einsatzgruppen marched across Eastern Europe in 4 teams killing millions more by using the local populations to do most of the heavy work. Einsatzgruppen worked in small teams themselves. They nearly eliminated two whole ethnic groups off the face of the Earth and had plans to rid the continent of Slavic People...a number that would’ve reached the multiple tens of millions.

And just in case you want to isolate that issue to that one ethnic group (the Germans), let’s not forget their more than willing accomplices from nations all across Europe. The Germans couldn’t have possibly carried those crimes out on their own.

Why do people want to come to Europe now? Because thanks to the United States and the Cold War, Europe saw the longest period of peace and stabilization that was virtually unknown on the continent. The Europeans didn’t come up with that plan on their own. They aren’t predisposed to long periods of Continental bliss. Peace was imposed on them.

So quite naturally, people want to immigrate to Europe.
You misunderstand me. I said if Europe has been predisposed to savagery, why do people want to move there. I didn't say Europe hasn't been savage -- of course it has, as has every place. You needn't give me a verbose history lesson or presuppose what I think or know.

According to your last two paragraphs, the only reason people are flooding to Europe nowadays is because the U.S. clamped down on Europe, forcing it to be peaceful, so it's safe to enter. So, how long will this imposed peace last? I find your explanation overly simplified, incorrect, and offensive to Europeans. According to your theory, the minute the U.S. leaves Europe alone, it will revert back to its naturally barbaric state. Immigrants, beware ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies