Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can we have a peaceful divorce at this point?
Yes 5 16.67%
No 25 83.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 08:59 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,820,981 times

Advertisements

Half the country wants a fundamentalist Christian theocracy in which Biblical law and traditional social norms are strictly enforced. The other half wants a secular social democracy similar to post-Christian Europe with universal healthcare and other social safety nets. There's no reconciling these two visions for America. There's no way to compromise between these two agendas.

The theocrats believe that the liberals are demon possessed and Satanic while the social democrats believe that the theocrats are unhinged hateful bigots. The coastal urban states will NEVER accept living in a theocracy and the Bible Belt will NEVER accept a secular social democracy. I'm thinking it's time to split the country under the condition that people have a "grace period" to migrate if they need to, so that liberals, non-Christians, LGBT, etc and flee the Bible Belt and the fundamentalists in California and other liberal states can migrate the other direction.

Old 12-06-2019, 09:11 AM

13,973 posts, read 5,634,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Half the country wants a fundamentalist Christian theocracy in which Biblical law and traditional social norms are strictly enforced.
I don't buy this assertion as even remotely true, not for one second. I'd like to see the research and facts you used for this assertion.
Quote:
The other half wants a secular social democracy similar to post-Christian Europe with universal healthcare and other social safety nets. There's no reconciling these two visions for America. There's no way to compromise between these two agendas.
Same as above. I don't buy this assertion as even remotely true, not for one second. I'd like to see the research and facts you used for this assertion.

Europe isn't post Christian. It simply isn't ruled by one or several churches. Plenty of Christianity all over Europe. Visit Central or Eastern Europe sometime. You'll see all sorts of Christianity, trust me. The US isn't post Christian either, we just have never been ruled by a church, and to this day are not.

That theocracy thing is only alive and well in the Muslim world. Even Israel isn't ruled by religion. Nope, only the Muslims seem to rule via religious doctrine.
Quote:
The theocrats believe that the liberals are demon possessed and Satanic while the social democrats believe that the theocrats are unhinged hateful bigots. The coastal urban states will NEVER accept living in a theocracy and the Bible Belt will NEVER accept a secular social democracy. I'm thinking it's time to split the country under the condition that people have a "grace period" to migrate if they need to, so that liberals, non-Christians, LGBT, etc and flee the Bible Belt and the fundamentalists in California can migrate the other direction.
So you take your two flawed original arguments and meld them into one even more flawed single argument?

Who are these theocrats, where do they hold power and from where do you base the claim that they actually believe that liberals are demon possessed? The Bible Belt, btw, IS A SECULAR DEMOCRACY because every state in the Bible Belt is guided by a state constitution that is of the same form as the US Constitution, which guarantee a republican form of secular representative government. Name the state among the 50 that actually is governed by a specific church rather than a democratically elected House, Senate and Governor? Please, by all means, given this theocracy being such a visceral, real treat and all.

You do realize that your entire post reads like the fevered dream of a paranoid lunatic? Yes?

Old 12-06-2019, 09:12 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,562,333 times
This hot take is "special"

Old 12-06-2019, 09:14 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,955,586 times
Sometimes you read threads on here that actually cause you to lose brain cells as you read them. This is one of them.

Old 12-06-2019, 09:16 AM

45,439 posts, read 60,638,057 times
And also regret the time you'll never get back because you read them.

I know that on my deathbed I'll be thinking, "Damn, I wish I'd read more of Bawac's nonsensical, irrational, incoherent and paranoid rantings".

Old 12-06-2019, 09:17 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,434,150 times
No, half the country does not want a theocracy. Stop listening to MSNBC and other nutter MSM spew.

Three slappies, two eyerolls, and a hand.

:

Old 12-06-2019, 09:18 AM

27,660 posts, read 16,151,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Sometimes you read threads on here that actually cause you to lose brain cells as you read them. This is one of them.
Run outta reps

Old 12-06-2019, 09:20 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,385,948 times
Quote:
Half the country wants a fundamentalist Christian theocracy in which Biblical law and traditional social norms are strictly enforced. The other half wants a secular social democracy similar to post-Christian Europe with universal healthcare and other social safety nets. There's no reconciling these two visions for America. There's no way to compromise between these two agendas.

The theocrats believe that the liberals are demon possessed and Satanic while the social democrats believe that the theocrats are unhinged hateful bigots. The coastal urban states will NEVER accept living in a theocracy and the Bible Belt will NEVER accept a secular social democracy. I'm thinking it's time to split the country under the condition that people have a "grace period" to migrate if they need to, so that liberals, non-Christians, LGBT, etc and flee the Bible Belt and the fundamentalists in California and other liberal states can migrate the other direction.
That is the most childish, ridiculous, over-simplistic summary of the situation I’ve ever heard. I don’t know a single Republican who is even religious, let along calling for theocracy.

7,975 posts, read 7,357,106 times
Ummm, OP...you do know that not all fiscal/social conservatives and Trump supporters are practicing Christians, or even religious? Many of us are (shudder) agnostic/atheist. You are starting to sound similar to my crazy Seventh Day Adventist in-laws who insist the government is going to institute a National Sunday Law, and throw them in jail for worshiping on Saturday.

12,265 posts, read 6,478,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Truth is often painful is it not? Hold onto your remaining brain cells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies