Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2019, 12:55 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Well he just listed them for you, so a climb up the learning curve is not only due, but also expected.

Man, if I heard a white person talking about blacks the way you do, I would deck him.

Yeah....like poor people never heard anyone say "get an education" or "stay out of trouble" or "don't have kids before your a certain age". Nope. They have never heard that. I am surprised that no one has thought to suggest that to poor people. It's so simple. Maybe we should erect billboards all through poor communities telling them about school, saying no to drugs, not have kids out of wedlock, working hard.....because obviously no one has mentioned these concepts to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 01:11 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Yeah....like poor people never heard anyone say "get an education" or "stay out of trouble" or "don't have kids before your a certain age". Nope. They have never heard that. I am surprised that no one has thought to suggest that to poor people. It's so simple. Maybe we should erect billboards all through poor communities telling them about school, saying no to drugs, not have kids out of wedlock, working hard.....because obviously no one has mentioned these concepts to them.
Considering the squalor that characterizes them, they apparently take it no more seriously than you.

It's so much easier to come on here every day, insult people, and demand free money.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:22 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Black crime rate and single parent families were lower than that of whites in the 1930s. If the repercussions of slavery are such strong forces in current crime rates and the incidence of single parent families, why did it not affect blacks in the 1920s and 1930s?

from 1890 to 1950 black percentage participation in the work force was higher than that of whites.

Think about what happened in the 1960s.

Both items in the bold are incorrect.

Crime statistics in general were somewhat created and made a huge part of America's social fabric in order to "prove" the inferiority of particular ethnic groups. It has always been done more to/for blacks than any other groups. Blacks have always been imprisoned more than whites in America and in statistics for crimes more than whites in America so crime rates for blacks have always been higher.

The out of wedlock/single parenting rates for black families has always been 3 times higher than it has been for whites, until the 1990s/2000s where now it is only twice the rate of whites.

For both single parent rates and crime rates - neither have the negative impact on blacks today that they had in the past, especially not single parenting.

In the 1920s and 1930s the majority of blacks were living under apartheid terrorism by whites in this country. The repercussions of those eras 1920s-1960s would be much more lucrative for black Americans to be given reparations for. There were a lot of racial attacks of whites against blacks in that era that can be proved. As can systematic discrimination by local, state, and the federal government. But you all want to talk about slavery lol. And out of wedlock births and crime. Out of wedlock births are not a detriment to black people like you think it is and crime has decreased since the 1970s-1990s in the black demographic as other factors have gotten better. Remove that all encompassing apartheid terrorism and things got better.

But again, I will agree that government is not going to do anything to help the black demographic. I do agree that reparations are owed but they won't happen. The person you're going back and forth with knows they won't happen either like all other sane black people. However, they are owed and they are not just owed for slavery.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Considering the squalor that characterizes them, they apparently take it no more seriously than you.

It's so much easier to come on here every day, insult people, and demand free money.

What power do I have to demand anything? I have never even asked for anything. I have stated that reparations will NEVER happen. Why would I demand something that I know has no chance of happening. That makes no sense.

The bottom line is this. The number one cause of future poverty is present poverty, barring economic calamity, recessions, depressions, etc. Being in an environment of poor people socializes one to have values and choices of poor people. Some people manage to rise above this circumstance....however, most don't. Concentrated poverty trains people how to be poor.

If you were raised in a middle class environment.....you have no excuse not to be middle class as an adult, unless the economy that created the middle class changed. For example, if you community was middle class because of good paying manufacturing jobs....then those jobs died out due to changes in the economy or plant relocation, then emulating what you witnessed others doing is not going to reproduce your social status, because those opportunities are no longer available.

If You are born into a wealthy environment, you have no excuse not being wealthy, because you have everything there to teach you the choices that wealthy people make.

By the same token, if you are poor.....IT'S NOT AN EXCUSE WHY you remain poor. You are simply socialized to be poor and you are EXTRAORDINARY if you are able to rise above it. Those who rise above poverty and circumstance does not mean that those who did not simply did not try, no more than it means that a person with stage 4 cancer, who beat it, makes those who did not beat it at personal fault.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 05-01-2019 at 01:37 PM..

Old 05-01-2019, 01:35 PM

18,563 posts, read 7,368,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
I know. He doesn't want the black underclass to bear any responsibility for their lot in life.
But are they responsible? They're responding to incentives put in place by LBJ and his backers, which were presumably intended to cause the destruction of the black family, just like "fair housing" laws were apparently intended to destroy white neighborhoods.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:37 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
What power do I have to demand anything? I have never even asked for anything. I have stated that reparations will NEVER happen. Why would I demand something that I know has no chance of happening. That makes no sense.

The bottom line is this. The number one cause of future poverty is present poverty, barring economic calamity, recessions, depressions, etc. Being in an environment of poor people socializes one to have values and choices of poor people. Some people manage to rise above this circumstance....however, most don't. Concentrated poverty trains people how to be poor.

If you were raised in a middle class environment.....you have no excuse not to be middle class as an adult, unless the economy that created the middle class changed. For example, if you community was middle class because of good paying manufacturing jobs....then those jobs died out due to changes in the economy or plant relocation, then emulating what you witnessed others doing is not going to reproduce your social status, because those opportunities are no longer available.

If You are born into a wealthy environment, you have no excuse not being wealthy, because you have everything there to teach you the choices that wealthy people make.

By the same token, if you are poor.....IT'S NOT AN EXCUSE WHY you remain poor. You are simply socialized to be poor and you are EXTRAORDINARY if you are able to rise above it.
As luck would have it, none.

Preaching to people that their destiny is set in stone is a pretty backwards.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
As luck would have it, none.

Preaching to people that their destiny is set in stone is a pretty backwards.

I doubt that poor people are participating in this forum.....unless you are referring to the mentally poor people. Besides, that is a straw man argument. What you just quoted actually contradicts what you said I am saying. I never once said that a persons fate is set in stone. Feel free to make stuff up when you have no tenable argument against the truth.....create a lie then argue against the lie.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:53 PM

23,548 posts, read 17,219,108 times
CB is a jester, an entertainer who needs a fresh act.

Newark's murder rate and car jacking capital of the east are his legacy.

He is hoping to cash in on a repeat of a novelty election win, he is not in the running.

Give him a mirror or a microphone and he will keep himself busy all day looking at his image and listening to his voice.

Old 05-01-2019, 02:34 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,982,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Uh, what in the hell do special privileges for immigrants have to do with "reparations" for slavery in this country?
It's a proposal. Something I haven't heard from you or the others on here...

Old 05-01-2019, 02:45 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,982,719 times
Quote:

By the same token, if you are poor.....IT'S NOT AN EXCUSE WHY you remain poor. You are simply socialized to be poor and you are EXTRAORDINARY if you are able to rise above it. Those who rise above poverty and circumstance does not mean that those who did not simply did not try, no more than it means that a person with stage 4 cancer, who beat it, makes those who did not beat it at personal fault.
The answer to the perpetual poverty is this. Stop giving them handouts. Cut the ties. Force them to put up or die. Basic survival of the fittest will kick in and life will go on for the strong that survive. Most Americans don't know what poor is. Our "poor" have shelters, food, iphones, and running water.
Treating them as victims is the very worst thing we can do with our poor.

If I lost my factory job, I'd move. Walk to another state if I had to. I'd learn a new trade. Move to a new area. Whatever it took.
If I was poor because of my family, which I grew up dirt poor in a horrible situation, I'd stop making excuses for my situation and pull myself out of it. I'd vow to not put my kids through the horrors I experienced as a child.
If I was poor because of society, I'd stop making excuses for my situation and pull myself out of it. I'd vow to not put my kids through the horrors I experienced as a child.

What sickens me the most is watching the "poor" on my morning commute out playing basketball on the park I paid to give to them to use.
If you're able to play basketball you're able to make something of your life, simple as that and you're choosing to stay poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies