Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2019, 01:39 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Just like how you would discuss that every tax payer (including myself) should chip in to pay reparations to African Americans? I don’t have white guilt, therefore, I am not going to pay jack.

I am assuming reparation money comes from tax payers, right?
My statement was simply that I have no issue with it. If you aren’t white, not sure why white guilt would be mentioned. I am not white either, btw. Guilt has little to do with it to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 01:56 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
My ancestors fought (and died) in the Union army and one had a farmhouse that was a stop on the Underground Railroad.

And my family should pay reparations?!? No thanks we already paid enough.
And on my dad's side nobody ever owned slaves, and his father's side came to the USA after the Civil War. So what to do? Am I "guilty" for some of my maternal ancestry, not guilty for Dad's ancestry? That's so cool that you had an ancestor that was a stop on the Underground Railroad!

Old 06-22-2019, 02:07 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
And on my dad's side nobody ever owned slaves, and his father's side came to the USA after the Civil War. So what to do? Am I "guilty" for some of my maternal ancestry, not guilty for Dad's ancestry? That's so cool that you had an ancestor that was a stop on the Underground Railroad!
No. Slavery in America ended 154 years ago. Nobody living today is responsible for it or a victim of it.

Old 06-22-2019, 05:48 AM

5,104 posts, read 2,050,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
It’s amusing at this point.
I guess you won't be amused by that clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzspsovNvII

We got to check Snopes if FDR had really said this about the welfare state. https://enjoymentandcontemplation.wo...-human-spirit/

Quote:
A large proportion of these unemployed and their dependents have been forced on the relief rolls. The burden on the Federal Government has grown with great rapidity. We have here a human as well as an economic problem. When humane considerations are concerned, Americans give them precedence. The lessons of history, confirmed by the evidence immediately before me, show conclusively that continued dependence upon relief induces a spiritual disintegration fundamentally destructive to the national fiber. To dole our relief in this way is to administer a narcotic, a subtle destroyer of the human spirit. It is inimical to the dictates of a sound policy. It is in violation of the traditions of America. Work must be found for able-bodied but destitute workers.

Old 06-22-2019, 05:52 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
The Democrats have never paid any reparations, admitted their support of slavery, or accepted the responsibility.

On the other hand, Republicans bled and died in the hundreds of thousands fighting against the Democrats and their slavery. During the years of the civil war, no republicans owned any slaves. All 3 million of them were owned by the Democrats, south and north.

If the reparations must be paid, they must be paid by all the Democrats. They are the party of slavery, KKK and Jim Crow.
Good points!

Old 06-22-2019, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
IIRC all that happened was a hearing talking about the possibility of setting up a commission to study reparations. That has nothing to do with giving anybody any money.

Geez, you guys are gettin all worked up over nothing.

From what I have read, all anybody really wants is a conversation about the result of slavery, Jim Crow, etc.

Nobody is getting into anyone's pocket.

If these comments are any indication most Americans have no clue about how families acquire anything. Nobody helped anybody with anything. Everything each of us has is through our own hard work. HAHAHAHA

"all that happened was a hearing talking about the possibility of setting up a commission to study reparations"

So, what do you think a commission to "study" reparations is for? Do you KNOW what reparations are?

Old 06-22-2019, 05:57 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times
Quote:
Massive welfare was given to whites over decades while blacks were barely eligible. Whites received far more welfare than blacks ever have. The condemnation of the black community is in your own mind. Deny it all you want but the white middle class was largely established from welfare.

Whites, angered at blacks and immigrants receiving “government handouts,” forget they were lifted out of poverty through racially exclusive welfare programs in the 30s.”
How Today’s White Middle Class Was Made Possible By Welfare - In These Times
My grandparents were dirt-poor in the 30s, and never got a penny. The scraped together enough money for their tenement apartment. Still, a generation later, my dad was a college graduate, living a middle-class life.

Old 06-22-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
As long as the discussion is about the past and how much money it takes to fix it, its like paying the minimum on your high credit card debt. Black people who even use the word "reparations" do a disservice to all the valiant efforts slaves and freemen did to prove they were equal. The Colored Troops accepted $7.00 per month to prove they were equal to white men.

The discussion is about the future not the past. Russian hackers walked in like a thief in the night and used race hated to sway an election. Its the Achilles Heel of the United States of America. Perhaps it will take nothing short of an apocalypse to achieve something of a philosophical ground shift.
"The discussion is about the future not the past" HUH?

"rep·a·ra·tion
/ˌrepəˈrāSH(ə)n/ Learn to pronounce

noun

"the making of amends for a wrong one has done, by paying money to or otherwise helping those who have been wronged."

IF it was for the FUTURE the word reparations would NOT be used.

And the left call US the UN-educated!

Old 06-22-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
You might think little of the elected.

But, they didn't just fall from a turnip truck.

Many blacks would like a national conversation about the result of slavery, Jim Crow, banks not lending, GM refusing to sell Cadilacs to blacks, yadayadayada.

IMO, all anybody wants is an acknowledgment that it happened and it was wrong. Kings X
"IMO, all anybody wants is an acknowledgment that it happened and it was wrong"

You just did. Do you know ANYBODY who has DENIED IT? Case closed.

Old 06-22-2019, 06:07 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,580,593 times
Quote:
Massive welfare was given to whites over decades while blacks were barely eligible. Whites received far more welfare than blacks ever have. The condemnation of the black community is in your own mind. Deny it all you want but the white middle class was largely established from welfare.

Whites, angered at blacks and immigrants receiving “government handouts,” forget they were lifted out of poverty through racially exclusive welfare programs in the 30s.”
How Today’s White Middle Class Was Made Possible By Welfare - In These Times
Nice try at deflection, but you didn't answer the question - why are blacks still poor after 2 or 3 generations of massive welfare $$$$? And yes, it is a condemnation of the black community. LBJ was right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies