Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2019, 05:12 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
And the quote from the professor who teaches about the Holocaust means what to you? Why did you ignore that?
I didn’t ignore it. I just thought it was not relevant because a lot of people say a lot of things, for a lot of personal and political reasons. Reasons that have more to do with the person making the statement, than the reality of the situation

If it was important enough to me, I could find another Jewish holocaust professor who would dispute her statement. Why? First of all, because it is disputable and reasonable arguments could be made on both sides. And secondly, because we are Jewish, and we love to argue about everything. It would be impossible to find something that we ALL agree on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 05:12 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Better to be told that soap is a luxury than be turned into soap yourself, as happened to the Jews.

The comparison continues to be offensive.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Concentration camps have the goal of concentrating people, usually by ethnicity, but sometimes for other reasons. It is my understanding that the first concentration camps happened during the Boer War. They were a British invention; put lots of people who you think are enemies into one place where you can keep track of them, keep them from attacking you, etc. There have been concentration camps all over the world: the "internment camps" of WWII in the US were concentration camps, also in Singapore, other places in SE Asia, there were such camps in Bosnia, etc. Although people did die in these camps, due to terrible conditions, neglect and such, they were not set up as death camps. The Jewish camps, although there were some that were mostly concentration camps, were notorious for being set up for the purpose of killing people. They were DEATH CAMPS. That sets the German camps apart from most other concentration camps (although, I suspect, not all.)

I don't think that the camps now on our southern border are set up as death camps. Yes, people are dying because of the poor conditions, but there are no gas chambers, cremation ovens, etc. There are no pits for mass graves. No one is doing ghastly medical experiments on Central Americans. So I would never compare what the Jews went through to what the Hispanics on our border are experiencing. But that doesn't mean that these are not concentration camps. They are compounds meant to "concentrate" the people the country apparently doesn't want, to prevent them from doing a harm to the country. People are being held there. They are not being tortured and killed. (Although separating children from their families could certainly be called abuse; most child health professionals do define it as such.)

It is not anti-Semitic to call the camps what they are. They are concentration camps which are the home of deprivation and abuse. They are not the home of outright torture and killing. I hope they don't become that.
It is counterproductive to argue about what the textbook definition of “concentration camp” is. It doesn’t matter. It was clear the way she was using it by the context in which she said it.

After she faced backlash, she back tracked and brought up the “textbook definition” argument, so that it would distract you from what she said, in the context in which she said it.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:27 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
It is counterproductive to argue about what the textbook definition of “concentration camp” is. It doesn’t matter. It was clear the way she was using it by the context in which she said it.

After she faced backlash, she back tracked and brought up the “textbook definition” argument, so that it would distract you from what she said, in the context in which she said it.
Are we also not allowed to say the Japanese were held in concentration camps in the USA during World War II.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:31 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Really? You got a link to your claims in your last sentence? By the way, illegal aliens aren't plain ole immigrants either and we have every right to incarserate illegal aliens. Are you going to use the ole racial profiling nonsense as proof of your claims? Don't even go there as it's a lie!
You realize we are talking about kids right? Children....babies.......

Old 06-24-2019, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Are we also not allowed to say the Japanese were held in concentration camps in the USA during World War II.
You are allowed to say whatever you want to say.

But if you understood my post, it is not the actual words that make the difference. It is the context in which the words are used that makes the difference.

Can you watch what she said, and honestly claim that she was not evoking the holocaust?

I’m sure there are plenty of people on here who will claim otherwise for political reasons, but I think of you as a straight shooter.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:08 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
They can return to their home countries at anytime. And the USA is not building gas chambers and ovens to burn them as you want to suggest.

You have no no argument.
Can they?

The parents can just show up at these facilities, claim their children and take them back home?

How do they do that?
Their paperwork was confiscated. How do they prove parentage?

They were not informed as to where where the children were being sent.
In some cases, the parents are not even in the same states as their kids.

The administration has admitted multiple times that they don’t know how to reunite these families.

So, again, how do the kids get released to return home?

Old 06-24-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
The AOC–Liz Cheney “Concentration Camp” Fight Might Just Be a Distractions

"As usual, though, this episode hasn’t just been a fight over words. It’s a fight about whose closest Holocaust survivor has a monopoly on suffering. It’s a fight about who is using which people’s pain to score political points. It’s a fight about each of our subjective feelings about words as attached to our own lives and histories. In short, it’s an unwinnable semantic debate about us, instead of an active, moral conversation about the children who are currently being kept in freezing cages, where some of them have died and more seem likely to die soon. " (my bold)

But lets be frank ... we didn't need her help in order to deny the situation for what it is ... we were already there.
This.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:19 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,384,671 times
Conservatives are more outraged over the words, concentration camp, than the fact that they exist in the first place.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Understood, however, I found useful information at that link for any one looking for 'how to' information, as well as the photos of the summer vacation spots. I will post a quote from the page for any one who may be interested in another compare and review or just interested period. From Nicole Dieker's article ...

Department of Homeland Security’s (DHS) Office of the Inspector General (OIG) Management Alert: DHS Needs to Address Dangerous Overcrowding Among Single Adults at El Paso Del Norte Processing Center

" ... link is an official government document detailing conditions at a federal border patrol processing facility. It includes photos of overcrowded cells (with detainees literally body-to-body), as well as evidence that personal belongings and other effects are being taken from individuals and thrown into dumpsters." (my bold because I did not forget AnesthesiaMD, post)
I read that they are confiscating medications without replacing them as well.
Children with asthma, diabetes, and other life-threatening conditions are effectively being given death sentences.

There’s an ICE detention center in my city.
Local officials, including my congressman, are repeatedly denied access when they try to enter and tour the facility.
Who knows what’s going in those places?
What are they trying to hide?

Three detainees escaped from there a week or so ago.
The public was never notified.
Somehow the local news found out and broadcast it, but needless to say the residents of the surrounding neighborhoods were aghast.
There never was any comment from ICE.

They, and by extension this administration, are answerable to nobody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies