Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2019, 08:22 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,208,048 times

Advertisements

there's a WHOLE lot that's happened since March 2018, including in the last 60 days.

Politically, I'd say as of the last reported info (still about 90 days old) - the reason the US and Canada were the only places they could seek asylum was we had devoted significant resources, and we had come to an agreement but decided that Mexico wasn't ready yet. "Progress was being made" in Mexico's commitment to dealing with the situation, but they weren't there yet.

This makes one wonder what effect the tariffs on Mexico that were called, and border "agreements" involved, will be rounding into place.

If Mexico puts a sufficient # at their Southern border to tell everybody "Economic asylum not allowed. Globally-recognized asylum reasons you will be accepted into Mexico" ...

Imagine if the US gave Mexico 30B (about 10% of their annual budget) and said "Make it stop". We might get results.

But still, now we're talking about immigration reform and not the humanitarian emergency at the border.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 08:42 PM

62,889 posts, read 29,114,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I'm not sure I can understand the relevance of all this. Kudos to you if you've followed every rabbit hole to the end of 155 page documents.

the "people in chains" was quoting from your article and the embedded link to "read the immigrants' individual statements" - the affidavit of a woman and she described an interaction with her son. Let's not lead anyone on the unthinking arm of the left to think that meant young kids were put in chains.

When they are caught, they are detained (arrested) and sent to a CBP facility. Within 72 hours (if at all possible is roughly how the language reads) they are to be transferred to ORR, which actually houses/holds on/imprisons them (just checking who's paying attention) until their parents are processed or some other family member/sponsor comes and gets them. That's where the Homeland FL facility comes in ... our regular ORR facilities are also at capacity.

Have I got that wrong?

If 40,000 kids show up, and our capacity at ORR facilities is 10,000 ... there's gonna be about 30,000 in detention and makeshift facilities.
Exactly, let's see the bleeding heart liberals address this! They act like we have the ability to just house and feed everyone immediately in any number that shows up on our border demanding asylum. We are being overwhelmed. What part of that aren't they getting? The processing of their parents under law is something else they just don't seem to get or care about they just keep crying about separation of family even though that issue has since been resolved and those that were separated have been reunited. It's like talking to a brick wall!

Old 06-25-2019, 08:48 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,792,561 times
Why is she lobbying against Wayfair providing these people with beds and couches? lol. This has to be the dumbest politician ever elected.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post

Additional reading:
The History of the Flores Settlement
How a 1997 agreement cracked open our detention laws
this is an important read. the CIS leans/veers right (depending on your POV), but it seems to get through the facts with no more editorializing than calling some "activists"

Old 06-25-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Another humanitarian wanting the u.s. to be the country it is suppose to be rather than another China.

Read if you want to be informed, do not read it you do not give a crap.

now I'm confused. A post-Flores recent article by this non-partisan (sarcasm) attorney Hope Frye within says they can be in a detention facility for 20 days (otherwise known as "about 3 weeks").

Old 06-25-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
now I'm confused. A post-Flores recent article by this non-partisan (sarcasm) attorney Hope Frye within says they can be in a detention facility for 20 days (otherwise known as "about 3 weeks").
There is no “detention†they can leave whenever they want all they have to say is “I want to go back to Guatemala or Honduras or wherever they came fromâ€

Old 06-25-2019, 10:10 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,284,408 times
Quote:
Zero tolerance is a policy it is not law. (policy enacted by the Trump Administration)
[b]
Let me crush your dream. Seeing that you are conveniently ignoring the fact that these are people crossing illegally, in other words breaking the law.

It's zero tolerance of something, what could that something be? the written law...?

Quote:
A zero-tolerance policy is one which imposes strict punishment for infractions of a stated rule, with the intention of eliminating undesirable conduct.[1][2][3] Zero-tolerance policies forbid people in positions of authority from exercising discretion or changing punishments to fit the circumstances subjectively; they are required to impose a pre-determined (the law) punishment regardless of individual culpability, extenuating circumstances, or history. This pre-determined punishment, whether mild or severe, is always meted out.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...ro%20tolerance

Zero tolerance means you follow the law to the letter. You give the defined punishment per the law. That's it. No catch and release and hope they show up for a future court date. No leniency. No breaks. You cross the border illegally you are arrested and thrown in jail, like anyone else. You get caught breaking the law, they throw you in jail, has been like this since the existence of civilization, everywhere in the world.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:19 PM

How can you be for higher working class wages AND for open borders? It makes no sense. If you’re a roofer right now you’re competing against millions of unskilled people from third world counntries willing to work for less than half of market value. You want to know the main reason why entry level wages in states like North Dakota and New Hampshire are the highest in the county? It’s because there aren’t any illegals there and labor markets are tight.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:40 PM

Have we found out who provides meds to these kids in these concentration camps? I want to know which pharma company is commiting these atrocities. What about food, who is providing them with food? I need to know who to boycott next!

Old 06-25-2019, 10:56 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,591,221 times
Quote:
I'm not sure I can understand the relevance of all this. Kudos to you if you've followed every rabbit hole to the end of 155 page documents.

the "people in chains" was quoting from your article and the embedded link to "read the immigrants' individual statements" - the affidavit of a woman and she described an interaction with her son. Let's not lead anyone on the unthinking arm of the left to think that meant young kids were put in chains.

When they are caught, they are detained (arrested) and sent to a CBP facility. Within 72 hours (if at all possible is roughly how the language reads) they are to be transferred to ORR, which actually houses/holds on/imprisons them (just checking who's paying attention) until their parents are processed or some other family member/sponsor comes and gets them. That's where the Homeland FL facility comes in ... our regular ORR facilities are also at capacity.

Have I got that wrong?

If 40,000 kids show up, and our capacity at ORR facilities is 10,000 ... there's gonna be about 30,000 in detention and makeshift facilities.
Quote:
I'm not sure I can understand the relevance of all this.
I apologize for being a long winded East Texan. In summary (from what I understand) the mechanism that makes it possible for the Trump Administration under his 'zero tolerance' policy (not law) to incarcerate minors crossing the boarder is the Flores Settlement Agreement and a ruling by a Judge Dolly Gee. (shadowne posted the court document [found on the AILA, website; their intentions called into question by you] filed under the Obama Administration, where as he was held in violation of Flores, which has led to the current crises at the boarder)
In 2015, "Gee had now expanded Flores to cover not only unaccompanied children, but also accompanied children." Thus the separation of families at the boarder.
Quote:
Thank you for clarity, as I certainly did not mean for there to be any uncertainty. Additional publication of same Reuters article here: Life in the ‘dog pound’
Lawyers were on sight taking affidavits which led me to the current filing in the ongoing Flores lawsuit.
Quote:

Have I got that wrong?
No, but ...

Quote:
From the Center For Human Rights & Constitutional Law, document filed 05/31/19
Page 24, Delays in Release [example of the hold up; one of many]

"JQ is an 18-year-old national of Guatemala. J was apprehended with her father by CBP immediately after crossing the boarder and was subsequently held in a tent for five days before being transferred to Homestead in Miami, Florida, on May 30, 2018. She had been detained for approximately 68 days when her declaration was taken. "I have an uncle who lives in New Jersey. His name is CQ and he is my father's oldest brother. My uncle has also said he would like me to come live with him. I would like to go live with him ... I have told my social worker that I would like to live with my Uncle C, and my social worker told me to be patient ... No one has explained other options for leaving this facility. They just tell me to be patient. I don't know anyone here who has gotten to leave and be with their family." Declaration of JQ"

If they did their job and followed Flores Agreement to release within 72 hours; no later than 20 days, rather than keeping them indefinitely, it wouldn't matter how many showed up to be processed.
Quote:
Kudos to you if you've followed every rabbit hole to the end of 155 page documents.
Trust, but verify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies