Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 10:58 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,812 times

Advertisements

For starters, at least require a college degree or some type of education past a high school diploma. Or time served in the military/national guard/coast guard. That doesn't solve everything, but it is a start.

There is a guy we went to college with who was the biggest racist A hole and utter moron (he ate wall paint in college, constantly would get in fights, and tons of other stuff). He also had an insane temper. It is scary that today this dude is a state trooper with a gun. I hope he's mellowed out some, but there is no way I'd want that guy behind a badge and a gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 11:03 PM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
For starters, at least require a college degree or some type of education past a high school diploma. Or time served in the military/national guard/coast guard. That doesn't solve everything, but it is a start.

There is a guy we went to college with who was the biggest racist A hole and utter moron (he ate wall paint in college, constantly would get in fights, and tons of other stuff). He also had an insane temper. It is scary that today this dude is a state trooper with a gun. I hope he's mellowed out some, but there is no way I'd want that guy behind a badge and a gun.
Which is why I laugh when people say, "smart kids go to college, dumb kids join the military." I don't think your wall paint eating college acquaintance could survive in the military. He would end up like Private Pyle.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:09 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post

Sorry, but the requirements you are asking for, are already largely in place.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:11 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
What population range for a populated areas (in multiples of zeros) would have Old Town FFX say, "This is when it can no longer be considered a small town"?
I never mentioned towns, I said communities. Can you not tell the difference?

Old 06-20-2019, 12:52 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Actually the bolded is not true. Minority violent crime targets whites and other minorities in roughly equal numbers.

https://www.amren.com/archives/repor...vised-edition/
More whites than blacks
from that same link

White victims were attacked by white offenders in 56 percent of cases
Black victims were attacked by black offenders in 62.2 percent of cases

Old 06-20-2019, 05:27 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Sorry, but the requirements you are asking for, are already largely in place.

There are many jurisdictions where local cops only need a GED. Philly for starters....

Old 06-20-2019, 05:29 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,112,029 times
Former cop here. Racism isn't much of a problem anymore. But boy are there a lot of proud homophobes in the various police organizations. They're pretty vocal about it, too.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:37 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
1. Hire only black people
THREE of the six Baltimore Police Officers in the Freddie Gray van, and death incident were BLACK. Yet the media, Baltimore Mayor and others considered the incident RACIAL. This was the same Mayor (Stephanie Rawlings-Blake) told her police "Let them LOOT. It's only property".

Old 06-20-2019, 05:47 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
I think most racist cops become racist through what they experience in their day to day interactions in the inner city.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:53 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
This story is going to get a lot less tasty for some of the press when it turns out it's not just a bunch of white guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies