Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2019, 09:53 AM

5,981 posts, read 2,235,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
The drone issue is completely different. The Russians fly their spy planes up and down our coasts everyday and yet we dont shoot them down. Flying an aircraft in international air space is perfectly legal. That's why we dont shoot them down.
The same is true of right of free passage in international waters. We might not like the Russians or the Chinese floating their boats 20 miles off our coast but we suck it up because they aren't breaking any laws.

Iran (if) the drone was in international air space violated international law. They owe us 180 million dollars. Shooting down that drone is a fine line and if we did to them you would be saying that we committed an act of war.
I agree with your statement completely. My worry is we know that other countries do not show the same restraint. Placing drones near or over the coast of Iran is like placing candy in front of a child, they cannot help themselves.

So why do it? Why risk putting ourselves at risk of igniting a war? Seems like that is what we are doing. I am no defense wonk so I don't know why we are even screwing around over there in the first place. I imagine most of America is even aware of the forces and operations we have going on over there.

And why the hell do drones still cost so much? I really want to know what makes that drone cost so much now that drone technology is everywhere. I thought it would push those prices down since the 2000's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 09:54 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
If Obama can ignore Chicago youths shooting each other 50 every weekend -trump can ignore a few drones

Old 06-20-2019, 09:54 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
No I believed that Obama and Clinton lied through their teeth about Benghazi.

The drone issue is completely different.
No it isn't. It's all driven by the same psychopaths.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:55 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
My main concern is that our people in the region be allowed to defend themselves with all assets at their disposal. I'm a soldier not a diplomat. If Iran starts shooting we need to shoot back. If we are going to commit we need to be all in. I certainly don't want to see any invasion attempt or even striking Iran feet dry. That would not be prudent. Not because they would beat us but there is just no need for that. In terms of both strategy and tactics we should operate at sea and in the air over the sea to defend shipping and aviation.
The hard question needs to be asked of why there are "our people" somewhere they'd come into contact with Iranian forces.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:56 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,616,175 times
No reason to be in the middle east. Let Israel defend themselves since they seem to be the antagonists in the region. Cut ties with SA. It was their citizens that took down the towers.

What about the oil you ask? Screw it. We can produce our own energy and start moving to cleaner alternatives.

We are the antagonists when it comes to Iran. We have been for decades.

I can't wait for the war hawks in this country to die. They are screwing younger generations for decades to come.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:56 AM

2,385 posts, read 1,587,465 times
Quote:
No I believed that Obama and Clinton lied through their teeth about Benghazi.

The drone issue is completely different. The Russians fly their spy planes up and down our coasts everyday and yet we dont shoot them down. Flying an aircraft in international air space is perfectly legal. That's why we dont shoot them down.
The same is true of right of free passage in international waters. We might not like the Russians or the Chinese floating their boats 20 miles off our coast but we suck it up because they aren't breaking any laws.

Iran (if) the drone was in international air space violated international law. They owe us 180 million dollars. Shooting down that drone is a fine line and if we did to them you would be saying that we committed an act of war.
Ok.I have seen some reports that say the drone entered Iranian airspace and left and then was shot down in International Airspace.

What should happen, then?

Old 06-20-2019, 09:57 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,616,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
If Obama can ignore Chicago youths shooting each other 50 every weekend -trump can ignore a few drones
Nice deflection!

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Illegal? Legai? MSN Nonsense.

These are soverign countries. There's no court of law that either will submit to.

One country shoots down another country's aircraft, "legality" is simply in the eye of the beholder.

In the end, the side with the biggest gun AND who is willing to use it, decides the outcome.

Go ask the Argentinians about the "Malvinas" if you want example of this.
Wrong example to use. The Falkland Islands were and are UK Sovereign territory. The Argentine invasion was illegal, they just hoped there would be no or limited response. However the UK was completely within international law in its recapture, indeed it's even been proven that the sinking of the General Belgrano was not a criminal act.

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
No reason to be in the middle east. Let Israel defend themselves since they seem to be the antagonists in the region. Cut ties with SA. It was their citizens that took down the towers.

What about the oil you ask? Screw it. We can produce our own energy and start moving to cleaner alternatives.

We are the antagonists when it comes to Iran. We have been for decades.

I can't wait for the war hawks in this country to die. They screwing younger generations for decades to come.
Being a Boomer, I agree.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:01 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Iranians don't use the term Allah, that is arabic for god. Iranians aren't arabic.

Secondly no one in Iran thinks they can handle a war and they are under no religious delusions. They will never allow a war unless the US forces their hand.

OK fine. The Iranians are Persian not Arab and a different Islamic sect. They are Shia not Sunni. They call God Khoda instead of Allah. The Iranian leadership, made up of radical mullahs, still operates under Islamic premise. I agree that the Iranian people are under no religious delusions that they would destroy the US in a conflict. But the mullahs and the IRG are calling the shots. Not the people.

The general population probably would be quite happy if the mullahs were taken down but they are seriously afraid of the power the mullahs hold. The IRG religious police have been kicking down their doors for quite a while now. The mullahs are not going to see that power threatened and they do believe they are in power by the will of God.

Alright , now that we have small technical details addressed about the religious and cultural differences I reiterate, shots being fired is a foregone conclusion and it doesn't matter who is at fault. There is nothing that we the US people and the Iranian people can do about it. And my mistakes in terminology around Iranian religious and ethnic/cultural background are irrelevant. But I will own the errors. Fair enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies