Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2019, 07:20 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Iran Worried U.S. Might Be Building 8,500th Nuclear Weapon

TEHRAN—Amidst mounting geopolitical tensions, Iranian officials said Wednesday they were increasingly concerned about the United States of America's uranium-enrichment program, fearing the Western nation may soon be capable of producing its 8,500th nuclear weapon. "Our intelligence estimates indicate that, if it is allowed to progress with its aggressive nuclear program, the United States may soon possess its 8,500th atomic weapon capable of reaching Iran," said Iranian foreign minister Ali Akbar Salehi, adding that Americans have the fuel, the facilities, and "everything they need" to manufacture even more weapons-grade fissile material. "Obviously, the prospect of this happening is very distressing to Iran and all countries like Iran. After all, the United States is a volatile nation that's proven it needs little provocation to attack anyone anywhere in the world whom it perceives to be a threat." Iranian intelligence experts also warned of the very real, and very frightening, possibility of the U.S. providing weapons and resources to a rogue..............

https://www.theonion.com/iran-worrie...wi6hOlSLj2Gk8s

Bolton Argues War With Iran Only Way To Avenge Americans Killed In Upcoming War With Iran

https://www.theonion.com/bolton-argu...can-1835704580

Careful now...

Some posters in this forum take The Onion seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 07:21 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
A little history lesson. Go back to 1953 and the CIA coup of Iran:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...3-iranian-coup

Then perhaps you get a picture of why Iran hates us. Then look at how the profits were set up with the Iranian government and the west. The Shah (a monarch) was put into place in 1953 by the CIA because the Iranians wanted a larger share of the oil profits. Iran did not control its own oil industry. We did. We took their oil and decided what share they got of the profits. That changed in 1979 when the Shah who had been brutalizing his people for 26 years was overthrown because the people there finally got tired of being controlled by the US and UK and the brutal Shah. Yes they went overboard and put in religious fanatics who hated us, but that was a reaction to years of US and UK control. Can't totally blame them.

https://www.mintpressnews.com/us-wan...h-iran/253087/

So now we have a new Shah ready to step it. We are just waiting for the right time to dispose of the current regime and put our puppet back in charge. So yes I am dubious of what we are saying about the drone strike and tanker attacks when we have Bolton in the White House who has stated the only goal should be removing the government in Iran that came in to power in 1979. Having peace with Iran is not an option to Bolton.
Let's not forget the US Navy shooting down an Iranian jumbo jet in '88, killing 290 civilians. The Iranians probably haven't forgotten it.

And let's not pretend innocence over reconnaissance flights. The US always denies overflights. Yet, the Iranians have brought down US drones over their land area before.

We don't know that none of the current flights have not gone into their territory before.

We don't even know for sure that this particular drone had not crossed over into their territory and they shot it on the way out.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:22 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
Reports are that Trump tried to use Oman to tell the Iranians that a strike was imminent.

Trump now tweeting up a storm trying to look good.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:25 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Careful now...

It's actually pretty factual here.

After all, the United States is a volatile nation that's proven it needs little provocation to attack anyone anywhere in the world whom it perceives to be a threat.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:26 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Let's not forget the US Navy shooting down an Iranian jumbo jet in '88, killing 290 civilians. The Iranians probably haven't forgotten it.

And let's not pretend innocence over reconnaissance flights. The US always denies overflights. Yet, the Iranians have brought down US drones over their land area before.

We don't know that none of the current flights have not gone into their territory before.

We don't even know for sure that this particular drone had not crossed over into their territory and they shot it on the way out.

I have read others who are experts on drones and Iran's ability to shoot them down and its possible we have been flying drones all over Iran all the time and did not think they could hit it at 60,000 feet. Perhaps they got a lucky shot or their technology has improved.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:29 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Careful now...

Obviously its not real but its not that far off from where our political rhetoric actually is. Some posters here do not get the irony of that.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:33 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Careful now...

And any time now we will be seeing arguments in support of the headline

Old 06-21-2019, 07:36 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I'm glad it was called off but not sure that this instability/chaos is the image that works well for this kind of situation.

Problem with Trump and this administration...poor communication, and Trump's compulsive nature. I believe that some of the folks in Trump's administration don't communicate well with him. The President is then at a disadvantage and given his nature of reacting without thoughtful due process creates this situation where --- the powers thought they had the go ahead to retaliate and then the President is giving out different messages (he thinks it was a mistake --) and calls off the mission.

I appreciate it being called off. I do. Better that then trying to save face by going ahead with something the President isn't comfortable with..

BUT it just looks so chaotic.

And Trump's awkward behaviour -- suggesting he thinks it was some kind of goof up that the drone was shot down - while Iran is saying loud and proud they did it, owned doing it and would do it again (in so many words).

It's just all very odd.

I wish they would just take a deep breath...get in a room and figure out what they are doing.....

And I hope it isn't another war. I just don't feel that I have the right to expect people to go and put their lives on the line.....I'm not comfortable with another Middle Eastern war. I have always felt it does more harm than good in the long run. But again -- I will admit my Middle East knowledge is basic.
Chaos is better rhan losing lives. Both american and other lives.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:36 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
So Trump admits to canceling attack because of estimated casualty number....10 minutes before the event.

So why wasn't one of the first questions from Trump -- before he gave the go ahead --- how many casualties.

Doesn't he realize that this sounds like he is just flying by the seat of his pants, no thought.

He had to give the go ahead first, then he remembers to ask about casualties.

Thank goodness he did.

But seriously what the heck is going on

Old 06-21-2019, 07:38 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Chaos is better rhan losing lives. Both american and other lives.
YES!!!!!!!! as I said -- I'm glad it was called off...but....

I want my govt. to be thoughtful, and appear to be acting rationally, calmly, thoughtfully.

This sounds like they jumped to retaliate, AND then started thinking.

Maybe it is all a show to make Trump look like he swooped in to save the day.

But the attacks wouldn't have been ready to go without him telling them to get ready to go.

It is all very bizarre.

Maybe it was meant to be a threat all the time and not a real attack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies