Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 11:10 AM

6,952 posts, read 4,419,226 times

Advertisements

Diabetes is a disability and you can never pet a real service dog because they are working and you are distracting them from their job. That could mean life or death for someone. I spent my career in the field of disabilities and the misinformation in this thread is incredible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 11:17 AM

2,828 posts, read 820,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Why does a diabetic person need a 'service dog' in a restaurant with the parents around.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/fami...224943618.html
The owners of service dogs need to be certified by a doctor as to whether or not they are needed. Too many people take advantage so they can take them where ever they want.

Old 06-21-2019, 02:13 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,922,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Yes, I may be, but there doesn't seem to be clear standards for each. Maybe I just haven't seen them, but I have read a lot of different things and what I think used to be therapy or support dogs are actually being called Service Dogs today. I may be wrong, as the only dog I've had has been a "Hunting Dog" so.....
There are actually very clear standards for each type, ranging from the role they perform to the legal right to access they are allowed to have.

Old 06-21-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Brainstorm. Maybe if you have a child with a low blood sugar problem perhaps you should not take him to a restaurant or just do carry out. Perhaps we should have pets that can sniff out lawsuits?
Maybe people like you should stay in your lane and stop trying to dictate where disabled people have a right to be. We're not going to go back to the days when the disabled were sequestered away from the general public and treated like they are freaks of nature.

Old 06-21-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Juvenile diabetes is a much more serious condition than type 2. Kids can go into a diabetic coma and die. These dogs are expensive so if he has one he needs it. The federal law is clear about service dogs. The restaurant will be in trouble. Blind people can’t leave their dog outside. They have a right to the same services as everyone else. Some of these comments clearly demonstrate that people have no clue about the difference between real service dogs and what people with disabilities go through in their everyday lives.
Exactly. I've already mentioned having seen a diabetic coma, and that was a very scary thing to witness. I was 13 at the time, but some of the other kids on that camp out were even younger. The boy who went through it was 9 or 10.

Old 06-21-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Where did I state a certificate is needed?
You didn't, but you felt the need to stick your nose into a conversation I was having where I was correcting someone else on the notion about certification. This is why you read the whole thread first. I am well aware of the regulations for service dogs, as I have participated in a number of threads on the subject since I joined CD. I didn't need your input, thanks.

Old 06-21-2019, 02:39 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,574,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
You didn't, but you felt the need to stick your nose into a conversation I was having where I was correcting someone else on the notion about certification. This is why you read the whole thread first. I am well aware of the regulations for service dogs, as I have participated in a number of threads on the subject since I joined CD. I didn't need your input, thanks.
Well. Aren't you special.

Old 06-21-2019, 04:48 PM

19,149 posts, read 16,970,121 times
I am well aware of these type of service dogs as I have seen some in the schools where I work. For a child recently diagnosed and still learning how to recognize the symptoms that their blood sugar is off the dog can alert the teacher/staff
that the child's blood sugar needs to be checked, that their role. I question why this child (who appears to be @10) needs his dog when he is out with his parents who should be alert to any behavioral changes?

I have a co-worker who is learning how to deal with a diabetic 10 year old but 6 months in and they have a pretty good feel of when something is out of whack. Todays wearable sensors will send you a message when the level is to low or high, far more suitable for going out to dinner than a dog.

Did the restaurant handle it correctly probably not but the types and use of service dogs needs to have a federal standard and licensed accordingly, throwing a jacket with dog does not make them a trained medical aide.

And why are these stories only on Yahoo???

Old 06-22-2019, 08:37 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,629,098 times
When I pay good money to dine out I expect a quiet relaxing meal and don't care to dine out or accommodate animals or screeching obnoxious children brought in by selfish people who demand that others forfeit their otherwise quite evening just for them. A local restaurant has a sign that animals are restricted to the outside eating area and cannot be fed or come in contact with restaurant tables, chairs, dishes or silverware. Imagine glancing over while a dog is eating off somebody's plate or fork. And what happens when it has to go to the bathroom while people are trying to eat?

Old 06-22-2019, 08:45 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,653,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I am well aware of these type of service dogs as I have seen some in the schools where I work. For a child recently diagnosed and still learning how to recognize the symptoms that their blood sugar is off the dog can alert the teacher/staff
that the child's blood sugar needs to be checked, that their role. I question why this child (who appears to be @10) needs his dog when he is out with his parents who should be alert to any behavioral changes?

I have a co-worker who is learning how to deal with a diabetic 10 year old but 6 months in and they have a pretty good feel of when something is out of whack. Todays wearable sensors will send you a message when the level is to low or high, far more suitable for going out to dinner than a dog.

Did the restaurant handle it correctly probably not but the types and use of service dogs needs to have a federal standard and licensed accordingly, throwing a jacket with dog does not make them a trained medical aide.

And why are these stories only on Yahoo???
Local coverage:

https://www.ktnv.com/news/investigat...ation-launched

https://www.kjct8.com/content/news/F...511227072.html

A diabetes-focused website:

https://myglu.org/articles/family-wi...as-smashburger

Fox News:

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/s...-family-claims
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies