Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2019, 01:40 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Technically you're right but we all know why they're doing this. Just like we all know what the end goal is. It's merely one salvo in the war against abortion.

I believe you are feigning ignorance because you know what I'm saying is the truth. If you're not then why do YOU think they're defunding Planned Parenthood.
Well since PP says only 3% of its business is abortions, and that they can't spend federal money on it anyway, it won't effect abortion access at all.

Right?

Or is PP not being honest about 1. its finances and 2. how it counts abortions for PR purposes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 01:40 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Technically you're right but we all know why they're doing this. Just like we all know what the end goal is. It's merely one salvo in the war against abortion.

I believe you are feigning ignorance because you know what I'm saying is the truth. If you're not then why do YOU think they're defunding Planned Parenthood.
IMO, you're imagining a "problem" that simply doesn't exist. PP has no problem providing abortion services without federal funding. No reason why they can't continue to do so.

Old 06-22-2019, 01:42 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Federal defunding of PP will have little effect on the number of abortions that are performed.

Hyde Amendment

It will have other impacts and mostly towards lower income women. So much for caring about the general population.

Old 06-22-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Federal defunding of PP will have little effect on the number of abortions that are performed.

Hyde Amendment

It will have other impacts and mostly towards lower income women. So much for caring about the general population.
I disagree. As already noted (and a link was posted earlier in this thread), there are 20 times more FQHC Title X family planning clinics than there are PP facilities. Those 20 times more FQHCs, many located in areas that don't have a PP around for hundreds of miles, can be better funded with that extra money making low-cost or free family planning services available to FAR more women in need, nationwide.

(A Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) is a reimbursement designation from the Bureau of Primary Health Care and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services of the United States Department of Health and Human Services.)

Old 06-22-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I disagree. As already noted (and a link was posted earlier in this thread), there are 20 times more FQHC Title X family planning clinics than there are PP facilities. Those 20 times more FQHCs, many located in areas that don't have a PP around for hundreds of miles, can be better funded with that extra money making low-cost or free family planning services available to FAR more women in need, nationwide.

(A Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) is a reimbursement designation from the Bureau of Primary Health Care and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services of the United States Department of Health and Human Services.)
https://www.guttmacher.org/news-rele...ned-parenthood

Instead of defunding PP, I would rather see NYC free condom program (or similar) and education implemented at the federal level.

And I still stand by my original statement. Federal defunding won't do anything to reduce access to abortions; so acting with a false intent is a sign of stupidity.

Old 06-22-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
https://www.guttmacher.org/news-rele...ned-parenthood

Instead of defunding PP, I would rather see NYC free condom program (or similar) and education implemented at the federal level.
That's an "opinion," and a faulty one at that. It doesn't address the lack of Title X family planning health care services access for the tens of millions of women who do not live anywhere within hundreds of miles of the comparatively much less numerous PP facilities.

Given the fact that any sane person should believe that Title X services should be available to as many women in need as possible, it should be a 'no-brainer' to reroute that federal funding to the FQHCs, which are located near FAR more women in need, nationwide.

There will be no impact whatsoever on any woman's access to abortion. PP already provides abortion services without federal funding and can continue to do so.

Last edited by InformedConsent; 06-22-2019 at 03:19 PM..

Old 06-22-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
There will be no impact whatsoever on any woman's access to abortion. PP already provides abortion services without federal funding and can continue to do so.
Didn't I say this????

So what's the reason to federally defund PP? if not to reduce access to abortions?

Old 06-22-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Didn't I say this????

So what's the reason to federally defund PP? if not to reduce access to abortions?
PP has too few facilities to meet the entire country's needs. Rerouting that funding to the 20 times more FQHCs will provide Title X programs access to FAR more women in need.

Old 06-22-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
PP has too few facilities to meet the entire country's needs. Rerouting that funding to the 20 times more FQHCs will provide Title X programs access to FAR more women in need.
Failed to answer the question. Oh well.

Why would you route the funding... its not like 1 dollar of funding is going to be 20 dollars under FQHC?

You could have said to further separate abortion facilities then we would be at square one... false pretenses because of the Hyde amendment.

Old 06-22-2019, 03:12 PM

57,287 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
To ensure the books are clean.

If PP was honest, it wouldn't be an issue. Why don't they have designated abortion clinics and designated healthcare clinics?

There's a reason. Abortion is the money maker. About 1 in 8 PP patients get an abortion each year. Cha-ching.
So they need separate buildings for what reason, the "books are already clean", they are one of the most audited medical facilities. This is just another attempt to drive up the cost of abortion, the Hyde Amendment didn't do the trick so now they needed to step up their game. Maybe theses state have bad auditors if they need to go to this extent. Planned parenthood should just go ahead and close the clinics that offer healthcare and continue with abortions. Then the right wing wish could come true, they could destroy healthcare for poor women.

We will see if president bluster pulls the plug on Title X funding on these facilities this week.

Side issue but I don't see Trump complaining about the supposedly most liberal court in the land, the 9th circuit. Legislating from the bench!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies