Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 11:29 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,029,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post

I can hardly wait to see the headlines the first time the church cops shoot someone. As Christ said, "I bring not peace but a gun."

New Alabama Law Permits Church To Hire Its Own Police Force
https://www.npr.org/2019/06/20/73459...n-police-force

An Alabama megachurch will form its own police force after passage of controversial law
https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/21/polit...ce-force-trnd/
Then we would be justified in assuming that you are similarly terrified of the Disney cops.

Yes...Disney has its own police force. Watch out...Goofy and Donald Duck are heading straight for you with 4-foot batons, and they don't look like they're in the mood for mere skull-cracking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 11:34 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,498,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Strange sort of 'faith' in god when you need armed guards to protect you.
Exactly!!

I guess they want a back up plan just in case God does not protect them.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:43 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,460,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
No great loss for Alabama.
Why do you think it's wrong for a church to protect the worshipers in attendance?
Where did I say it was wrong? I said I didn't care.

Old 06-22-2019, 12:25 AM

46,865 posts, read 25,830,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
Then we would be justified in assuming that you are similarly terrified of the Disney cops.

Yes...Disney has its own police force.
Not in Disneyland, they don't. Anaheim PD and (and FD) have a presence in the park, but the officers are not Disney staff. Of course, the parks have tons of security guards.

Disney understands - and a lot of posters in this thread apparently do not - that there is a difference between a civilian security guard and a sworn peace officer.

Peace officers have a panoply of rights and protections that aren't available to security guards and other civilians - chief among them the right to arrest based merely on probable cause, and qualified immunity from repercussions if he can argue that he thought, honest, that the arrest was merited. This is some pretty heavy-duty power to put in the hands of a church, and there will be a 1st amendment suit over it.

Old 06-22-2019, 12:31 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,770,939 times
I really think its past time to start taxing the church in this country. If they want to meddle in politics and militarize, they should not be tax exempt. Not that they should be able to do that to begin with being that the founding fathers explicitly set up separation of church and state (yes, I know Jerry Falwell and David Barton have convinced a sizable portion of Americans otherwise).

If churches need security they should pay for it from the city.

Old 06-22-2019, 12:45 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,412,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Yeah I've heard of Dylann Roof.
I think the point of my post kinda flew right over your head there.

I was commenting on the futility of 'faith' - believing your god is going to somehow protect you. If you need armed guards what is it you are believing in?
Is this a serious question? You really don't know that people of many faiths have wrestled with the existence of evil in a world that God created? And have wrestled with the question for literally thousands of years????

Old 06-22-2019, 12:47 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,412,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Exactly!!

I guess they want a back up plan just in case God does not protect them.
Right? I bet they also have fire extinguishers and sprinklers in the church too.

Crazy Christians!

Old 06-22-2019, 01:20 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,021,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I really think its past time to start taxing the church in this country. If they want to meddle in politics and militarize, they should not be tax exempt. Not that they should be able to do that to begin with being that the founding fathers explicitly set up separation of church and state (yes, I know Jerry Falwell and David Barton have convinced a sizable portion of Americans otherwise).

If churches need security they should pay for it from the city.
A ton of places pay for private security. I think you just wanted to rant.

Old 06-22-2019, 02:09 AM

5,789 posts, read 3,579,799 times
At this point, Alabama's powers that be should just come out and make this speech.

""The KINGDOM of God is NOT a democracy! NOR is it a Constitutional Republic! The LORD does NOT run for reelection. Because man was made in God's image, it follows that we should be governed by a government in God's image. Therefore, we need to establish a monarchy in place of a Constitutional Republic. Constitutional Republics, by definition, are an attempt to overthrow God's Holy laws and sovereignty and put it into the hands of MAN! In fact, the United States Constitution itself is the inspired word of Satan. The Founding Fathers of this wicked iniquitous nation only said Creator, not God, much less Jesus. All this means we worship MAN and his wicked sinfulness and allow disrespect for God's appointed authorities (in a non-democracy) to create a climate of Hooliganism! We are here to reestablish the Christian society that existed in Colonial America - We are NOT the United States of America! We are the Faithful Vassalage of the Kingdom of God!"

Old 06-22-2019, 02:23 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,553,508 times
Many univesities, both public and private, have their own police forces with general powers of arrest. Some churches have gatherings and memberships far larger in size. They should have the same rights. Vatican City has a well-equipped security force. It's difficult to call it a mere police force because of its level of arms and personnel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies