Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 04:42 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"and their life outcomes have an effect on all of us"

What is the old saying, "Am I my brother'e keeper?"
This saying makes my blood boil. When someone utters it to present Biblical support for social justice, it's not my monkeys, not my circus. But then it is hailed loudly when trying to force someone into sexual behavior that is deemed "right" by them. It is disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 04:49 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
My niece, an intelligent young lady, just made that choice. She was raised in good London and the Boston area. Is a citizen of the US and England and is an English MD. Given the effective choice of anywhere in the EU or USA she chose Copenhagen, Denmark where she just had her first child.

So a thinking upper class person passed on the US and England in favor of Denmark. There are of course other complications in such a decision. But she chose with full knowledge of the countries involved. And I suspect her child will end up a citizen of all three...
" an intelligent young lady,""in favor of Denmark."

Isn't that called an oxymoron.

Denmark is pretty HIGH on the number of suicides for a reason.

Old 06-27-2019, 04:54 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:

Yah. Seasonal affective disorder.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:01 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

They are citing perjury as an example of limitation of freedom of speech. Give me a break. LOL

Old 06-27-2019, 08:21 AM

662 posts, read 313,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I'll tell you frankly, when i and others read your post, we know that you've never pushed beyond your own limitations. Aim high.
So you have no response to Trump taking Putin's criticism of American Exceptionalism as valid? Didn't think so. Continue aiming low, you already do and it shows.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:02 AM

27,565 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Every country will have some areas without violent crime. Your post is nothing but a feeble and thinly guised "yeah but". The U.S. suffers from a higher crime rating due to the country's STATS. Full stop.
So, it seems that you don't see any reason why somebody might prefer the United States or even be proud to live in this country over others.

Is this correct? lol

Old 06-27-2019, 09:20 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
There is a thing you see a lot on this and other boards. It's my opinion! I have a right to my opinion! Sure, of course you have a right to your opinion. That does not make it a GOOD opinion, an opinion on merit or in any way based on facts or reality. A lot of conservative opinion is based on fantasy, not reality. Or a wistful desire for the way they think things should be.
Of course, no one could disagree with this.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:30 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:

Denmark is a third lower than the USA.

And again she could have picked anywhere in the US or EU. The physician thing may have made Europe more desirable though she has the resources to jump through any US medical hoops if she wished. And note that she is now fluent in Danish...A significant achievement for an adult.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:37 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, it seems that you don't see any reason why somebody might prefer the United States or even be proud to live in this country over others.

Is this correct? lol
Of course it's not correct. Strawman arguments are the easiest to see through. LOL.

Being proud to live somewhere, or preferring to live there has no bearing whatsoever on the destinations perceived exceptionalism.

I live in Canada, am proud to live there, and prefer to live there, but will go on record as stating the country is not exceptional in all criteria that would be used to determine a blanket determination of "exceptionalism".

I actually prefer now to live in Florida during the winter months, but that's not due to pride or Florida's exceptionalism …. it's the winter climate …. full stop. However, Florida's winter climate is not exceptional when compared to any number of other locations with better.

Nor is the U.S. exceptional as compared to all other countries if you care to use anything other than your own bias of pride and preference of living there.

Are you exceptional in your on-going struggle with race relations? Nope. How about those kids in cages on your southern border? Well, yes that's exceptional, but, certainly not in a good way.

Poverty level, incarceration rate, cop killings, class distinction, educational disparities, deaths without any type of medical insurance leaving undiagnosed illnesses untreated, third leading cause of preventable deaths? Is the U.S. on the positive side of exceptional in those areas?

Being exceptional in significant numbers of specific metrics is easily proven on behalf of the U.S. as it would be for any number of other first world countries. But, to claim America is uniquely exceptional across the board is nothing more than wishful thinking.

I don't know how anyone could explain this position to you or some other Americans so as to have it looked at with anything other than your age old indoctrinated mantra... : Numero-Uno.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:13 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
They are citing perjury as an example of limitation of freedom of speech. Give me a break. LOL
It's still a limit on speech, and it does counter the posters argument.

This is the thing. Most can see perjury as a logical restriction on speech.

People on this forum, constantly accuse Canada of not having free speech, because of our hate speech laws and state some very bizarre notions about them. Just read some in this thread.

If they actually read the law, and studied how it's been applied, they SHOULD then see ( although I have my doubts about some here ) that they are as reasonable as perjury laws etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies