Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 06:45 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,497,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
You might be touching a sensitive subject here. Didn't the US refuse thousands of jewish refugees pre and during WWII?
Now you're comparing Jews fleeing a government that was systematically trying to exterminate them to poor people coming up from Central America??

These insulting comparisons have to stop. I wish my grandfather could have told you what his life was like under Nazism. I can guarantee you he didn't get three meals a day, toys, and a soccer field to run around in.

Old 06-22-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
My apologies.. I went back and edited my post at the same time you posted this.
Thank you.

Old 06-22-2019, 06:49 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Why argue about a word. It's close....if not perfect....

"Concentration Camp" - a camp where people are concentrated. Or, by the book

"concentration camp noun
Definition of concentration camp
: a place where large numbers of people
(such as prisoners of war, political prisoners, refugees, or the members of an ethnic or religious minority) are detained or confined under armed guard"

So, yeah, sounds like some of these places could be accurately labeled as concentration camps. Might as well own it.....now, one can debate whether they are "concentration camps done well" or not, but we can start with that they are

Concentration Camps.

If you want to be Politically Correct, call them Mass Detention Facilities.

Old 06-22-2019, 06:51 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Except they won't. They realize how insulting that would be to black people.
You have a point there, Rachel. The trend of calling everyone Hitler, etc. is pretty disrespectful but I guess Jews aren't on the loony left's protected list.

Old 06-22-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You have a point there, Rachel. The trend of calling everyone Hitler, etc. is pretty disrespectful but I guess Jews aren't on the loony left's protected list.
Exactly. And that's my point. The loony leftists feel quite comfortable insulting Jews with this comparison to concentration camps, but you don't see them claiming being in a migrant camp is like being a slave on a southern plantation. Because that comparison would be insulting to blacks.

Old 06-22-2019, 07:52 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
Some of these people are fleeing conditions we cannot even fathom. There is no need to separate kids from the parents seeking amnesty. It is cruel, unnecessary & not what this country stands for. The cruel responses from angry people disgust me. BOO HOO is how many people feel when it is someone else in this situation but, boy would that change if they had to face what some of those trying to escape have. These are kids don't forget that.
If they were truly seeking amnesty, they had plenty of choices to choose from before ever reaching the U.S.

I can't believe you fall for that lie.

Old 06-22-2019, 07:54 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
Did the 2 months-old commit a crime ?
Their parents did. Blame their selfish, idiotic parents.

Old 06-22-2019, 07:54 PM

5,978 posts, read 2,232,627 times
Agreed now where are my reparations since you also agree!

Old 06-22-2019, 07:59 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,138,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Since liberals think that the way the migrants are being treated - in air-conditioned facilities, with three meals a day, toys and a soccer field for the children, classes, and medical care - is parallel to the experience of the Jews in Nazi Germany's concentration camps, would you say that the migrants have it just as bad as the slaves did in the pre-Civil War South? Or would that comparison be.....oh, I don't know....AN INSULT?? Perhaps INSENSITIVE to the suffering of slaves?
Can someone explain to me why Trump supporters are so crazily focused on one comment from a novice politician - and apparently keep misquoting her?

By the way, from what I've heard, not only are the children lacking in medical care, with no classes, but some ogres took away the toys, including the soccer balls.

Your comparison with slavery is too silly to discuss, since the children are not beaten or forced to work. (Although, come to think of it, some are forced to care for younger children.). So are you saying it's all fine, as long as the conditions aren't quite as bad as slavery?

Old 06-22-2019, 08:50 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
I think that what the take away is --- and is most definitely poorly communicated....the facilities are horrible.

I suspect AOC purposely used concentration camps to try and get the dialogue about the facilities and the horrible conditions.

it's a rookie move. Not a good one. It backfired.

But we can focus on that or we can have a discussion about what the govt. should do with the horrible conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies