Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2019, 12:04 PM

3,254 posts, read 3,745,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I was listening to a woman being interviewed this morning on Democracy Now. She and her organization (I wish I could remember her name) described their experiences at one of the TX detention facilities and the horrible conditions under which these children are being kept. She gave individual instances of particular children going without baths and of sleeping with no mats on cold concrete floors. She said there was a lice outbreak and several children were given a lice comb to use. One of the little boys lost the comb, so the border patrol folks took away their mats and made them sleep on the floor, after yelling at them. She interviewed several children, and these were the stories she heard, plus witnessing herself how filthy dirty these kids were.

She also spoke about very sick children with high fevers not being taken care of as they should be. She said the three meals a day consist of instant oatmeal for breakfast, some kind of soup and a cookie for lunch and if they're still hungry, maybe another cookie along with a packet of Koolaid. Then supper was the same. Not much to eat, and certainly nothing healthy. I hope she can continue to get the word out and that our representatives in Congress will take some positive action on this.

What you just described is happening in many poor neighborhoods around the country to people who are here legally. The residents of Flint, Michigan, say hello.

If the conditions at these border camps are so terrible, I would encourage those that are being placed there to return to where they came from.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:06 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,843,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I was listening to a woman being interviewed this morning on Democracy Now. She and her organization (I wish I could remember her name) described their experiences at one of the TX detention facilities and the horrible conditions under which these children are being kept. She gave individual instances of particular children going without baths and of sleeping with no mats on cold concrete floors. She said there was a lice outbreak and several children were given a lice comb to use. One of the little boys lost the comb, so the border patrol folks took away their mats and made them sleep on the floor, after yelling at them. She interviewed several children, and these were the stories she heard, plus witnessing herself how filthy dirty these kids were.

She also spoke about very sick children with high fevers not being taken care of as they should be. She said the three meals a day consist of instant oatmeal for breakfast, some kind of soup and a cookie for lunch and if they're still hungry, maybe another cookie along with a packet of Koolaid. Then supper was the same. Not much to eat, and certainly nothing healthy. I hope she can continue to get the word out and that our representatives in Congress will take some positive action on this.
The facility is in Clint, Texas, a small town about half an hour from El Paso. Around 300 children are being held there. Thankfully, it was visited as you report, by a handful of doctors and lawyers, who got to speak to around 60 of the children but who were not allowed inside. Four very sick toddlers were hospitalized when the doctors insisted upon it, but it's unclear whether or not anything else improved immediately.

I think I read that the premature three week old baby of a teenage mother was finally sent to a NICU - the young mother had a Caesarian and was in a wheelchair, trying to nurse the baby, who was wrapped in a dirty towel in a freezing cold room....I hope the young mother was allowed to accompany her baby.

For those of you still defending this sort of thing - and for those of you who care - please seek out news reports mentioning Clint, Texas. More details continue to surface.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:08 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,569,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
We have kids all over the country, and in fact all over the world, who suffer because of the choices their parents make.

Nobody told these people to come to our border. They made that choice knowing that they could deal with these types of issues.

If my dad goes to prison when I am a kid, guess what... I have to deal with that. (Crazy, I know... a child being separated from a parent because the parent broke the law...) It makes life tougher on me.

That reminds me....the worst part of AOC's "concentration camp" claim... Pretty sure that anybody who shows up on our border and is being given free things on the taxpayer's dime (even if liberals don't deem it "enough") is free to return to their home whenever they would like. Let a border agent know and I'm sure they will be more than happy to put you on the other side of the Rio Grande and allow you to go back home. I guess I missed that part of Auschwitz where the Hungarian Jews could simply leave and return home.
The choice as to how to treat these children is being made by the USA government! Deplorable, as are those that excuse it. As much as I can't stand Hillary, she was right on this issue.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:10 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,843,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
What you just described is happening in many poor neighborhoods around the country to people who are here legally. The residents of Flint, Michigan, say hello.

If the conditions at these border camps are so terrible, I would encourage those that are being placed there to return to where they came from.
Again, this is NOT about Flint, Michigan, children of imprisoned fathers, or homeless veterans, but about Clint, Texas and the plight of children being held in detention there while their parents seek LEGAL asylum.

And how, pray tell, do you expect two year olds who have been separated from their parents and who do not speak English to "return where they came from"?

Unless you refer to Heaven...sadly, at least six children have died in detention, with the bodies of three more little ones found near the border just today.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:12 PM

51,608 posts, read 25,642,689 times
The residents of Flint, MI have soap and beds. It's safe drinking water they are short of.

As to justifying mistreatment of children as a deterrent to seeking asylum. Clinton was far too kind by calling such folks "Deplorables."

Despicables is probably closer to the truth.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:26 PM

3,254 posts, read 3,745,505 times
Remind me how the end of that cartoon turns out for the Natives.

It's almost like having some sort of barrier/entry and an armed population could have done some good if preserving their way of life was the goal.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:32 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,279,661 times
You would think bleeding heart Democrats would have bought them soap and toothbrushes by now, but we all know they could care less- just something to complain about because Trump is President and not Hillary.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:58 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,199,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
You would think bleeding heart Democrats would have bought them soap and toothbrushes by now, but we all know they could care less- just something to complain about because Trump is President and not Hillary.
There are people who have tried, but the government will not allow it. The supplies have to actually be brought down by volunteers.

Since when does soap and toothbrushes qualify as something only "bleeding heart Democrats" think about? Really? The hard-hearted conservatives are not into soap and toothbrushes? Guess they feel it is an unnecessary luxury.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:01 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,188,303 times
Quote:
Besides being not understanding that you can't just give them supplies, it's COULDN'T care less.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:05 PM

25,423 posts, read 9,735,287 times
Quote:
I worry they wouldn't get the supplies if we sent them. I know several people who want to send supplies too, and they have the same concerns. And really to another poster's point, since when did wanting children cared for only for bleeding heart Dems? What is wrong with people in this country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies