Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2019, 11:34 AM

62,866 posts, read 29,098,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
CNN has just reported that 100 children have just been moved BACK to the Clint facility! What on earth is going on??

This is breaking news...CNN references a Border and Customs Patrol Officer for this info.

Added: NYT also has a little about this, with the addition that acting director John Sanders is expected to resign in a week or so. The Washington Post has an article with a little more info - seems no one thought to inquire how many beds were actually available at the place most of the kids were taken yesterday, so back they came. Good God, Texas/BCP, get your act together - you managed to house all those FLDS kids decently on quick notice about ten years ago. Do the same thing now!

I hope we get more of an explanation, because this sure looks like window-dressing to me right now. Moving the kids out, then back the next day without explanation - why? To obscure the harsh reality of the abusive neglect, in the hopes that the public will not notice and settle down again?
That's the problem, you are listening to CNN as bleeding hearts usually do.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:40 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times
Quote:
Yes, that is correct. The majority of the children in question did come through a legal port of entry, although I think this may apply only to adults, as children are not responsible for where they are taken by others and lack self-determination as minors.

My guess is that since record keeping has been so poor in regard to keeping family members informed of the whereabouts of minor children (and vice versa), and since many of the children are very young, it may never be possible to precisely know just where these children entered the United States. But surely this should be taken into account, as quickly reuniting them with their parents or other family members who are here legally and who want the children should be a priority. Holding a small child who cannot speak English and who has no idea where he or she is or where he or she came from, when their family members are known, legal, and want the child is mindless and a waste of resources.

to discuss your point would entail delving into the immigration process.

As noted in the New Yorker article I just linked, if we are taking real families - a safe parent and a young minor - at legal points of entry (they didn't sneak in a mile down the road and walk to the point) - and separating them, that is completely wrong and needs to be investigated and solved.

if the children came unaccompanied but have a legal adult blood relative - parent or grandparent - or other relative that has their own family unit here - a sibling or an aunt and uncle an their children, unless those children are grown - then we obviously need to do a better job getting them through the system faster and on to those legal guardians.

will these children be allowed to stay long-term? Again, we're onto immigration policy. I'm just talking about child custody and safety concerns.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:06 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,231,625 times
[quote=ATX Wahine;55510562]The Trump Administration warned everyone for well over a year that this crisis was occurring, while Democrats stubbornly held their hands over their eyes, denied it, and refused to work in good faith with Trump. And now these very same Democrats wish to beat up Trump over the very humanitarian crisis he warned them of that they denied was coming and would not work in good faith with him on.

Snort.[/QUOT

Snort away. You are just plain wrong on so many levels. Trump walked away from the $25 billion offer for wall money from the Democrats. Now, he continues to reject anything unless it includes money for the wall.
Let’s see if he agrees to fund soap for children.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:20 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,887,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
That's the problem, you are listening to CNN as bleeding hearts usually do.
I don't even have cable. Jumping to false conclusions, as cold hearts usually do. This story is breaking all over the place, including Fox. Sorry, your personal insults, false accusaations and denials of reality won't change that.

Last edited by CraigCreek; 06-25-2019 at 12:35 PM..

Old 06-25-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
It's the right thing to do to care for those incapable of caring for themselves, esp. children. Didn't Jesus say something akin to taking care of the children? To the ones who practice Christianity, I'm wondering about this.

I found these. https://ministry-to-children.com/bib...bout-children/
You're right. There are multiple incidences in the Bible of Jesus connecting with and caring for children and teaching others how to care for them.

When his disciples lost patience with little kids swarming over Jesus and tried to brush them off, he replied to let (i.e. "suffer") the little children come to him, for of such was the kingdom of heaven. Elsewhere, Jesus strongly condemns those who would offend one of these little ones - see Matthew 25:41 and verses on either side of this one.

A young boy provided the bread and two fishes with which Jesus is said to have worked a miracle and fed the multitudes, and Jesus is said to have wept over the death of a twelve year old girl and raised her from the dead, in famous accounts of his miracles..

Regardless of anyone's personal religious beliefs or lack thereof, it is clear that Jesus cared about, valued and liked children and that he taught his followers to cherish and protect the little ones.

My guess is that Jesus would be turning over the tables down at the border right now - and maybe in the Oval Office as well.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:28 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times
Ted nails it.

Where's Melania?

https://twitter.com/tedlieu/status/1143490763243831297

Old 06-25-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
It's the right thing to do to care for those incapable of caring for themselves, esp. children. Didn't Jesus say something akin to taking care of the children? To the ones who practice Christianity, I'm wondering about this.

I found these. https://ministry-to-children.com/bib...bout-children/
A bit much to expect when you have thousands marching up to our border all at once, isn't it? We are being overwhelmed with them. You liberals need to demand that the Democrats give the funds to Trump that he requested to take care of this crisis. It's on them, not Trump.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:00 PM

[quote=Jstarling;55511857]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
The Trump Administration warned everyone for well over a year that this crisis was occurring, while Democrats stubbornly held their hands over their eyes, denied it, and refused to work in good faith with Trump. And now these very same Democrats wish to beat up Trump over the very humanitarian crisis he warned them of that they denied was coming and would not work in good faith with him on.

Snort.[/QUOT

Snort away. You are just plain wrong on so many levels. Trump walked away from the $25 billion offer for wall money from the Democrats. Now, he continues to reject anything unless it includes money for the wall.
Let’s see if he agrees to fund soap for children.
You are conveniently leaving out a couple of things. Congress (the Dems) didn't offer Trump $25 billion only a mere pittance of it and certainly not up front but spread over a long period of time. They also wouldn't put an end to the visa lottery program and chain migration. They also wanted amnesty for the DACAs. Yeah, I know important details.

Trump has not included asking for any wall funds in seeking funds to supply basic needs to these children. So far the Democrats have offered nothing. Yeah, I know details matter. Keep in mind we have never before had so many adults crashing our borders with children before. Does one actually think that with a snap of our fingers we would have beds and supplies for all those people and the funds it would require to do so?

Last edited by Oldglory; 06-25-2019 at 03:22 PM..

Old 06-25-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
A bit much to expect when you have thousands marching up to our border all at once, isn't it? We are being overwhelmed with them. You liberals need to demand that the Democrats give the funds to Trump that he requested to take care of this crisis. It's on them, not Trump.
Last time that happened, Trump's "funds" got passed on to the likes of John Kelly, major-stakeholder in private prisons for kids, notably the one in Homestead, FL associated with Caliburn. Despicable, conscienceless people are getting rich off little sick kids who are being kept in filthy, freezing conditions and inadequately fed.

$775 per day per child is already provided for their supposed care. Where is it going? What's their oatmeal made of, gold flakes? Why can't private childcare facilities be commandeered, if space is the issue, and these kids be decently housed and cared for as were the FLDS kids in Texas ten years ago (and on very short notice, too)?

No, it's scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. Follow the money. It is highly like it's eventually going to that fattened Golden Calf (ox, more accurately) in the Oval Office and his cronies.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:15 PM

19,821 posts, read 12,084,715 times
Quote:
Last time that happened, Trump's "funds" got passed on to the likes of John Kelly, major-stakeholder in private prisons for kids, notably the one in Homestead, FL associated with Caliburn. Despicable, conscienceless people are getting rich off little sick kids who are being kept in filthy, freezing conditions and inadequately fed.

$775 per day per child is already provided for their supposed care. Where is it going? What's their oatmeal made of, gold flakes? Why can't private childcare facilities be commandeered, if space is the issue, and these kids be decently housed and cared for as were the FLDS kids in Texas ten years ago (and on very short notice, too)?

No, it's scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. Follow the money. It is highly like it's eventually going to that fattened Golden Calf (ox, more accurately) in the Oval Office and his cronies.
The Homestead facility was built and implemented under Obama, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.