Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 04:03 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
It's the right thing to do to care for those incapable of caring for themselves, esp. children. Didn't Jesus say something akin to taking care of the children? To the ones who practice Christianity, I'm wondering about this.

I found these. https://ministry-to-children.com/bib...bout-children/
well, I didn't see any who didn't care about the children .... perhaps by stating it was the parents/other adults' fault without specifically pointing out the innocent nature of young children who can't fend for themselves, they're doing wrong. And it's also possible that one or 2 that should be ignored anyway have actually blamed 4 year olds for coming across the border and winding up in this horrible circumstance.

And yes, you are right, Jesus spoke often about caring for those who could not care for themselves. Hopefully, all those who are Christian (and presumably Jewish, I'm no Old Testament expert on this issue) look into their hearts and realize that for the children, there is no greater issue than safety.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:09 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
What influx facilities are not providing beds, basic medical care, etc.?

The ones on the TX border.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Yes, the Wise Men had told Herod that the child was not only the Messiah but was to be the King of the Jews. The Jews spoke Hebrew and Aramaic and did not physically resemble the Roman Herod. Only Jewish baby and toddler boys were murdered, not children of other ethnicities. Their ethnic differences singled them out, though it was the fear of a new "King of the Jews" that drove Roman King Herod (then King of Judea, a Roman colony) to this atrocity.

It's not always easy to divide motivation and causation, but ethnic differences certainly played into the situation.

The beautiful medieval Christmas carol, still sung frequently today, "The Coventry Carol", is a lullaby sung in the voice of the Virgin Mary to Jesus, and its lyrics tell the story: "Herod the King, in his raging, ordered he hath this day/ His men of might, in his own sight, all children small to slay".

Now, can we get back to the current situation?
I haven't found anywhere that Herod was Roman, rather from the Judea area, born of a Judean-area father. He was granted domain over the area by the Romans, yes. I just think it's a bad allegory you're using. Happy to admit when I'm wrong and move back to the topic whenever you are.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
Absolutely not true. I know many many very religious left leaning people.
indeed there are very many.

but "leftists like jojo" don't actually believe in God. They just invoke religion when it fits their cause.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:22 PM

[quote=Oldglory;55513293]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post

You are conveniently leaving out a couple of things. Congress (the Dems) didn't offer Trump $25 billion only a mere pittance of it and certainly not up front but spread over a long period of time. They also wouldn't put an end to the visa lottery program and chain migration. They also wanted amnesty for the DACAs. Yeah, I know important details.

Trump has not included asking for any wall funds in seeking funds to supply basic needs to these children. So far the Democrats have offered nothing. Yeah, I know details matter. Keep in mind we have never before had so many adults crashing our borders with children before. Does one actually think that with a snap of our fingers we would have beds and supplies for all those people and the funds it would require to do so?
you mean the Dems in the House. By a 30-1 vote, the Senate Appropriations Committee pushed a bill out of committee on June 19th. With zero border wall funding, what's being sold as purely aid/effort to ameliorate the situation.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:27 PM

19,842 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post

No, I specifically asked about influx facilities but that takes reading comprehension.

Not that you care but I found on a justice for immigrants site that ORR only operates one influx facility and it is the one in Homestead.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:27 PM

62,955 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
well, I didn't see any who didn't care about the children .... perhaps by stating it was the parents/other adults' fault without specifically pointing out the innocent nature of young children who can't fend for themselves, they're doing wrong. And it's also possible that one or 2 that should be ignored anyway have actually blamed 4 year olds for coming across the border and winding up in this horrible circumstance.

And yes, you are right, Jesus spoke often about caring for those who could not care for themselves. Hopefully, all those who are Christian (and presumably Jewish, I'm no Old Testament expert on this issue) look into their hearts and realize that for the children, there is no greater issue than safety.
Sure, within our capabilities considering the magnitude of this crisis. We aren't miracle workers with endless funds to care for that many children all at once.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Sure, within our capabilities considering the magnitude of this crisis. We aren't miracle workers with endless funds to care for that many children all at once.
In May, Border Patrol apprehended 11,507 children traveling alone.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post

I'm pretty sure those are the CBP detention facilities. The Homestead influx facility is where we're all paying $750-775/night.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I'm pretty sure those are the CBP detention facilities. The Homestead influx facility is where we're all paying $750-775/night.
Exactly my point. There are numerous uninformed posters claiming we are paying $750-$775 a night for the children to be sleeping on the floor which is not true. OP is still posting that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies