Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 10:08 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
"I didn't realize this was only found in corporations"

Please point out where in my post that point was made. I'll wait.
That is the impression your post made to me.

What organisation or group has never had bad people?

There is nothing wrong with corporations. Some corporations, like every other group ever, has had bad people doing bad stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 10:15 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,944,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
That is the impression your post made to me.

What organisation or group has never had bad people?

There is nothing wrong with corporations. Some corporations, like every other group ever, has had bad people doing bad stuff.

So I'm responsible for your poor reading comprehension and emotional interpretations?

The question then becomes, should those who profit from our society be forced to act in a way that benefits the society they profit from? If so, how are corporations forced to "do good" if its not something they are naturally inclined to do? I assume we'll have different answers here.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
So I'm responsible for your poor reading comprehension and emotional interpretations?

The question then becomes, should those who profit from our society be forced to act in a way that benefits the society they profit from? If so, how are corporations forced to "do good" if its not something they are naturally inclined to do? I assume we'll have different answers here.
No, nobody should be compelled to do more than anyone else just because they make a profit.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:30 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,713,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I see lots people and most of the media are railing against the “evil corporations.” Is it determined by line of business, size or revenue?
I think the question is a little more complicated than most people are willing to consider, and not a function of "line of business, size or revenue."

The Mission Statement of just about any corporation can usually be found without much trouble. That statement essentially establishes the goal(s) of the corporation. Can't really blame or declare a corporation "evil" simply because they are essentially profit driven, to serve the stock holders (who only require a competitive ROI). As long as all actions on the part of a corporation are legal, it's hard to expect a corporation not to do what maximizes the bottom line within those parameters on behalf of the shareholders.

Problem is, however, there is very often a "gray line" between what is legal and what is harmful to society. Sometimes not gray at all but still legal. All too often a corporation can "cut corners" or cut expenses or pursue operations in a perfectly legal manner but with obvious harmful effects to its workers and/or the environment and/or the competition and/or unsuspecting investors and consumers.

Of course when the line of legality is crossed, it's much easier to declare a corporation "evil," though even then most corporations will "lawyer up" and profit for a good while longer anyway. Also of course, corporate leadership will have every defense against accusations of "evil," because just like people in general, we all have a way of justifying even our wrong-doings. Ask anyone in prison. They're all innocent...

This is essentially why it is so important that there be laws in place that make it clear for all corporations what is legal and what is not, though all too often it takes too long for laws to be passed before the damage is done. Serious damage to the environment, for example, was done for decades before laws were passed to put a stop to what you would think would be obvious wrong doing, but it was legal to dump toxins into rivers not all that long ago for example. Was legal to sell cigarettes to minors, with no warnings. To use asbestos to build homes and schools. To use single-walled underground fuel storage tanks at service stations that leaked gasoline into the ground water. Work kids in factories. Package food without health or safety precautions. Sell cars with no pollution reduction exhaust systems or seat belts. Over fish. Over hunt otters, whales, rhinos and countless endangered species for the short-sighted sake of our whims for delicacies, ivory and clothes...

Need I go on?

Last edited by LearnMe; 06-23-2019 at 10:54 AM..

Old 06-23-2019, 10:35 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
I think Nestle and Wal Mart are fairly bad.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
So, if they changed their names, they'd be good?

Old 06-23-2019, 11:38 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,554,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Both are fine institutions and contribute greatly to the U.S.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:38 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Its a legally accepted notion that corporations don't always have to act towards maximizing profits, but also can act in a manner that is socially responsible (and doesn't maximize profits). I think when corporations act ONLY in the pursuit of profit maximization, neglecting their social responsibility, is when they are prone for evil actions. Its pretty amazing what decent people do when working in a corporate environment.
What social responsibility?

Old 06-23-2019, 11:46 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Why does any corporation have the responsibility to provide health insurance?

Should they also pick up the tab for you car insurance and haircuts?
Yeah, they could offer that, too, as an incentive to work there, but only as a resort to attract workers, due to a labor shortage. Offering health insurance started due to labor shortages during WWII.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:51 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Every liberal on Wall Street would say profit.
Every conservative would say the same. The conservative may add that a business does not owe anybody a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies