Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 04:49 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I like your flat tax idea but with ONE caveat... Any increase will also increase the other... 3% increase will be 23% and 33%, no exceptions, all income from all sources, and of course get rid of payroll taxes....
If you do a percentage, make it the same for everyone.

The more you make, the more you pay. The less you make, the less you pay.

It's not what I'd prefer, but it's the best based on doing a percentage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 04:51 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I would do a national person tax for everyone over 20, and a state sales tax.

I agree with the idea of everybody paying in.
How would a "National Person Tax" work exactly? 20-22/23 a good number don't work and therefor do not make money to be taxed or pay for taxes with.

Old 06-23-2019, 05:13 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

Either everyone pays taxes or nobody pays.

Old 06-23-2019, 05:56 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
It's very difficult to not pay any taxes. Sales tax, property tax, tax on gasoline or alcohol or tobacco, Trump tariffs etc. I guess pretty much everybody pays some of those taxes.
5 straight years federal income taxes only should be criteria

Old 06-23-2019, 07:34 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
What?

Why should some people leech off the others? That’s slavery. How do you justify this?
It would be less taxes for someone making a million dollars. It just be a very low deduction for those with a low income.

The way the current system is people with a lower income have a lower rate.

Could balance it even further by setting a budget for the year; with 0lan of putting 2 Billion towards the debt and rainy day fund. So say 6 Billion is collected. The Government spends 2 Billion. Have an excess of 2 Billion left over. 2 million filed taxes. So of those 2 million they receive .1% of their tax return back.

I agree should be an amendment that taxes can't be raised in a 10 year time period. That the National Sales tax can't be increased past 5% but can be adjusted lower.

Last edited by RunD1987; 06-23-2019 at 08:15 PM..

Old 06-23-2019, 07:44 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

Of course that would be my preference to but I suspect it would be a miracle to happen... Decreasing it down to two tax brackets and simplification I would also accept as long as there is skin in the game for everyone...

Old 06-23-2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
5 straight years federal income taxes only should be criteria
You do realize that would mainly exclude young voters right? Voting after 5 years based on income taxes would remove likely anyone who is in college or up to five years out (depending how soon they start working.) This basically is a scam to make the country more Republican since older people tend to vote Republican. Now yes, we can make the argument that most yyoung people don't vote but I can talk for myself and my brother, we both voted young. This is a disgusting and discriminatory proposal.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:55 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,811,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I would make it that one must pay taxes 5 straight years to vote.
It's very rare (if it even exists) that a person would have not paid any taxes in the 5 years before they first vote.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
It's very rare (if it even exists) that a person would have not paid any taxes in the 5 years before they first vote.
They would but not income taxes until they make more than $3,000 a year. So if you work at Pizza Pit as a cashier at Fed minimum wage working 15 hours a week, you need to be there 30 weeks to qualify to pay taxes. Now if you work 28 hours during summer break you would not. The issue I see with going to a pay taxes for five years and you now can vote, is we would have the same problem we had in Nam, you are old enough to fight but not old enough to vote. Say, didn't we revolt from England because we didn't have a say in government? This is fairly similar.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:26 AM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
You do realize that would mainly exclude young voters right? Voting after 5 years based on income taxes would remove likely anyone who is in college or up to five years out (depending how soon they start working.) This basically is a scam to make the country more Republican since older people tend to vote Republican. Now yes, we can make the argument that most yyoung people don't vote but I can talk for myself and my brother, we both voted young. This is a disgusting and discriminatory proposal.
Assuming they work part-time as most do while in school, it would exclude no one. A flat tax, no deductions, has all paying something. No one freeloads like millions do now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies