Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 08:39 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,833,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Differing political perspectives of the same thing:

Russia correctly looked at the two choices. They correctly estimated that Trump would cause relations with other countries to deteriorate in general. They correctly estimated that the election of Trump would cause greater internal divisions.

It was not some great love for Trump.
Yep spot on

Old 06-24-2019, 09:07 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
It wasn't in favor of Trump, it was to get back at Hillary and cause internal trouble after she became president.

In December 2011, Vladimir Putin came closer than he’s ever been to losing his hold on power. At a crisis meeting with his advisers on Dec. 8 of that year, the Russian leader, Putin laid the blame on one meddling foreign diplomat: U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Five years later, the U.S. presidential elections gave Putin his chance for getting even. According to Clinton’s campaign staff and a number of cyber-security experts, Russian hackers in the service of the Kremlin were behind last week’s leak of emails from the Democratic National Committee. The hacked messages appeared to show DNC officials, who are meant to remain neutral during the Democratic Party’s primary race, favoring Clinton over her then-rival, Senator Bernie Sanders.

https://time.com/4422723/putin-russia-hillary-clinton/

Read on, it's not that he wanted Hillary. In the U.S. and the world everyone thought Hillary would win so he wanted to show mess with us and we will mess with you.
Makes some sense, but doesn't seem like the "whole truth" to me all considered...

Thanks for the article, one of the few I've come across that addresses my question. In this article, the case for why Putin considered "Trump Russia's favored candidate," is again reinforced. Note the difference between Trump and Obama in these respects that seems to be such a challenge for Trump supporters commenting in this thread...

"Five years later, the U.S. presidential elections may have given Putin his chance for getting even. According to Clinton’s campaign staff and a number of cyber-security experts, Russian hackers in the service of the Kremlin were behind last week’s leak of emails from the Democratic National Committee. The hacked messages appeared to show DNC officials, who are meant to remain neutral during the Democratic Party’s primary race, favoring Clinton over her then-rival, Senator Bernie Sanders.

Reactions to the leak so far, including from Clinton’s campaign managers, have focused on what Russia would have to gain from helping Donald Trump win the Presidency. Trump’s flattering remarks about Putin in the past, as well as his recent equivocating about whether the U.S. should defend NATO allies in case of a Russian attack, would seem to support the notion that Trump is Russia’s favored candidate."

Old 06-24-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Russia liked Trump because they thought he would be more sensible and steady in his decisions than any other candidate. Trumps a businessman, any businessman will tell you that conflict is the end of stability and therefore the enemy of human progress.

Hillary Clinton and many other people in the state apparatus just don't understand this. Madeline Allbright is just such a person. She sees the death and aborted existence of 500,000 Iraqi children as a statistic, as acceptable losses. Any businessman will see those 500,000 missing kids as a huge loss of human capital.

Except of course if you have business holdings in the MIC. Then you have interest in conflict and death.

Russia hopes for sanity in the world. They, more than anyone know the chaos of war. The debilitating conditions inflicted on a society by it.

US foreign policy is utterly insane. Russia wants to see that change for the good of everyone.
Can't disagree there is much about US foreign policy that is pretty hard to reconcile from the standpoint of what most Americans would agree is best for America, world peace and general economic prosperity for ALL concerned. Not sure how our foreign policy with Saudi Arabia and Israel always line up in those regards for example, but hey, peace on Earth is a difficult objective to achieve...

True that business people prefer stability and predictability, but I'm not sure Trump is "any businessman" when it comes to thinking beyond his immediate limited experience, let alone the realm of international trade, finance and global economics. Not sure that Russia "hopes for sanity in the world" any more than the United States seems to hope for the same, unless insanity in certain parts of the world better suit our national interests.

Either way, if Russia does indeed prefer sanity, that would be at least ONE reason they wouldn't have favored Trump as our POTUS, because if there is any POTUS who tends to keep everyone guessing what's next, it's Trump. Mostly because I think Trump is bumbling along without the sort of mental or moral compass that tends to be a little more predictable.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Putin detested Hillary Clinton, and even claimed there would be a war if she became President.

Why Putin hates Hillary - POLITICO

In the next election, the Russians mght back a different horse, indeed Bernie Sanders defence cuts ad cuts to US Forces in Europe would be music to the Kremlins ears.
Given the difference between the United States and Russia with respect to GDP, military budget and nuclear warheads, I really have to question just how much Russia is concerned with what you seem to think concerns them...

Military budget: $610 billion vs $66 billion?

Really?

Nuclear weapons: 7,200 warheads vs 7,500 warheads

Again it seems there is a bit more to the whole truth here than easily "meets the eye" when it comes to what Russia is concerned about and/or what Russia's strategy is across the board. Hell, we can't even agree about our own...

https://armedforces.eu/compare/country_USA_vs_Russia

Old 06-24-2019, 09:40 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
All through the Russian Investigation and since Mueller concluded the investigation it has been made clear the Russians acted in favor of getting Trump elected POTUS. There doesn't even seem to be any question or consternation about that goal for Putin and/or the Russian government. Perhaps a dumb question, but I haven't been able to find WHY it is that Russia should favor Trump for POTUS.
Because he is corruptible and, quite possibly, working at the behest of Putin.

Putin wants to weaken NATO. Mission accomplished. Putin wants to weaken our alliances. Mission accomplished. Putin wants to weaken America. Mission accomplished.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Specifically with Hillary when she was SOS the State Department was "involving" itself in Ukrainian elections and more importantly anti-Putin protests in Moscow. The extent of what they were doing is unclear but they were most certainly doing something. What they did in 2016 was personal for Putin. Given the ensuing chaos where we have the US media and US politicians basically accusing a sitting US President of being a traitor even after a two year investigation exonerating him this operation has succeeded beyond their wildest dreams.
Interesting in light of those who claim Obama did "nothing" with respect to Russia when Hillary was SOS. "Unclear" might be more accurate, and "certainly doing something" as well...

Interesting too, I think, that so many Americans don't seem much bothered by all we know the Russians are doing to influence our elections. Whether for Trump or not, sure seems we should be more concerned about the intrusions at least as much as we should be concerned whether our POTUS is complicit. No matter how prevalent the problem, a problem is a problem and foreign influence is a big one. Otherwise all these efforts by the United States and/or Russia wouldn't forever be in the works to undermine the other.

Was a day when you could count on conservatives to sound the alarm but now it's all about support of Trump regardless. Illegal immigrants, the media and environmental regulations are the new public enemy #1 for Trump and his supporters, on a long list that no longer even seems to include Russia...

Last edited by LearnMe; 06-24-2019 at 10:02 AM..

Old 06-24-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Differing political perspectives of the same thing:

Russia correctly looked at the two choices. They correctly estimated that Trump would cause relations with other countries to deteriorate in general. They correctly estimated that the election of Trump would cause greater internal divisions.

It was not some great love for Trump.
While some remain in denial that Russia favored Trump in the first place...

"You can lead a horse to water..."

Old 06-24-2019, 10:00 AM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
All through the Russian Investigation and since Mueller concluded the investigation it has been made clear the Russians acted in favor of getting Trump elected POTUS. There doesn't even seem to be any question or consternation about that goal for Putin and/or the Russian government. Perhaps a dumb question, but I haven't been able to find WHY it is that Russia should favor Trump for POTUS.

Any of the C-D foreign policy experts have an explanation?

Seriously, I'm not really interested in the obvious anti-Trump insults this question invites. I've searched for the REAL answer, and I can't seem to find a good one despite the overwhelming well documented evidence that the Russians acted on Trump's behalf and may do so again. Why?
Obama promised Putin goodies after the elections and the uranium he gave wasn't enough for Putin.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:15 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:

Any of the C-D foreign policy experts have an explanation?

Seriously, I'm not really interested in the obvious anti-Trump insults this question invites. I've searched for the REAL answer, and I can't seem to find a good one despite the overwhelming well documented evidence that the Russians acted on Trump's behalf and may do so again. Why?

Why would 2 Russian's(Trubnikov & Surkov) in close ties with Putin's Propaganda Machine, be feeding MI5/MI6, the CIA, The State Dept, and then the FBI. Fake dirt on Trump, if they wanted Hillary to lose?

Old 06-24-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Because he is corruptible and, quite possibly, working at the behest of Putin.

Putin wants to weaken NATO. Mission accomplished. Putin wants to weaken our alliances. Mission accomplished. Putin wants to weaken America. Mission accomplished.
Not sure if the mission of this thread is accomplished, but I do have a better take on the reasons Putin favors Trump as POTUS.

Another "mission accomplished" may be the help for some Trump supporters still struggling to accept this reality. Their "voices" noticeably quieter as this thread continued...

Putin: "I wanted Trump to win the election"

Additionally, back to the military considerations, I think this article hits on why Trump was not only favored but also wrong about Putin's thinking. Maybe more proof as well that Trump's belief we need to make our military any stronger is not sound. Always sounds good in a general sort of way, but in light of our strength compared to all other countries. Hard not to laugh a bit...

“There are many things that I do that are the exact opposite of what he would want. So what I keep hearing about that he would have rather had Trump, I think ‘probably not,’ because when I want a strong military, you know, she wouldn’t have spent the money on military,” Trump said in July 2017.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...on-2016-722486
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies