Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 05:56 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
According to the article no. Scalia felt the same way on a prior ruling.

This is not a second amendment issue, I don't see that as having anything tp do with the ruling.
We've covered that. It's an equal protection issue that could have repercussions on future 2nd amendment issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 05:59 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
As I've said before, it would be hilarious if, after having spent so much time and effort defending Kavanaugh, the conservatives ended up completely regretting it because he turned out to be a liberal.
Which would mean conservatives will ask for judges that are ultra conservative .

Old 06-26-2019, 07:29 AM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Would this ruling had been different with Scalia on the court as opposed to Gorsuch? Maybe. Funny how that works.
I don' know, it may well have been the same, because Scalia annoyed the conservative side plenty. Example off the top of my head would be Small v United States where he joined Thomas and Kennedy in the dissent because of what the law specifically said, and if the word "any" still has meaning, then Small was indeed breaking the law by owning a firearm in the US. Every conservative talking head on the planet jumped all over him and Thomas for "betraying the 2nd Amendment" and Scalia's reply was consistently to ask what does the law say, exactly, not what do you think the law meant.

And in this case, I think he would have gone the same way as Gorsuch. If the law is vague, and it is, then kick that crap to the folks who write and pass laws and have them make it less vague. Scalia was all about what does it say, how does it read, etc....not what do we all wish to invent or infer into it to make it suit our purposes.

And btw - good for Gorsuch and the liberals on the SCOTUS for getting this one right, and I totally agree with shaming Kavanaugh for that absurd statement, because he does make the opening argument for the case that safety concerns are a valid reason to disregard the Constitution as written. You know, that "compelling government interest" thing that has been the basis of some of the worst, most misguided SCOTUS decisions of the last 40 years (hello, Kelo v New London, I am talking to you).

Old 06-26-2019, 09:59 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,352,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
That response does not address the question. Does the 2nd Amendment convey a right to use guns in robberies, murders, rapes, etc.? That's the implication of making this a 2nd amendment issue, as OP does.
Of course not.

Why not refer to those who wrote the Constitution for the intended purpose of the 2nd Amendment?

Quote:
Samuel Adams:"Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: first, a right to life, secondly to liberty, thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can."

"That the said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of The United States who are PEACEABLE CITIZENS from keeping their own arms..." 
(Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, at 86-87 (Peirce & Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

John Adams:
"Arms in the hands of the citizens may be used at individual discretion for the defense of the country, the overthrow of tyranny or private self defense"

Thomas Jefferson:
 "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Old 06-26-2019, 06:57 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
You're right, it doesn't. The"implication" is absurd, as everyone knows.

Not that I know of. Everyone I know is capable of tying his shoes without assistance. That puts their cognitive ability far beyond the level required to believe your "implication" above.

Why? What do they have to do with your absurd theory?

If you really want to pursue your theory, you might inquire among the liberals on the board, some of whom have actually put forth theories fully as absurd as yours. Perhaps you can find common cause there.....
You did not pay attention. This is not my 'theory.'

This is just the logical consequence/implication of saying that this case involved the 2nd Amendment, as OP stated. This was a case regarding use of a gun in gas station robberies.

Maybe next time pay attention before undertaking to recommend courses of action for other posters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies