Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 10:29 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
It's what libs do - they hate America. I would be surprised if they did not do something like that.

Just think of what America's enemies do, and that is generally what a lib will do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
I’m a liberal and served my country. How about you Rightie?
hi pot, meet kettle

Hawkeye should not have said that it is what libs do, because certainly overwhelming majority of the libs are not flag burners.

You shouldn't assume/imply only military service = serving his/her country. Plus, there are a lot of righties who served in the military as well.

said poster could be a doctor, a doctor served his country too, no ? (fire fighters, police officers, janitor, factory workers, lawyers, school teachers, waiters, etc, etc etc. They all served their country,one way or another.) Military service is certainly not the only way to serve one's country, although it is a very admirable way.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 06-26-2019 at 10:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I can tell you from firsthand experience, many vets are very much offended at people who wear the American flag on their clothing! I was called out on this years ago by a retired vet who was a co worker. I apologized and admitted I had never heard of this in regards to the flag, although after I knew, I no longer wore anything with the American flag on it!
I hope he chose to be respectful at least. Like I posted earlier, not everybody is so familiar with flag code. I only am familiar with part of it, I certainly don't know all of it.

I have vet friends who would respectfully point out what I've said or done wrong regarding anything military. I'd take it as a learning opportunity, correct my mistake, remember it, thank them and move on.

I also met vets who have astonishing sense of entitlement, they'd scream, yell, and claiming us civilians don't know anything about sacrifices or the military. Yeah, right! like I would automatically respect such a person.

Respect is a two way street.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:22 PM

3,840 posts, read 3,066,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
I wonder if the leftist will be flying his hammer & sickle flag?

Leftist would be triggered and riot if an ISIS flag was burned.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:31 PM

1,991 posts, read 900,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I can tell you from firsthand experience, many vets are very much offended at people who wear the American flag on their clothing! I was called out on this years ago by a retired vet who was a co worker. I apologized and admitted I had never heard of this in regards to the flag, although after I knew, I no longer wore anything with the American flag on it!
Do you mean wearing the flag as clothing, or wearing the flag (like a flag patch for example) on your shirt or jacket?

I think it shows disrespect to wear the flag design as swim trunks or the like, but I have no problem with someone wearing a flag on there shoulder or hat. I do that quite a lot.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:32 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Little thought for ya. A flag is a SYMBOL not the thing itself. I know that is tough for some of you. This is what dissent, which is a wonderful form of free speech looks like using a symbol.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:47 PM

1,991 posts, read 900,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
hi pot, meet kettle

Hawkeye should not have said that it is what libs do, because certainly overwhelming majority of the libs are not flag burners.

You shouldn't assume/imply only military service = serving his/her country. Plus, there are a lot of righties who served in the military as well.

said poster could be a doctor, a doctor served his country too, no ? (fire fighters, police officers, janitor, factory workers, lawyers, school teachers, waiters, etc, etc etc. They all served their country,one way or another.) Military service is certainly not the only way to serve one's country, although it is a very admirable way.
Janitors? Waiters? Lawyers, and School Teachers? It’s not like they shouldn’t be appreciated for what they do, but no, they cannot say they served their country.

When you sign the oath to put your country’s welfare before your own, then you can say you served your country. Similarly, a first responder who day to day puts their life on the line for their community, yeah, in my opinion they are serving their country.

Finally, while we rarely agree, by your volunteerism to the VA, you are serving your country. Thank you.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:54 PM

4,508 posts, read 1,863,256 times
Is anyone else shocked that 4th of July hasn’t been banned yet due to racism, sexism, homophobia, climate change, and concentration camps?

Old 06-26-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
Janitors? Waiters? Lawyers, and School Teachers? It’s not like they shouldn’t be appreciated for what they do, but no, they cannot say they served their country.

When you sign the oath to put your country’s welfare before your own, then you can say you served your country. Similarly, a first responder who day to day puts their life on the line for their community, yeah, in my opinion they are serving their country.

Finally, while we rarely agree, by your volunteerism to the VA, you are serving your country. Thank you.
I have to respectfully disagree with you there.

It looks like we have a different definition of serving the country.

I think those doctors without borders, they, not only served their country, they do something good for humanity.

"Serve the nation" is a very broad term. ... Be it joining the Armed Services, joining the Peace Corps, Volunteering or doing anything that will help the nation and the people who call it home! Any time you sacrifice your own well being for the benefit of your nation, you're serving your nation.

Yes, when the lawyers do pro bono work for the vets (or people cannot pay), they serve their country

When the doctors volunteer, or become doctors without borders, (I have a uncle who used to be a doctor without borders) they serve their country

When a teacher chose inner city, not an upper middle class neighborhood to teach, he/she served the country.

It depends on what they do, not what they are. I volunteered at the va hospital because I liked that environment and I liked the vets. (my intention has nothing to do with serving the country) Now I was there for almost six years, I Do indeed feel I served my country and humanity. When I donate my time and my money to charity organizations, I also feel I served my country. There are many just like me. Many business owners donate $$$$ and goods, they serve the country although many would say they earn tax credits (so what? )

I understand the point you are making though.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 06-26-2019 at 02:09 PM..

Old 06-26-2019, 03:07 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Little thought for ya. A flag is a SYMBOL not the thing itself. I know that is tough for some of you. This is what dissent, which is a wonderful form of free speech looks like using a symbol.
that symbol draped my fathers coffin and was folded and handed to my mother...……...I wish to have one on my casket also...……………….To some people it is much more than a symbol...…...Ever heard of the term "Respect"?

Old 06-26-2019, 03:10 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
They haven't said exactly when or where they will do this, whether it will be done when President Trump is present and/or in one of the usual "protest zones" out of sight of normal people.

But you can probably count on the far-left media to give it more coverage than they give the actual 4th of July celebration. ...
Freedom of Speech. If we have to listen to the hate speech from the Right, we might as well give others to share their opinions. If our president can court oppressive leaders that see the US as an enemy, then burning a flag doesn't seem so odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies