Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 07:15 AM

1,109 posts, read 1,251,642 times

Advertisements

I doubt this will happen as it will put the deniers at a disadvantage.. but how about anytime you claim something (like the land is falling, not the ocean rising), that you simply fact check yourself and show the link you found. It just shows someone agrees with you. Without references, you have no credibility with me and I have no credibility with you. The references also keep the conversation civil.

Old 06-27-2019, 11:02 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
AGW is not real, but if it was, you couldn't stop it.
Huh? That makes no sense. If it’s real, it can’t be stopped? So you don’t believe in all the science supporting global warming but you believe the science has shown it can’t be stopped? You remind me of attorney general when he said, “we’re all going to die anyway.” Lol. You must be a hoot at parties.

Old 06-27-2019, 11:25 AM

18,444 posts, read 8,272,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltcolorado View Post
I doubt this will happen as it will put the deniers at a disadvantage.. but how about anytime you claim something (like the land is falling, not the ocean rising), that you simply fact check yourself and show the link you found. It just shows someone agrees with you. Without references, you have no credibility with me and I have no credibility with you. The references also keep the conversation civil.
disadvantages are painful....

Plenty of places where the land is sinking faster than the sea is rising...
...if sea level rise stopped tomorrow....they would still sink

Subsidence along the Atlantic Coast of North America: Insights from GPS and late Holocene relative sea level data

"The present‐day subsidence rates in these areas are approximately double the long‐term geologic rates, which has important implications for flood mitigation. Tide gauge records, therefore, should be used with caution for studying sea‐level rise in this region."

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley....2/2016GL068015

Old 06-27-2019, 12:18 PM

1,109 posts, read 1,251,642 times
Thanks for the reference, it gives us something real to discuss.

The reference just given shows some areas on the Eastern seaboard with specific areas dropping between zero to 3 mm per year. I want to point out this is LAND level drop.

This link below from Nasa shows actual SEA LEVEL increase and its running 3.3 mm per year. This is actual Satellite date so not subject to an error from land level change but only goes back to when Satellites were used to measure this. A second plot shows land based measurements over a longer time period.
https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/sea-level/

The link presented by the last poster really had nothing to do with actual sea level rise on the planet. Its easy to find references of Satellite data (which is accurate) on sea level measurements that show it actually is rising.

And that is why we need references.

You can also find many predictions on sea level rise but you have to keep in mind they are predictions and could be wrong.

Here is one https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science...a-map-for-that

Quote:
Sea levels could rise as much as 19 inches by 2050, according to what the report calls “mid-range projections.”
2050 is about 30 years from now. Compare the mid range prediction of 19 inches to the 1.5 mm per year drop given in the previous posters reference. 31 years at 1.5 mm is 46 mm or 1.8 inches. Hmm..

We have to realize also that the higher rates of sea level change are predicted to occur later in this century. From this link https://www.nap.edu/read/13389/chapter/7#87

Quote:
I thought that everyone knew about coastal subsidence due to effect of having over a mile of ice having melted from the land mass from the last ice age. One presumed that this was common knowledge- however, we can simply discard that and conclude that it is due to CO2! In that the AGW crowd actually believes that the oceans are rising on the coast of the US, rather than the land subsiding

Scratching my head a little as I guess the post above was supposed to show that the oceans are not rising on the east coast of the US.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:54 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,174,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Nor have I. Hopefully fusion will be a viable alternative soon enough too. There’s lots of viable alternatives to burning old dinosaur bones. But there’s lots of fossil fuel interests that have republicans by the balls and would love to keep that status quo... until we tap out this planet.
The biggest problem with ever having additional nuclear power plants are the left wing "green" activists who are against it!

Old 06-27-2019, 04:06 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Rich people can often buy their way out of MANY unpleasant things. Nothing new about that.

Another news flash: Life is not fair. (Unfortunately.)

Old 06-27-2019, 04:22 PM

5,104 posts, read 2,050,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Last week it was whiteys fault. Msm sure likes to divide the suckers.
I begin to wonder if whites are the new jews for the blame game?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies