Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 08:12 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If you want to start a fat shaming thread, go ahead. This one was quickly exposed and I have no desire..........
Actually, you didn't expose anything because this is not a fat shaming thread.

As I have said multiple times already, I don't care how people treat their bodies. I do, however, care how much it cost me. It is impossible to talk about insurance without talking about personal health the same as it is impossible to talk about auto insurance without talking about driving habits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 08:17 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Can you explain the statement in bold? Are you resurrecting Sarah Palin's death panels?
No. I'm not a statist.

The State controls licensing, insurance, regulates, and legislates your health care.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:17 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
My husband and I have almost perfect driving records. And because of that, our auto insurance is lower than typical.

We are health freaks. We workout at the gym almost everyday of the week. We are very mindful of what we eat. We are both very active adults. Our blood tests always come back exactly what a healthy adult should be. His body fat percentage is 10-12% while mine is 13-14%.

So, why do we pay the same premiums for our health insurance as people who are morbidly obese?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not putting down fat people at all. I believe in freedom of choice. If people want to be fat, then more power to them.

But how come insurance companies never put one's healthy lifestyle (or the lack thereof) into account?

They do- we call those deductible payments.

Further, if you ever try to buy health insurance outside of your employer, your health history makes all the difference in the world.

The "pre-existing conditions" BS of Obamacare is a lie. I have had (and have) cancer a few times and cannot buy a policy for any price. Thus, I need to work for a larger medical group to get insurance.

A good health history can and will save you money.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:18 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
No. I'm not a statist.

The State controls licensing, insurance, regulates, and legislates your health care.
And how is ^^^ this a bad thing that causes death?

Old 06-27-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Actually, you didn't expose anything because this is not a fat shaming thread.

As I have said multiple times already, I don't care how people treat their bodies. I do, however, care how much it cost me. It is impossible to talk about insurance without talking about personal health the same as it is impossible to talk about auto insurance without talking about driving habits.
So you accept collectivism/Marxism but aren't happy with the results as an individual?

Golly, I'm shocked.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:20 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
They do- we call those deductible payments.

Further, if you ever try to buy health insurance outside of your employer, your health history makes all the difference in the world.

The "pre-existing conditions" BS of Obamacare is a lie. I have had (and have) cancer a few times and cannot buy a policy for any price. Thus, I need to work for a larger medical group to get insurance.

A good health history can and will save you money.
Medicare does not deny based on "pre-existing conditions." Another good argument for Medicare for all.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
And how is ^^^ this a bad thing that causes death?
Because purposely creating doctor shortages, regulating talent/innovation out of the field, and denying freedom of association in general can and have killed people.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Actually, there have been 2 specific "rewards" mentioned in this thread so far. I've already stated why neither of these 2 are real promoters of healthy lifestyle. I'll repeat here.

(1) Wellness programs don't reward outcome. They only reward you participating in it. It's pretty much participation trophy. One who is morbidly obese could still get that physical to get the monthly discount.

(2) Non-smoker's discount. I can stuff my face with cheeseburgers all day and not smoke. Doesn't mean I'm healthy.
There is no "healthy lifestyle" to an insurance company when you get down to it. We are applying real world healthy lifestyle choices to the fake world of Marxism.

As I said, if you really want your costs to come down under the current system (why you want to continue this system is beyond me) you have no choice but to go on an all-Twinkie diet and convince others to do so. That is the "healthy lifestyle" choice in terms of money.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:34 AM

5,981 posts, read 2,235,359 times
Quote:
Forgive me, I did not mean to sound like I was focusing all on waist size alone.

Yes, I am aware of the skinny-fat phenomenon. I used to be one. So was my husband. A number of years ago, we decided to push each other to better ourselves.

I'm also fully aware that there are conditions out there that one cannot help. But it is undeniable that proper diet and regular exercise gives a person much more chances to be healthy than not, yes?

Try to see it this way. I'm a passive driver. When I see someone having a turn signal on, I wait until that person makes the turn before I pull out. I don't assume anything. And yet, a few years ago I was t-boned by some dude who ran a red light. Does this mean I shouldn't be a careful driver anymore because I never know when life hits? What's the point of being a safe driver if I could be involved in an accident regardless?
I think I get what many are asking for and I don't completely disagree. But I would also note many of you would see higher premiums simply by aging as well if premiums moved with "Risk" as well. That is what puzzles me about the arguments made here. How far down the "Its your fault" line do we want to go. Insurance companies are a petty bunch who will raise a premium for any reason not barred by law.

1) Your getting older period. Therefore your risk goes up annually. = Annual rate increases

2) EVER (Yes medical diagnosis do not disappear off your record even after resolved) reported or had a weight recorded above your ideal body weight, Premium increase

3) Your eating a hotdog on Facebook, Premium goes up

4) Nice sports car, nice boat, might (don't need proof) drown or drive too fast: Insurance premium goes up.

5) Awesome vacation pics especially the one on the zip line, reckless behavior: Premium goes up

All I am saying is be careful opening the door to close examination by insurance companies. I don't believe that insurance companies would stop at Hight, weight, BMI, and blood pressure. They would lobby to examine your entire life to assess risk and may have a good case to do as Life insurance often does this.

Just arguing the counter, again I AGREE with the "idea" of lower insurance cost for individuals who take additional steps for personal health. But I would warn against allowing insurance companies to act or adjust premiums bases on medical records. Also remember there are a ton of things that are risk factors medically that may not be seen or even known as risk factors to the general public, but are documented in your medical records

Last edited by Daryl_G; 06-27-2019 at 08:47 AM..

Old 06-27-2019, 08:37 AM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
On the point No_Recess is making about lifestyle vs profitability for insurers, he's absolutely right, but again, only if the insurer can set rates according to the model.

The healthy person who will live to be 95 and be a drain from age 90-95 should have progressive increases in their health insurance premiums as they age, since anything that will kill them prior to those advanced years will likely be sudden and not all that costly. It's at the end when they are a constant drain on resources that prolong life by months, even weeks....that's where the premiums should go ballistic.

The morbidly obese person, on the other hand, should have their premium revenue front loaded, but be less progressive, since risk analysis says they are going to die early, and you want to get your payday before that. Whatever kills them will likely be sudden as well, but far more predictable from a statistics perspective, so grab the premium cash while you can.

Now, in the world where the state controls all this according to how easily it keeps the powerful entrenched in that power, go figure the odds of allowing insurers to set rates according to the ugly realities of probability & statistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies