Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2019, 02:04 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,208,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Here's something for that "That's implied."

The pregnant woman was in a car when she was shot.

https://abc3340.com/news/local/un, b...hot-in-stomach
this is interesting, and presents different facts. At the same time, your link is from the day of/day after the shooting.

Certainly the original article linked, written today, made no mention of the mom being in a car. Who knows where that "testimony" came from.

The current article does state, as has subsequently been posted:

Quote:
The shooting happened about noon on Dec. 4, 2018, outside Dollar General on Park Road. Officers were dispatched to the scene on a report of someone shot but arrived to find the shooting victim – later identified as Jones - had been picked up and driven to Fairfield. Police and paramedics then found the Jones at a Fairfield convenience store.

Jones was taken from Fairfield to UAB Hospital. She was five months pregnant and was shot in the stomach. The unborn baby did not survive the shooting.
if we assume today's article is based upon further investigation and is factual, then the mom fled the scene, and went about 3 miles up the road. To a convenience store. With a bullet in her stomach (and presumably the baby). And somehow the police then found her there, and took her 7 miles to the hospital.

certainly the discussion of the shooter's timing would have , been brought up at the grand jury, thus only one of 3 possibilities:

1. the testimony was never given to the grand jury
2. the testimony was not deemed credible
3. AL really is that screwed up that they let someone shoot someone else after their physical altercation had ended and the injured was "fleeing".

Old 06-27-2019, 02:10 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,869,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
this is interesting, and presents different facts. At the same time, your link is from the day of/day after the shooting.

Certainly the original article linked, written today, made no mention of the mom being in a car. Who knows where that "testimony" came from.

The current article does state, as has subsequently been posted:

if we assume today's article is based upon further investigation and is factual, then the mom fled the scene, and went about 3 miles up the road. To a convenience store. With a bullet in her stomach (and presumably the baby). And somehow the police then found her there, and took her 7 miles to the hospital.

certainly the discussion of the shooter's timing would have , been brought up at the grand jury, thus only one of 3 possibilities:

1. the testimony was never given to the grand jury
2. the testimony was not deemed credible
3. AL really is that screwed up that they let someone shoot someone else after their physical altercation had ended and the injured was "fleeing".
The pregnant woman is the person who called the police. She left to get herself help. Unfortunately, she didn't get far. Fortunately, the police did catch up to her and got her to a hospital. The other woman left, too. To go back to work. The police arrested her at her workplace.

Since grand juries are told only what the district attorney wants them to be told, I'm not sure that a discussion of the shooter's timing would have been brought up.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Well, I read it on a UK site. So it's spread world wide and again, the US is the laughing stock of the world. The comments on that site indicate that they think our whole country is crazy like this. Thanks, Alabama.

No one has a right to pull a gun and murder someone in cold blood. How anyone could twist that around to blame the pregnant woman, is beyond me.

well, it's possible a lot of their commentators read no more of it than those within this thread did.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:12 PM

1,065 posts, read 597,405 times
Quote:
Marshae Jones was 5 months pregnant. She got into a confrontation with another woman over the father of her baby. The fight ended up with the other woman shooting Jones in the stomach. She lost the baby. Now Alabama is charging Jones. As a pregnant woman, the state says, she should not have gotten into that argument.

So the state wants to control pregnant women and when they have disagreements with others?

https://www.pennlive.com/nation-worl...goes-free.html
Women in Alabama shouldn't announce their pregnancies, and they should wear bigger clothes and not get prenatal care. That way, if something happens, they can say they didn't know they were pregnant.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:13 PM

36,502 posts, read 30,843,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
If your complaint is that people who sometimes should be charged are not, or people who sometimes shouldn't be charged ARE, then you're having a different argument than I am. As a general legal principle and a matter of statutory law, both men AND women are entitled to defend themselves against their attackers; there's no legal principle or statute stating otherwise as you apparently are attempting to assert.

I have neither the time nor inclination to examine and analyze the specific fact pattern in all of your links, but I notice your selective formulation where the women have been jailed "for shooting their abusive SO." Only in very rare circumstances will the mere fact of an SO being abusive and therefore presenting a PROSPECTIVE threat of great bodily harm will the use of lethal force be justified; otherwise the threat must be IMMINENT for a self-defense claim to succeed.
my complaint is that it is common, very common, for those in the exact situation to be charged with assault/murder for pulling a gun and shooting their aggressor. You can deny all you want but the links clearly show and address the occurrence of women going to jail for killing their abusers and the links I provided were situations where they were in imminent danger.
Its not a matter of sometimes should or should not be charged. I would us cases of parents leaving their children in hot cars to die for that.
You just refuse to see the bias in this case. It goes directly opposite of normal proceedings because the woman was pregnant and the shot killed the fetus instead of her.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:20 PM

5,340 posts, read 4,425,953 times
There are 39 states that have laws on the books detailing what is, and what is punishable, regarded fetal death via manslaughter or murder. This site spells out the laws in those states. It is not an Alabama or a southern thing.

It is not unheard of for a woman to be charged in the death of her child if that death was not natural or via abortion.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:24 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,376,656 times
She shouldn't have been charged, period. The person who shot her, walked free.

Lots of women have miscarriages and the reasons why are often complex and/or unknown.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Unbelievable. Prosecuting someone for getting shot has got to be the most idiotic waste of money and time. But if Alabama is such a wealthy state that they can afford frivolous prosecutions--let them look ridiculous.

Last week some SC 2 year-old took a gun out of granny's purse and shot himself and died. Shouldn't Granny be prosecuted? Definitely her fault.
https://people.com/crime/2-year-old-...mothers-purse/

if the legal system in her county decides based upon any investigation that she should, I sure hope they do. I'm pretty sure there are laws in many states about unsecured guns and small children.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
My reading comprehension is fine. If you think she should be charged with manslaughter, then you think she reasonably expected that in confronting the woman she thought was stealing her boyfriend, that she thought the "foreseeable outcome" of that confrontation was the death of her unborn child. You are saying that it was something that she should have expected as a result of getting into a fight with another woman.
maybe the "forseeable outcome" came when she fled the scene to go to a convenience store, rather than seek medical care.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:37 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
my complaint is that it is common, very common, for those in the exact situation to be charged with assault/murder for pulling a gun and shooting their aggressor. You can deny all you want but the links clearly show and address the occurrence of women going to jail for killing their abusers and the links I provided were situations where they were in imminent danger.
Its not a matter of sometimes should or should not be charged. I would us cases of parents leaving their children in hot cars to die for that.
You just refuse to see the bias in this case. It goes directly opposite of normal proceedings because the woman was pregnant and the shot killed the fetus instead of her.
Tbch I think the tipping points here are that the death was of a fetus, at a time when abortion debate is very strong again and states are enacting radical laws and protect even very non-viable fetuses, and that the woman is black. Yes, I do think race plays a role. I am not so sure this would be happening if she were white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
There are 39 states that have laws on the books detailing what is, and what is punishable, regarded fetal death via manslaughter or murder. This site spells out the laws in those states. It is not an Alabama or a southern thing.

It is not unheard of for a woman to be charged in the death of her child if that death was not natural or via abortion.
No its actually extremely rare for those laws to be used against the pregnant woman herself. It's far more common to charge someone with feticide who actually caused the death, like the shooter here. Prosecutorial discretion and common sense tends to stop prosecutors from using feticide laws in any situation other than when a pregnant woman is attacked and is so badly injured her baby dies, because charging pregnant women for their own conduct will open a can of worms, as has been discussed a lot here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies