Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 10:50 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
All other information aside, the federal govt provides pregnant women with insurance and supplemental nutrition plans through Medicaid and WIC. Medicaid covers pregnant women who are uninsured or underinsured using federal income guidelines that are higher than standard Medicaid. She could have called an ambulance and been transported to the hospital where she would have received emergency medical care as it is against federal law to deny a person lifesaving care in the event of an emergency regardless of their insurance status or ability to pay. And after receiving treatment she could have been signed up for emergency Medicaid on the spot at the hospital. The hospital would have called the police due to their duty to report at which time she could have filed a criminal complaint that the woman shot at her stomach and injured (or killed) her unborn child and she would have been safe in the hospital and most likely not criminally charged as she attempted to save her child
Most of us didn't know that, how's she supposed
to know that? And who is thinking clearly after they've just been shot?

And the idiot who shot her, shot her FIVE times. And after the idiot was safely in a truck. Went back with a gun and intentionally shot her.

The shooter should be in jail. But this is Alabama so Stupidity rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 11:09 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,246,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Most of us didn't know that, how's she supposed
to know that? And who is thinking clearly after they've just been shot?

And the idiot who shot her, shot her FIVE times. And after the idiot was safely in a truck. Went back with a gun and intentionally shot her.

The shooter should be in jail. But this is Alabama so Stupidity rules.
Unless the shooter can prove she felt her life in danger, she should absolutely be charged. But a pregnant woman, a unpregnant woman, a child, a man EVERYONE knows that if someone shoots you you call an ambulance. YOU call an ambulance. You don't have to know any of the things I said to you the common sense to call an ambulance. In an emergency you call an ambulance. Its so deeply engrained in the collective psyche that people call ambulances when they see animals hurt because they don't know what else to do and that's all they can think of. So why didn't she????

Old 06-28-2019, 11:17 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,458,081 times
Quote:
This is not an abortion issue. She was 5 months pregnant which seems as though she intended to keep the child. She intentionally put her unborn child in harms way. She gets in trouble for that. If someone else had put her unborn child in harms way and it died people would be calling for their punishment so why doesn't that apply to her?
Different standards apply when it comes to endangering yourself (including fetus) vs. endangering others. At least according to law, the responsibilities of a pregnant woman are hers to bear alone, and the government has no right to dictate what she should and shouldn't be doing to ensure a safe delivery. If she chooses to drink alcohol, do drugs, smoke, then all of that will harm the baby, but notice that it is not illegal to do such things in the US (though I acknowledge that many people think it should be). https://www.parents.com/pregnancy/my...ing-pregnancy/

Quote:
And every single person who lives their poor child in the car to be boiled alive slowly by every rising temperature deserves punishment too. Who cares if there is stigma. Too bad so sad, they caused their child agonizing horrific pain until they died because they couldn't remember them in the backseat. Noone should get away with that. If you forget your kid is home and leave for work in the morning and your baby dies you get charged with at least neglect and endangerment. Letting people get away with forgetting their children makes it a convenient excuse. our job is to protect our children. NOT forget them. If its not deliberate its careless.
You sound like someone who has lost touch with reality to a great extent, expecting people to be perfect beings in reference to their children. Unfortunately this is not the case and real people have a lot of stress in the real world. Among tens of millions of people, accidents are statistically going to happen whether you punish the parents or not. I would suggest for you to reflect on your own empathy and your own perception of reality.

Last edited by Shalop; 06-28-2019 at 11:53 AM..

Old 06-28-2019, 11:42 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Unless the shooter can prove she felt her life in danger, she should absolutely be charged. But a pregnant woman, a unpregnant woman, a child, a man EVERYONE knows that if someone shoots you you call an ambulance. YOU call an ambulance. You don't have to know any of the things I said to you the common sense to call an ambulance. In an emergency you call an ambulance. Its so deeply engrained in the collective psyche that people call ambulances when they see animals hurt because they don't know what else to do and that's all they can think of. So why didn't she????
The initial article I read said she called the police. Perhaps she assumed the police would call an ambulance. I also read in another article that someone picked her up and drove her, apparently to the location in the next town where the police and ambulance found them. Reports are pretty sketchy so who knows exactly how things happened.

Quote:
The shooting happened just before noon, according to Lt. Danny Reid with the Pleasant Grove Police Department. Reid said police received a call from a woman who had been shot.

“Said she had been shot in Pleasant Grove. Some witnesses told us that the shooter had left the scene and went to her place of employment.
https://www.cbs42.com/news/crime/wom...s-unborn-baby/

Old 06-28-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
The initial article I read said she called the police. Perhaps she assumed the police would call an ambulance. I also read in another article that someone picked her up and drove her, apparently to the location in the next town where the police and ambulance found them. Reports are pretty sketchy so who knows exactly how things happened.

https://www.cbs42.com/news/crime/wom...s-unborn-baby/
That's why I said earlier (you may not have seen) that I will withhold that judgment until all details are out because it is sketchy at this point. A lot of conflicting info. But an article I read said the ambulance showed up to be told she was in a convenience store in the next town.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
The responsibilities of a pregnant woman are hers to bear alone, and the government has no right to dictate what she should and shouldn't be doing to ensure a safe delivery. If she chooses to drink alcohol, do drugs, smoke, then all of that will harm the baby, but notice that it is not illegal to do such things in the US. This is because we as a society trust the judgement of people to act in their own best interests, and anything less would be a restriction of basic freedoms. https://www.parents.com/pregnancy/my...ing-pregnancy/

You sound like someone who has lost touch with reality to a great extent, expecting people to be perfect beings in reference to their children. Unfortunately this is not the case and real people have a lot of stress in the real world. Among tens of millions of people, accidents are statistically going to happen whether you punish the parents or not. I would suggest for you to reflect on your own empathy and your own perception of reality.
I do not expect perfection. I have children and I make mistakes. And it would be crazy to be charged with a crime everytime I screwed up, because I have a lot. But when your screwup is so monumental that your child died due to your inability to remember you had a helpless child strapped into a carseat in the back of your car you should have some sort of repercussion. Guess what? Sometimes you get charged with a crime even when you didn't mean to commit one. Ooops. If you've every gotten into your hot car in the summer and burned yourself on the buckle and couldn't breath it was so hot and you rushed to get the window down so you could get some air, you should have nothing but sympathy for the poor child who didn't get a choice. Whose mom or dad put them in their carseat in the morning, strapped them in, maybe kissed their little forehead then completely forgot about them the moment they couldn't see them. And the child boiled alive. Watch a video read an article about what a child truly goes through in the last hour of life trapped in a car and still say its no biggie, just a child died, it was an accident.

Old 06-28-2019, 12:20 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Oh ffs. She got shot in the stomach and is being prosecuted for not going to the hospital. That's nuts.

First of all, self defense? She was five months pregnant. Can't see where she was much of a threat. I'm not seeing where she assaulted the shooter - was there a true physical threat? She started a fight with her baby daddy's sidepiece. Hi pregnancy hormones. Turn and walk away.

Second of all, she's being charged for fleeing and not seeking medical treatment according to some people here. Because rational is what happens when you've been shot. Sorry, but no. I fell very badly once and was bleeding and had broken a bone. I walked half a mile to my house and was on the computer chatting with a friend on facebook when I told her what happened. She informed me I was in shock and I needed to go to the ER to get checked out. I was in a ton of pain, but it never occurred to me to go to the hospital. You know, because I was in shock.

Alabama is insane. If a fetus can't survive outside the womb without extreme medical intervention, the only humanity it deserves is what the woman carrying it chooses to bestow upon it. Clinically speaking, until that point, it's a parasite, and a potential threat to her health. I've known too many women with life-threatening complications from pregnancy. Sorry - that's just the truth.

By this standard, anyone who gets into a car accident that's their fault while pregnant could be prosecuted for murder. As could any pregnant woman who opts to climb a ladder and falls off it.

Old 06-28-2019, 12:45 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
This story has a LOT of detail as to what happened. Apparently Jones (the pregnant woman) was very jealous and believed the father was "talking" to his fellow employee at work, Jemison. So Jones and some friends went after Jemison, who shot at the ground to disperse the group attack. She didn't realize until much later that the stray bullet had actually hit Jones. It doesn't appear she's in any sort of relationship at all with Jones' boyfriend.

Then, after the shot hit the ground, and bounced and struck Jones, she got in her truck and drove off injured.

According to the article, anyway.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...-jones-jemison

Last edited by ClaraC; 06-28-2019 at 01:27 PM..

Old 06-28-2019, 04:24 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This story has a LOT of detail as to what happened. Apparently Jones (the pregnant woman) was very jealous and believed the father was "talking" to his fellow employee at work, Jemison. So Jones and some friends went after Jemison, who shot at the ground to disperse the group attack. She didn't realize until much later that the stray bullet had actually hit Jones. It doesn't appear she's in any sort of relationship at all with Jones' boyfriend.

Then, after the shot hit the ground, and bounced and struck Jones, she got in her truck and drove off injured.

According to the article, anyway.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...-jones-jemison

It seems an awful lot of media outlets omitted an awful lot of details. Purposely?

Old 06-28-2019, 04:28 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNChicago View Post

No need to re-post my response.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...d-alabama.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies