Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you agree with me?
I'm Female and I agree! 6 14.29%
I'm Female and I kind of agree, but will still have a diamond. 2 4.76%
I'm Female and I think you are nuts! :-) 13 30.95%
I'm Male and I agree! 11 26.19%
I'm Male and I kind of agree, but will buy them if my lady wants them. 5 11.90%
I'm Male and I think you are nuts! :-) 5 11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 06:42 AM

1,758 posts, read 760,616 times

Advertisements

I will never own a diamond nor give one as a gift. I am still young and years away from marriage, but I'd prefer a simple smooth classic gold ring like people use to wear before diamonds were propagandized all over. Or maybe a white gold one with the silver look.

Please note, I am not saying you are a bad person if you own diamonds or buy more diamonds.

Why I am personally not going to own a diamond.

(1) BLOOD...... They are mined unethically with child labor, war, and human rights' abuses.

https://diamondfoundry.com/blogs/the...nd-child-labor

(2) ANTI-CAPITALISM......... Diamonds are not even rare. It is an anti-capitalist system set to prevent competition and keep prices high. Capitalism requires competition per Adam Smith and the diamond trade is set up in opposition to our very system to rip off you the consumer. Scientists estimate that there are a quadrillion tons of diamonds in the earth.

https://diamondfoundry.com/blogs/the...iamonds-rare-1

(3) BAD FINANCES and PRIORITIES...... People say to spend 3 months salary on a diamond engagement ring. 3 months salary on a stinking ring? Depending on how much the guy makes that could be close to a downpayment on a home. That 3 months salary diamond ring would mess up your soon to be husband's finances and by contrast yours as you marry him. Add this ring to the wedding and honeymoon costs and you could start your adult life in a massive financial hole.

It is better to lead a life of simplicity than wasting money on extravagant unnecessary things. Can you imagine what that 3 months could grow to from age 20 to 60 had you dumped it into a good investment?

So, let me repeat, good people will and can disagree with me. But does anyone agree with me? I'll tell my future husband to keep it simple...and classic and keep the money in his wallet. Don't even have a boyfriend at the moment and just starting college so no...rush on the man thing...

Am I allowed to vote in my own poll or does that taint it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 07:12 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,367,438 times
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...iamond/304575/

These outrageous truths were revealed decades ago. Why does this practice still exist?

The atlantic continued to report on this.

How an Ad Campaign Invented the Diamond Engagement Ring - The Atlantic
https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...t-ring/385376/

Love how the diamond is forever meme was created to get older divorced women to never try to sell their diamonds.

Old 06-28-2019, 07:14 AM

17,020 posts, read 12,617,549 times
Depends very much on the woman. Im old. I have seen both extremes.

The old 3 months salary thing is silly. A guy making 25K should buy a 6K ring and a 100K guy should buy a 25K ring.

The two largest diamonds I have seen worn IRL were like 25 or 30 year anniversary gifts, not engagements. Both cases were two older people who were simply comfortable with each other and their marriage.

Old 06-28-2019, 07:16 AM

9,380 posts, read 6,996,591 times
You can buy a gem produced in a laboratory that is molecularly the same as those mined out of the earth by children.

You can get the lab diamonds for $0.50 on the $1 and in some cases for cheaper as you go up in size not such much in clarity/color.

Old 06-28-2019, 07:31 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,367,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
I will never own a diamond nor give one as a gift. I am still young and years away from marriage, but I'd prefer a simple smooth classic gold ring like people use to wear before diamonds were propagandized all over. Or maybe a white gold one with the silver look.

Please note, I am not saying you are a bad person if you own diamonds or buy more diamonds.

Why I am personally not going to own a diamond.

(1) BLOOD...... They are mined unethically with child labor, war, and human rights' abuses.

https://diamondfoundry.com/blogs/the...nd-child-labor

(2) ANTI-CAPITALISM......... Diamonds are not even rare. It is an anti-capitalist system set to prevent competition and keep prices high. Capitalism requires competition per Adam Smith and the diamond trade is set up in opposition to our very system to rip off you the consumer. Scientists estimate that there are a quadrillion tons of diamonds in the earth.

https://diamondfoundry.com/blogs/the...iamonds-rare-1

(3) BAD FINANCES and PRIORITIES...... People say to spend 3 months salary on a diamond engagement ring. 3 months salary on a stinking ring? Depending on how much the guy makes that could be close to a downpayment on a home. That 3 months salary diamond ring would mess up your soon to be husband's finances and by contrast yours as you marry him. Add this ring to the wedding and honeymoon costs and you could start your adult life in a massive financial hole.

It is better to lead a life of simplicity than wasting money on extravagant unnecessary things. Can you imagine what that 3 months could grow to from age 20 to 60 had you dumped it into a good investment?

So, let me repeat, good people will and can disagree with me. But does anyone agree with me? I'll tell my future husband to keep it simple...and classic and keep the money in his wallet. Don't even have a boyfriend at the moment and just starting college so no...rush on the man thing...

Am I allowed to vote in my own poll or does that taint it?
No rush on the man thing... that should never be the point. Women that hold off till a certain point then like at 35 or so say "okay its time to have a baby and find a man" seem peculiar as hell to me and end up with really weird mates.
You dont need to look for one but real love will not be on a timetable. Its so f***ing rare it would be tragic to be preoccupied with career or education and let it slip by.
And this may be sexist or superficial but mother nature for some reason blesses virtually all females for a brief time with an aura of attractiveness starting around age 17 and for even homely girls they seem desirable for at least a few years. Most married couples look at their spouses well into their older years the way they met them.
I dont think a couple who meet in their 30s will see their fire ever burn as intense and live the memory as those who met younger.

Just food for thought.

Old 06-28-2019, 07:43 AM

2,419 posts, read 2,994,102 times
I agree with you completely, but my engagement ring is almost 30 years old and I didn't know about diamonds back then. A plain gold band is nice for a wedding band, but there are plenty of other pretty stones and designs for an engagement ring. If you meet the right man, let him know how you feel and maybe he will give you a ring that is more meaningful to you. While you could get a diamond made in a lab, no one would know and it would just perpetuate the whole must-have-a-diamond scam.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:13 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,840,049 times
I always thought people who love lots of jewelry seem like bird brains to me. Ooo shiny me want so shiny!

Yea but it doesn't DO anything. You could get a car/computer/you name it for the same price half the time and it would actually DO something.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:18 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,823,805 times
You left out an option: I don’t care what other people do (or don’t do) with their money and it’s not my business.

That gets my vote.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:35 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,699,758 times
There are old diamonds floating around everywhere (grandma leaves when she passes, etc.) - I think these are mostly the "best" diamonds and the only we would consider doing anything with.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:43 AM

33,568 posts, read 37,182,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
You can buy a gem produced in a laboratory that is molecularly the same as those mined out of the earth by children.

You can get the lab diamonds for $0.50 on the $1 and in some cases for cheaper as you go up in size not such much in clarity/color.
Or buy Canadian diamonds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies