Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 06:08 AM

58,936 posts, read 27,247,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2019/6/...nt-racial-slur
CPD officer Jack Axium, who slurred President Obama received no disciplinary action, and will retire at age 52 with a $72,526-a-year pension.

This kind of thing is part and parcel of public sector unionism, which strips accountability for members, whether cops or teachers. Public sector unions are a kind of kickback scheme. Contracts are negotiated between the union and the representatives of politicos, whom the union probably helped elect.

This is how we end up with cops like Sgt. Axium, and teachers caught sexting w/ students who go on 'paid administrative leave,' which is really just a euphemism for 'paid vacation.' I've read numerous private sector union contracts in a job I used to have. I've never seen a private sector CBA that even had such a thing as 'paid administrative leave.' Such contracts are negotiated between company mgmt. and the union, who have opposing interests and must meet somewhere in the middle.

With public sector union contract negotiations, the two parties are often on the same side, and the taxpayer who gets to pay for it all is never in the room.
" Chicago police officer who called President Obama "some [N-word]""

Glad to see you admit to being AGAINST FREE speech!

The colored community uses the N word ALL the time. Can't have it both ways!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 06:26 AM

78,281 posts, read 60,492,074 times
A pension is a legal contract, you cannot void a legal contract because you do not like the other person or if they say something you find offensive. (Unless those clauses were in the contract)

I think if you are the kind of person that wants to throw out rule of law and destroy somebody because you disagreed with their speech to be arguably as bad as Officer N-word.

Certainly can suspend the guy, that is something legal and not fascist.

Old 07-01-2019, 06:31 AM

30,123 posts, read 11,749,147 times
Who cares what this cop said about Obama? Same thing if he said something stupid about Trump or Abe Lincoln. What does this have to do with his job performance?

It seems to me you think someones finances should be ruined simply for a word they said. To me this has nothing to do with unions, public or private. If slurring the POTUS was grounds for losing ones job most liberals would be out of work.

Old 07-01-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
Having an open racist, roaming the streets in Chicago with a badge... well... I guess he somehow treated everybody equal under the law.

Every black person thats been arrested by him, should seek to be set free..then sue the city. He most likely planted evidence on them.
In Chicago, the cop could have instead emptied an entire clip into an unarmed black man and his fellow cops would have helped cover for him. The city would also try to help cover it up with millions in payoffs.

Then, if they got caught lying about what happened and making payoffs nobody would get in trouble except for the original officer whom remained on the force for 2 years after the event.

^^^This is reality, now contrast that with your "oh, he said an N-word" and then surmising how people could seek justice and get all this impact. It's hilariously naïve.

Hey wait, maybe you could vote for....oh wait, you can't do that either. You have all the political diversity of Beijing.

Old 07-01-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Who cares what this cop said about Obama? Same thing if he said something stupid about Trump or Abe Lincoln. What does this have to do with his job performance?

It seems to me you think someones finances should be ruined simply for a word they said. To me this has nothing to do with unions, public or private. If slurring the POTUS was grounds for losing ones job most liberals would be out of work.
Officer of the court.
Raises questions about their motivations and impartiality in making an arrest.

Happy to help.

Old 07-01-2019, 06:59 AM

30,123 posts, read 11,749,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Officer of the court.
Raises questions about their motivations and impartiality in making an arrest.

Happy to help.
You did not help, nice try. The cop decided to retire. The discussion is whether or not he should receive his pension.

He was a cop for 25 years and the news story linked showed zero evidence of him being impartial on the job outside of commenting on a visiting POTUS. He offended one cop, big deal. However what he said was horrible I don't support it.

I was basing my opinion on the evidence presented not something hypothetical. Losing his pension after 25 years of service for one comment is not justified. Looking at your other comments it seems like you want this cop punished for whatever you feel the Chicago PD has been doing wrong in the past.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:40 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,058,542 times
Never, ever censor, punish, nor limit speech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2019/6/...nt-racial-slur
CPD officer Jack Axium, who slurred President Obama received no disciplinary action, and will retire at age 52 with a $72,526-a-year pension.

This kind of thing is part and parcel of public sector unionism, which strips accountability for members, whether cops or teachers. Public sector unions are a kind of kickback scheme. Contracts are negotiated between the union and the representatives of politicos, whom the union probably helped elect.

This is how we end up with cops like Sgt. Axium, and teachers caught sexting w/ students who go on 'paid administrative leave,' which is really just a euphemism for 'paid vacation.' I've read numerous private sector union contracts in a job I used to have. I've never seen a private sector CBA that even had such a thing as 'paid administrative leave.' Such contracts are negotiated between company mgmt. and the union, who have opposing interests and must meet somewhere in the middle.

With public sector union contract negotiations, the two parties are often on the same side, and the taxpayer who gets to pay for it all is never in the room.

Old 07-01-2019, 12:22 PM

14,215 posts, read 4,582,826 times
Imagine if your employer decided to take away your pension or 401k (on top of a suspension) after 25 years of service....after you called your employer a *****.

DOL is going to have a good day with that employer.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:10 PM

You wrote this.

Quote:
What does this have to do with his job performance?
I explained how it could.

Quote:
You did not help, nice try. .....The discussion is whether or not he should receive his pension.
You feeling ok? You might want to get that checked out.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:19 PM

Dude, maybe an optometrist along with that doctor....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
A pension is a legal contract, you cannot void a legal contract because you do not like the other person or if they say something you find offensive. (Unless those clauses were in the contract)

I think if you are the kind of person that wants to throw out rule of law and destroy somebody because you disagreed with their speech to be arguably as bad as Officer N-word.

Certainly can suspend the guy, that is something legal and not fascist.
I underlined my thoughts to help you out.

Quote:
Losing his pension after 25 years of service for one comment is not justified. Looking at your other comments it seems like you want this cop punished for whatever you feel the Chicago PD has been doing wrong in the past.
Maybe we could hash this out over a beer and a friendly game?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Box-of-Rocks/611132824
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies