Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2019, 07:07 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times

Advertisements

I stayed up and watched the whole thing. It was very exciting. I was in the hospital for a week when Nixon was the first president to visit China in 1972 and the broadcast news channels carried the whole thing. It was exciting then, too.

If you didn't watch the two leaders meet at the DMZ, and I'm assuming most were asleep, you missed all of the crowding, pushing and shoving by the photojournalists to get the outdoor shots. It was funny because when Kim Jong Un and President Trump stepped over the line (more like a curb) into North Korea only the North Korean photographers were allowed to follow them. So the American news media, who had to shoot from farther back, got their panties in a twist and started yelling at their North Korean counterparts to get out of the way because they were blocking their shots. Raise your hand if you think the North Korean photojournalists understood a single thing they were yelling at them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
Funny, I didn't see Trump handing over billions of dollars before, during or after this meeting.
Secretly, I might add.

Old 06-30-2019, 07:12 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,703,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
There's a reason for that.

I get that it's a standard Trump negotiating tactic but it's still really gross to watch him praise and glad-hand with despicable authoritarians so breezily.
I know what you mean. Yes, it is distasteful but it is part of the job. You don’t enter a business or political negotiation by publicly insulting your opponent from the start. What’s said in front of the cameras is for show. What counts is what’s said behind closed doors and hope the translators are skilled at cleaning up the political language. I’ve often wondered what major events in world history were greatly influenced by the careful translations at diplomatic meetings.

Old 06-30-2019, 07:15 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,512,925 times
We don’t achieve accord by behaving the same way that got us into conflict in the first place.

Trump in his own way is making a valiant attempt to bring peace between two warring countries. Listening to you sniveling naysayers find fault in his every attempt to do his job just reminds me that many people *don’t* want peace - domestically or internationally.

1,757 posts, read 757,630 times
I have severe problems with President Trump and in particular his behavior and lack of humility.

With that said, I am so happy that he is pursuing peace with North Korea. Give peace a chance!

This is a difficult position, because US policy for decades has been certain countries (North Korea and Iran) can't have nuclear weapons......while we and our friendly nations can.

It is important that we encourage this positive behavior out of President Trump for the sake of the world. In this modern age of mass destruction weapons our choice is between non-violence or non-existence.....

I know I will get neg-bombed for this post, but I would be a hypocrite as a Quaker who is a pacifist if I didn't cheer on Trump for taking at least another small step at normalizing relations with a country that we shun. The decades of silence and total exclusion have gotten us nowhere.....I get to vote for the first time ever in 2020....I'll be old enough finally!!!!!! I am NOT committing to voting for President Trump, but I am applauding him........"today."

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
That's why he did it.

Not because it will ever really mean anything or lead to anything but it will be a note on Trump's Presidency.
Well, it's not the same as laughing and taking selfies with your allies at a Memorial Service for Nelson Mandela, is it? I'll never forget the look of disgust on Michelle Obama's face.

Old 06-30-2019, 07:18 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,512,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
I have severe problems with President Trump and in particular his behavior and lack of humility.

With that said, I am so happy that he is pursuing peace with North Korea. Give peace a chance!

This is a difficult position, because US policy for decades has been certain countries (North Korea and Iran) can't have nuclear weapons......while we and our friendly nations can.

It is important that we encourage this positive behavior out of President Trump for the sake of the world. In this modern age of mass destruction weapons our choice is between non-violence or non-existence.....

I know I will get neg-bombed for this post, but I would be a hypocrite as a Quaker who is a pacifist if I didn't cheer on Trump for taking at least another small step at normalizing relations with a country that we shun. The decades of silence and total exclusion have gotten us nowhere.....I get to vote for the first time ever in 2020....I'll be old enough finally!!!!!! I am NOT committing to voting for President Trump, but I am applauding him........"today."
I cannot imagine who would negatively react to such a post. Well said.

Old 06-30-2019, 07:19 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I know what you mean. Yes, it is distasteful but it is part of the job. You don’t enter a business or political negotiation by publicly insulting your opponent from the start. What’s said in front of the cameras is for show. What counts is what’s said behind closed doors and hope the translators are skilled at cleaning up the political language. I’ve often wondered what major events in world history were greatly influenced by the careful translations at diplomatic meetings.
Trump: I bet you get to grab all the p***y you can handle.

Translator: I hope we can reach across our differences and be great friends.

Old 06-30-2019, 07:22 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
I cannot imagine who would negatively react to such a post. Well said.
I was raised in a Quaker (Friends) church and I get flak for my belief that we need to quit being so violent towards others.

You'll note I also said I had no problem here and I would hope that a president can engage all world leaders.

Old 06-30-2019, 07:24 AM

34,240 posts, read 18,599,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Trump: I bet you get to grab all the p***y you can handle.

Translator: I hope we can reach across our differences and be great friends.
So Trump made an off color comment twenty years ago when he thought it was just between him and another guy. Bill Clinton actually DID what Trump said while in OFFICE while IN the Oval Office, but I'm sure that is OK with you. It doesn't make what Trump said right, but it was just a comment, not an ACTION.

To bring that statement into the conversation about North Korea and the pursuit of world peace is even beneath YOU, and that is saying a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies