Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 01:12 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,230,680 times

Advertisements

This reminds me of all the right-wingers I came across who thought a liberal-arts degree is studying to be a liberal. LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

Quote:

Trump Criticized for Not Knowing What 'Western-Style Liberalism' Is When Asked About Putin's Comments

One question, posed by Peter Baker of the New York Times, referenced a recent interview Putin gave the Financial Times, in which the Russian president said the "liberal idea" has "outlived its purpose" and "become obsolete." Baker asked Trump if he agreed with Putin that "western-style liberalism" is obsolete and no longer relevant to today's world.

"I don't know what they're thinking, but he does see things that are happening in the United States that would probably preclude him from saying how wonderful it is," Trump responded. "I'm very embarrassed by what I see in some of our cities where the politicians are either afraid to do something about it or they think it's votes." Trump added that the federal government may need to intervene in cities that are being run by an "extraordinary group of liberal people" because you "don't want it to spread."

The president's response drew criticism from people on Twitter. They largely pointed out that the president seemed to confuse "liberal," as in the beliefs of the politically left in America, with "liberalism," the dominant ideology of western governments.
Quote:

Adam Serwer, a staff writer at The Atlantic, contrasted Trump's comment in response to Baker's question with his repeated claims that he's the smartest person in the room.
"Relatedly, one of the president's favorite taunts is claiming his vast intelligence dwarfs that of his critics," Serwer posted on Twitter.

Christine Pelosi, daughter of Democratic Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi and author of Campaign Boot Camp, wrote on Twitter that Trump either didn't know or didn't care that Putin was referencing countries within the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, not people who are liberal.
Related Stories

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 01:31 PM

21,096 posts, read 19,703,590 times
From what I’ve read of the Putin interview, Putin never said “western-style liberalism”; he said “liberalism” specifically in reference to illegal immigration.

Once again the New York Times is creating fake news.

Old 06-30-2019, 01:31 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,645,527 times
It would have been better if Trump would have addressed it as a mental health issue !!!

Old 06-30-2019, 01:44 PM

5,103 posts, read 2,048,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
This reminds me of all the right-wingers I came across who thought a liberal-arts degree is studying to be a liberal. LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!
I think Putin refer to the "Alinsky liberal" variety and not the classical liberal variety from Frederic Bastiat and Alexis DeToqueville.

Old 06-30-2019, 01:45 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,159,138 times
Honestly, I don't even think liberals agree on liberalism. They get stuck on how people should behave.

Old 06-30-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
From what I’ve read of the Putin interview, Putin never said “western-style liberalism”; he said “liberalism” specifically in reference to illegal immigration.

Once again the New York Times is creating fake news.

You may want to read the interview again.

Putin said directly, "What is happening in the West is...." Followed by his rant on liberalism. While he didn't specifically said "western-style liberalism", he first mentioned the West and then he gave his thoughts on their policy that he called liberalism.

Talk about trying to spread fake news. Putin very clearly was referring to liberalism that he said is happening in the West.

Old 06-30-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Honestly, I don't even think liberals agree on liberalism. They get stuck on how people should behave.
Yet, it's always conservatives who want to legislate how a person can use his/her body. Including in private.

Old 06-30-2019, 08:22 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,159,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Yet, it's always conservatives who want to legislate how a person can use his/her body. Including in private.

It's both. You find controlling people on both sides. Conservatives are not better than liberals and the other way around.

Old 07-01-2019, 07:00 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,285,556 times
Default Does Trump know basic political terms? Some people are saying, “No!”

https://twitter.com/secupp/status/1145677815142060033

Who here is surprised by this discovery?

Old 07-01-2019, 07:03 AM

59,017 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
https://twitter.com/secupp/status/1145677815142060033

Who here is surprised by this discovery?
Who cares?

One reason he was elected is because his is NOT a politician.

Would you rather have this when she was asked, "What ar your accomplishments as Sec of State?"

“My accomplishments as Secretary of State? Well, I'm glad you asked! My proudest accomplishment in which I take the most pride, mostly because of the opposition it faced early on, you know… the remnants of prior situations and mindsets that were too narrowly focused in a manner whereby they may have overlooked the bigger picture and we didn’t do that and I’m proud of that. Very proud. I would say that’s a major accomplishment.”

Hillary Clinton 11-March-2014

Could someone please tell me what she just said? And that’s the best she could come up with!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies