Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 12:08 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times

Advertisements

Time.

Change.

The only two constant variables in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 12:09 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Time.

Change.

The only two constant variables in life.
Time is not constant. Time is always changing.

Also, if something is constant, it is not variable.

Old 07-01-2019, 03:00 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
This. Look at all of the new, extravagant facilities, full of administrators knocking down $200k salaries.

The whole thing is nothing but a disgusting money grab. Pure evil.

They should pass a law capping the salary at $150k for anyone employed at a public university and put a 10 year moratorium on building any new structures.
OK now why would anyone especially business school or engineering professors want to take a job that is capped at $150k and likely is far below that, about $70k tops due to all the rungs above it? I get some are done in the workplace for whatever reason, some part time, etc. but I don't see putting a salary cap as a good thing unless you want to end college. I can agree that admin costs should be reigned in quite a bit. Let's face it, the presidents don't need anything more than $250k and dreams should be about $175k, but that's neither here nor there.

As for the new facilities, and not building any for ten years are you serious? I went to college in 2010-12, you can't tell me that we shouldn't build anything for ten years. Some residence halls and lecture halls are entirely out of date. Now you can say that the schools are putting money for building into new and not fixing the old, but I think the issue with building these new buildings is off.

Many thing the new amenities to these halls in particular residence halls are waste and I can agree that they are too much. However, these are created to help bring students in as a marketing tool, and perceptions on what the students need. They haven't even truly asked the students what they want in a hall.

Old 07-01-2019, 03:15 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I started to go in the 70's with only a part time job but it was a CC that charged $7 a unit. And I lived with my parents.

I also could have taken a class or two at a 4 yr university while working full time and living in an apartment with a roommate.

So yes, in a way it COULD be done...

Old 07-01-2019, 03:29 AM

464 posts, read 286,574 times
"Expensive" is a relative term.

35 years of wage stagnation has "consequences."

Housing, health costs, food, education, everything has went up except for the wages to pay for them.

Thx

Old 07-01-2019, 03:39 AM

12,031 posts, read 6,561,999 times
Democrats have been in control of our education system and not only have the costs skyrocketed for colleges, but we’ve dropped way down in K-12 education quality.
I believe we test internationally down there with Kazakhstan......

Education has become Big Government — the democrats dream.

Old 07-01-2019, 03:49 AM

1,112 posts, read 883,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Hmm, the premise is bull****. I was one of those 1970s minimum wage workers going to a state school and I couldn't cover the cost working full time.

Minimum wage in 1973 was $1.60/hour, tuition and fees was $3700. Do the math.
I went to the community college during that time. $17 credit hour. Took 12 hours max per semester. Took 6 years to earn my Associates Degree. I paid out of my pocket working 40 hours. My parents did not have the money to help either. I did delay going to school for one year after high school because I needed a car. They call it a “gap” year these days. I eventually I earned my BS.....graduated from a private University.....my employer at the time covered 50% of the tuition. Took me another 6 years to complete my degree. It seems so long ago now.....but I got it done! No regrets. Books etc were NOT covered...I paid out of pocket. I commuted..... eventually I moved out of my parents house and shared an apartment with two friends.....I had roommates until I was 29.

Old 07-01-2019, 04:33 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae Maes Garden View Post
I went to the community college during that time. $17 credit hour. Took 12 hours max per semester. Took 6 years to earn my Associates Degree. I paid out of my pocket working 40 hours. My parents did not have the money to help either. I did delay going to school for one year after high school because I needed a car. They call it a “gap” year these days. I eventually I earned my BS.....graduated from a private University.....my employer at the time covered 50% of the tuition. Took me another 6 years to complete my degree. It seems so long ago now.....but I got it done! No regrets. Books etc were NOT covered...I paid out of pocket. I commuted..... eventually I moved out of my parents house and shared an apartment with two friends.....I had roommates until I was 29.
If it took you that long to get either degree you had damn few semesters where you had 12 credits.

Old 07-01-2019, 05:08 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
I didn't have parents to depend on for financing college in the early 1970s. Like many others of my age, I lacked a good plan and future career interests at age 18-19. In 1974, I enlisted in the Army for 4 years, and during that time I took some college classes and got technical experience with power systems. After military service, I attended Cal State University for almost no tuition cost. My GI bill checks covered all college fees & books with a little left in my pocket.

Old 07-01-2019, 05:34 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Which school are you looking at? A decent school like Harvard was over $4000.

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2...tuition-hikes/
Eh what?! If Harvard = only decent then Bugatti = only a bit pricey.

Harvard is several standard deviations above the norm in many ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
The linked article provides some data.

https://college-education.procon.org...ourceID=005532

I'd suggest that Harvard is slightly above "decent" and represents an exceptionally small slice of the total university population, even in the 1970's.
Beat me to it

I wonder how many dollars are wasted annually studying things at university that are at best marginal and more likely idiotic. IIRC that prof whose name I forget who got caught encouraging people to beat up on reporters taught a class on 50 shades of gray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies