Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 02:14 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
why did colleges get so expensive and who do you blame?
1. Lazy students
2. Rising pay for profs
3. Too easy to get loans
4. Reduced funding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 03:45 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Yes, No, I don't know.....but a thing or two.

When I got out of the service in the 90s and went back to school, first Dad (because I didn't have any "GI Bill") paid for it but after a year or so, I got a job that not only got me living money but also waive the fees. A year or two later, when my father ask me about my academics and money or why I wasn't asking for it anymore, I said, "I never really thought comfortable taking money from you."

"Well, that's understandable. You had been out on your own, independent, and to be asking your father again for money probably dented that independence.". That I was like that made my father proud....and something of an example to my brothers.

Hence, two things. First, from 1990 to 2010, I've earned 3 degrees, another undergrad and two masters, with zero debt.

Secondly, I find it interesting that for a side that makes so much out of the word "Pride" that it appears they don't have pride when it is applied to other things.

Old 07-02-2019, 09:21 AM

628 posts, read 663,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
why did colleges get so expensive and who do you blame?
Congratulations on being a boomer, OP. That’s the trick, that’s all it took. You did it! Now go enjoy your retirement community in Florida while the rest of us burn in the dumpster fire that is modern America.

Old 07-02-2019, 09:25 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Hmm, the premise is bull****. I was one of those 1970s minimum wage workers going to a state school and I couldn't cover the cost working full time.

Minimum wage in 1973 was $1.60/hour, tuition and fees was $3700. Do the math.

That wasn't a public college in 1973 for $3700, that's for sure!

Old 07-02-2019, 09:25 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Ah - you answered your own question!

Worker productivity (what you MAKE for others) has tripled. Wages have stayed the same. Yet some people - hopefully not you - keep pushing for low wages.

I have laid out many a time how I made the equiv. of $26 an hour in 1975 working in the low-wage area of rural TN as a site laborer. Today the same job pays 1/2 that much.

You tell us.....
lies

Old 07-02-2019, 09:33 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Because they did. There weren't the loan programs, the scholarships or a sliding scale for tuition.

You guys have been sold a false narrative about pretty much everything from "a minimum wage job would pay for college" when, except for very specific cases like California that had low to zero tuition, it wouldn't, to walking in off the street and getting a job with a pension when in reality most jobs had limited, if any, benefits (my first job with health insurance was typical for the time, you paid the provider the fee, you filed the paperwork and after three months you'd get a check for 80%. Routine office visits and procedures were not covered) while only 30% at the highest infiltration of jobs had pensions. Then there's the claim that a worker could retire from one of those good jobs after twenty years.

Yet some of you parrot and repeat the above falsities over and over.
Yes they sure do. I don't know a single person who relied on a MW job to live on their own. Not a single one. No less pay for college tuition too. As a matter of fact, I don't know anyone who stayed at a MW job past teenage years. Nowadays there is so much mental illness and laziness that grown adults can't and won't move past a MW job. It's sad.

Old 07-02-2019, 09:42 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
Many people are happy with dead end jobs. They find happiness somewhere else. Everybody doesn't want to be the boss.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:05 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
That wasn't a public college in 1973 for $3700, that's for sure!
Clarion State College, Clarion, PA. $1850/semester, tuition, room and board. Included various fees such as an Activity Fee and Student Union (not what some of you dumbasses will think but a community center like facility) Capital Fee but not books.

By the time I graduated it was just under $2500/semester. While PA had, and has, an extensive network of state colleges (well, they're called universities now) the level of state support has historically been below the levels of other states.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:14 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
What will we do when it cost half a million dollars for four years of college?

Old 07-02-2019, 11:30 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
anything to get them outta the house ...I don't want them laying around here. plus the kid down the street went, Billy's as smart as he is! If the kid wants to take out large loans he/she'll never be able to pay back, that's on them.

Concerned Parent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies