Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 09:06 AM

29,517 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

I don't necessarily think the service dog was the main issue. I think the couple are a bit of loose cannons, I mean, who implies they have a gun?

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/...231740633.html

Quote:
For someone who says he prefers cats over dogs, Nic Day spends a lot of time with canines.

Atlas, a 1-year-old Akita, is nearly always by Day’s side. A Marine Corps veteran, Day started experiencing symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder after multiple tours in Iraq.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 09:12 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Sounds like my sort of hotel -one that puts all guests ahead of some guests.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:13 AM

39,870 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
A service dog is trained to perform a function, or do a job, that his or her owner can’t perform on their own due to a physical, intellectual, or emotional disability. These dogs may, of course, provide emotional support and comfort, but they are specifically trained to provide assistance beyond soothing benefits.

A support dog is a companion animal (not necessarily a work animal) that provides therapeutic benefits to a person with a medically diagnosed disability. Support animals do not have to be trained for their role, but medical documentation is required in order to receive this designation.

Service dogs receive more legal protections than emotional support dogs and are allowed in just about any and every public space, whereas emotional support dogs do not enjoy the same widespread access.
https://www.rover.com/blog/differenc...d-service-dog/

The sad thing is so many people have fraudulently claimed their pets as "service dogs" to get around rules and laws concerning where pets can be. This has caused a big backlash against people that ACTUALLY need service or emotional support dogs.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:17 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
No mention of the wife’s disability that requires a service animal.

State laws regarding service vs support are variable.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:19 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
This is why we need to license these animals.

Said license should be free.

Im fine with a veteran having PTSD labeled as needing such an animal.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:31 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Another example of why the ADA regulations need to be changed so that service dog use can be better regulated. It needs to include microchipping, third party behavior/training evaluation, a letter of disability verification from an MD who has physically seen the person (just like handicap plate), and a license that includes pictures of the animal and the person. Like so many good things based of faith of honesty of the person using the service, abuse has become rampant.

As to this case, the wife more or less threatened violence. She said she was worried he might make a suicide attempt and he had a gun. No, the hotel should not have to continue letting him stay there. The police agreed with the hotel’s concern.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:32 AM

8,488 posts, read 6,891,592 times
Factoids. Both husband and wife had their dogs with them. It was determined that neither animal was a certified service dog. Husband carries a gun and gets upset very easily. If the husband is indeed suffering from PTSD is he under VA health care and if so couldn’t the VA provide him with an actual support animal and other treatment?

If you were a hotel manager responsible for among other things the safety of your guests would this set off alarms regarding possible danger to persons and property? Something does not seem right about this fact pattern. This individual seems like a ticking time bomb who apparently needs proper mental health care.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:37 AM

19,722 posts, read 10,124,301 times
If the husband is on meds for his PTSD, he should not have a gun.

Old 07-01-2019, 10:47 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
My fiance served three tours and he was a former MARSOC, he doesn't suffer from PTSD, nor does he carry a gun around. well, he's the kind of former Marine who can pass for a college professor. He still loves his military life and his weapons, but there is really no need for him to carry them around and we only have 2 guns at home. That's it. For a sharp shooter, you really don't need that many guns (well, unless you are a gun collector. )

This said, my heart goes out to this veteran who suffers from PTSD, it must be very difficult for his entire family.

I think carrying guns around is not helpful to him, he shouldn't be owning a gun in my humble opinion.

In term of the service dog, sigh, there are too many service dogs outside and who really knows what is a service dog, what is not. Maybe all service dogs should be licensed.

he might make a suicide attempt and he had a gun. Sorry to say, but he is no victim. He shouldn't be carrying a gun around, period. The wife should've known better instead of acting like an enabler. yikes.

Old 07-01-2019, 11:52 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
The American Disabilities Act indeed does need to revise its policies on service dogs so it could be harder to fraudulently use the "My dog is a service dog" card. At the same time, it would be difficult to do so in a manner that is neither too strict that acts as a hurdle towards those that legitimately need a service dog. Finally, an American Akita is a gorgeous dog but not for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies