Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 03:29 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I admit I don't follow a lot of media outlets. Mostly the outlets I follow are "black" media and in black media this is a black problem. Often it seems that white liberals try to advocate for black people and often it comes out very wrong and the general population starts to believe the portrayals of black people in media are true when they are not.

That said, I do know many black LGBTQ persons who state that there is a racism problem in the LGBTQ community and that often blacks are white washed out of LGBTQ history (this was a big topic in some black history groups I'm a member of online in regards to Stonewall - it comes up every year but media recently according to some members did a better job of portraying the involvement of black and brown LGBTQ persons in Stonewall and the LGBTQ rights movement). I personally have heard very racist things from white LGBTQ persons hurled at black friends. It was not a pretty exchange as it happened at a gathering at a friends house and it did not end well.

Not sure what this comment is even about. Why would anyone challenge a black person's "right" to their family. IMO there is no such thing as "white culture" just mainstream American culture in America. Black people do have a subculture, but we are a part of the mainstream as well. And there has never been any sort of challenge to black people succeeding by other black people. That is a media topic that is passed around a lot that is not true. I've never been castigated or spoken ill about for my educational achievement or financial success as a black person in America by black people. Not even when I grew up in "the ghetto." I got more flack for being smart (aka - acting white) from white adults than anyone else - not my friends/kids who were white I'd add since I was in the TAG program and all of us were smart. I got a lot of silliness thought from teachers.

Nearly all black people with any sense are "pro-black." I consider myself very pro-black and don't speak ill of other people of different ethnic backgrounds. The people you are speaking of are the hotep/ignorant types, not those of us who are pro-black." They actually don't like me since I'm "pro-black all black people" including LGBTQ gay people and all black people from everywhere who live in America. I also don't have much of any focus on white people and it irks me too when those types try to blame everything wrong with their lives on "white people" when usually they are just a screw up or some sort of drunk/drug addict playing internet academic (type of persons who rely solely on YouTube and memes for their lessons in history or who only read specific black Afrocentric authors - and not the good ones - there actually are some good authors who are considered Afrocentric).

System wont let me rep you. But I find the pro black, or I should say the pro whack to be hypocritical. These natural hair, back to Africa, black red and green wearing saying immigrants shouldn't be here, or always hating the white man. These types of pro blacks who say racist and xenophobic stuff really love white, Hispanics and Asians at the end of the day for sex, procreation and even marriage.

A pro black is not supposed to be for other races when it comes to love, or marriage or sex. A pro black is supposed to build his community, a pro black is not supposed to hate other races, but just not to deal with them. A pro black is supposed to critique his fellow people no matter who offensive, to appraised some commentary would or will be.

What you say about LBGTQ is kind of true according to SJW news outlet Vice. However people live different lives depending on class, religion, region, race and etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=safLwed9SSo&t=579s

Old 07-02-2019, 03:30 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
1) I'm not you in that regard. It does bother me when people look down on me for being Black.
food for thought: If "people look down on" you, you may be the reason for their perception, not your skin color.

Old 07-02-2019, 03:37 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
This is at least partially the fault of the black community in general. Why should Republicans make any significant effort to woo black voters when as a group they tend to vote Democratic regardless of who's running. This is one of the biggest mistakes the black community has made from a political power standpoint, Repubs don't care because they assume they'll never get the vote, Dems don't care because they'll assume they will automatically get the vote. So blacks get lip service and debate zingers from Dems pre election and nothing but token efforts post election and the cycle repeats every 4/2 years.

It would be interesting if one election cycle blacks voted en masse for the Republican to show the Dems that they will no longer be play thing for the Dems, that would be a significant statement and would pay off dividends long term despite any short term nose holding.
Well, there is a reason Black people are voting Democrat in large numbers. This goes back to the 1960s when Barry Goldwater said he wouldn't support the Civil Right Act and Voting Rights Act. And then as time went on, more Republicans started to appeal to those who were against things like busing and then the southern strategy. By the 80s, well, the whole "welfare queen" thing, Reagan's "states rights" speech in Mississippi, certain dog whistles. The Republican Party is to blame to an extent. You won't get many Black votes when you appeal to those who have resentment towards Blacks in a "dog whistle" kind of way.

Before Blacks can vote Republican for an election cycle, Blacks need to know they can trust Republicans as a whole. Democrats as of lately aren't doing that great. However, D vs R has become "which party hates us less". You don't appeal to those who resent Blacks and then wonder why Blacks aren't voting for you.

Old 07-02-2019, 03:40 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

Nearly all black people with any sense are "pro-black."
Nearly all people with a lick of sense are "pro whatever they are". It's simple self preservation. And being pro whatever you are is not necessarily being anti-anyone else. Most races/cultures/ethnicities/creeds understand this and it is accepted of them by others, with one glaring exception.

Old 07-02-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Well, there is a reason Black people are voting Democrat in large numbers. This goes back to the 1960s when Barry Goldwater said he wouldn't support the Civil Right Act and Voting Rights Act. And then as time went on, more Republicans started to appeal to those who were against things like busing and then the southern strategy. By the 80s, well, the whole "welfare queen" thing, Reagan's "states rights" speech in Mississippi, certain dog whistles. The Republican Party is to blame to an extent. You won't get many Black votes when you appeal to those who have resentment towards Blacks in a "dog whistle" kind of way.

Before Blacks can vote Republican for an election cycle, Blacks need to know they can trust Republicans as a whole. Democrats as of lately aren't doing that great. However, D vs R has become "which party hates us less". You don't appeal to those who resent Blacks and then wonder why Blacks aren't voting for you.
The best thing you can do is to be independent. The problem with the black American and the black American vote is your black dollars. In order to push an agenda. And agenda can not be pushed alone by free votes. It also has to be pushed via wallets and purses. This is where the black vote in America has failed regardless of party affiliation. The vote and the all mighty dollar goes hand in hand brother.

Old 07-02-2019, 03:42 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The best thing you can do is to be independent. The problem with the black American and the black American vote is your black dollars. In order to push an agenda. And agenda can not be pushed alone by free votes. It also has to be pushed via wallets and purses. This is where the black vote in America has failed regardless of party affiliation.
The best thing we can do is whatever the hell we want to do. If you’re not black, you’re in no position to dispense advice on our voting patterns and party affiliation.

So chill with the paternalism.

Old 07-02-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The best thing we can do is whatever the hell we want to do. If you’re not black, you’re in no position to dispense advice on our voting patterns and party affiliation.

So chill with the paternalism.
I'm mixed race black but not a black American. Was born here through immigrant parents. I guess you are right. I'm in no position to critique the position of the black American for whatever reason. I'm just trying to assist because I love black Americans. And care for black Americans. I just leave you guys at it with white supremacy. That's yalls problem. Not mines even though I dislike bigotry and racism.

Old 07-02-2019, 03:50 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,264,631 times
Quote:
I'm arguing that waiting for that "trust" moment is a strategic mistake as it may never come. One real strength of the community as a whole are the votes that it represents. Maybe it's time to realize that the Dems either honestly don't care, are completely incompetent, or have a vested interest in seeing that the black condition doesn't approve in any meaningful way and adopt a different strategy. I do get that it's a tough thing to sell, but it is something that can be done as a community, many/most other solutions involve being dependent on "outsiders", and therein lies the problem.

Old 07-02-2019, 04:09 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I'm mixed race black but not a black American. Was born here through immigrant parents. I guess you are right. I'm in no position to critique the position of the black American for whatever reason. I'm just trying to assist because I love black Americans. And care for black Americans. I just leave you guys at it with white supremacy. That's yalls problem. Not mines even though I dislike bigotry and racism.
We’ve dealt with it for this long without assistance.

Old 07-02-2019, 04:11 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,566,260 times
The media and our higher education system constantly tells me that only white people are racists. Is this not so? Have I been misinformed by the experts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies