Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 03:48 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
as people won't be shoehorned into only voting for candidates in their party.

I would suggest this is very bad idea. As one example one could vote for the opposing candidate that has less of chance against the candidate of your choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 06:10 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
In the general election you can vote for anyone you choose.

Why should Republicans select the Democrat candidate in the primary, and vice versa?
I'm an Independent, (R)'s nor (D)'s can switch.

Old 07-02-2019, 06:48 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,240,999 times
I despise how the primary system works...I think all the states should vote at the same time...why should a couple small insignificant states like Iowa or NH pick the party nominees? Make primary day one day...all states vote the same time and primaries should be closed...as a Democrat, I would not want a Republican voting in my primary to try and pick the weakest candidate for them to go against...If I was them I wouldn't want a Dem doing that to me.

Old 07-02-2019, 06:52 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Here we go again.......

The constitution includes nothing about primaries. Primaries are elections ran and paid for by the state and are designed as a tool to help parties choose who they want to put their time, money, and resources behind as their candidate in the general election of national offices, and in some states, state offices. If the parties want, they don’t have to participate in the primary system at all if the state insists on open primaries, all they have to do is pay for their own caucuses, this was settled by Idaho Republican Party v. Ysursa. If they don’t like the restrictions the state imposes on their candidates they can also opt out of the primaries by paying for a caucus, as Kentucky Republicans did for Rand Paul.

You have a constitutional right to vote in the general election, no one has a right to tell a political party who they MUST have as their candidate through a primary.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:18 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,526,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
In the general election you can vote for anyone you choose.
Not talking about the general, what does that have to do with anything?

Quote:
Why should Republicans select the Democrat candidate in the primary, and vice versa?
So I can vote my conscience. I don't give a rat's ugly backside about parties, and I've never registered for a party and never will. If I want to advance the Democrat candidate for Sheriff, and the Republican candidate for my state representative, I should be able to do so! The races have jack to do with each other, and since in Georgia, you pick your ballot when you get to the poll, you still have the "issue" of crossover voting (people voting for a bad candidate in the other party just to keep that party from being elected at all).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Here we go again.......

The constitution includes nothing about primaries. Primaries are elections ran and paid for by the state and are designed as a tool to help parties choose who they want to put their time, money, and resources behind as their candidate in the general election of national offices, and in some states, state offices. If the parties want, they don’t have to participate in the primary system at all if the state insists on open primaries, all they have to do is pay for their own caucuses, this was settled by Idaho Republican Party v. Ysursa. If they don’t like the restrictions the state imposes on their candidates they can also opt out of the primaries by paying for a caucus, as Kentucky Republicans did for Rand Paul.

You have a constitutional right to vote in the general election, no one has a right to tell a political party who they MUST have as their candidate through a primary.
Then why are state election boards, using state (and local government) resources involved? If the primaries are truly intra-party private elections, then they should be conducted privately!

Old 07-03-2019, 07:35 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I would suggest this is very bad idea. As one example one could vote for the opposing candidate that has less of chance against the candidate of your choice.
This is exactly what happens. The opposing party being the incumbent and unchallenged, allows them to go vote for the opposing person with the best chance their candidate will beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies