Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2019, 05:51 PM

8,381 posts, read 4,366,655 times

Advertisements

You have the prerogative to not hire anyone that you don't like for whatever reason. Don't like the surgeon that is about to give you a heart transplant because he has a tattoo of Kermit the Frog, find another surgeon.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:55 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
I think this thread really highlights the lows we have sunk to as a country. If a person wants to fly a flag in his truck, so be it. If a family wants to fire him, so be it. End of story.
Well that's how sane people see it.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:00 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,242,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
It's diversity in appearance not diversity in thought. All races and gender fluidishnessitivety welcome ... as long as they all think alike and stick to the talking points like good little parrots.
People should not be discriminated against. Ideas certainly can be. In this instance; treason, slavery, hatred, wanting to stick it to the federal gov't for granting rights to people you dislike, etc are what is enshrined in the Confederate battle flag.

There would be a slightly better case for "heritage" with one of the actual Confederate flags. But the battle flag of North Virginia that is used was resurrected solely for racist reasons.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:10 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
You are not wrong.

Those who scream intolerance because some people make assumptions based upon a hair style, or the clothes people wear, are quick to make assumptions about others.

Some people are proud of the Confederate flag not because the south had slaves, but because the south stood up to the Federal government. The war wasn't only about democrats who loved slavery. It was also about government over reach and bullying of states. To many the civil war is a David and Goliath story. The North won b ut the South absolutely pimp slapped the Northern Armies around. They won with less and often easily.

Thats what make some flag wavers proud. I think that they are idiots for waving the flag in today's climate, but respect their right to do so. It isn't always about race.
The South didn’t stand up to the federal government. In fact, the South had disproportionate power in our federal government in 1861. Wildly disproportionate power. And they’d used that power as a sledgehammer from the time this nation was founded in order to ram slavery down the throats of the rest of this nation. The rest of this country finally got tired of it.

Drunk on decades of beating defenseless people, tormenting them, raping them and arbitrarily selling off their family members, southerners had begun to overestimate how tough they were as a people and bit off more than they could chew. “We’ll whip the Yankees before dinner tonight!” Yeah...right.

There was no standing up to the federal government. There was only standing up for the cause of keeping slaves. Nothing more, nothing less.

And that flag is a stark reminder of that.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:18 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The South didn’t stand up to the federal government. In fact, the South had disproportionate power in our federal government in 1861. Wildly disproportionate power. And they’d used that power as a sledgehammer from the time this nation was founded in order to ram slavery down the throats of the rest of this nation. The rest of this country finally got tired of it.

Drunk on decades of beating defenseless people, tormenting them, raping them and arbitrarily selling off their family members, southerners had begun to overestimate how tough they were as a people and bit off more than they could chew. “We’ll whip the Yankees before dinner tonight!” Yeah...right.

There was no standing up to the federal government. There was only standing up for the cause of keeping slaves. Nothing more, nothing less.

And this is the reason I have no tolerance for the Confederate flag. The "they were standing up to the federal government" line is bull crap. The South was fighting to keep slavery. And the South wanted the rest of the country to protect its slave owning way of life. Those Confederates should have been tried for treason and executed summarily. That is what you do to traitors.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:25 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And this is the reason I have no tolerance for the Confederate flag. The "they were standing up to the federal government" line is bull crap. The South was fighting to keep slavery. And the South wanted the rest of the country to protect its slave owning way of life. Those Confederates should have been tried for treason and executed summarily. That is what you do to traitors.
The creation of this nation was accomplished with many compromises, with the biggie being slavery. The northern Founders tolerated it as a matter of union and they all essentially kicked the can down the road, with things erupting with the Civil War.

Personally, I would never fly a former flag of the Democrats, but in our system, if someone wants to fly one, more power to him. I don't have to like it and I don't have to hire him to redo my bathroom.

I do not see why a black family refusing to hire this man is an issue. He made his choice, and they made theirs. As long as no contractual obligations were violated, case closed.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:27 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
What person these days think it's ok to fly a Confederate flag on your vehicle as a contractor doing business? Especially to a black family's house?

But that's what free speech is all about, you can do what and face any consequences.

I do agree with the comments though, if it was a Pride flag and the guy was turned away, there would be 'outrage' over the 'homophobic' bigot.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/blac...194856544.html

Well...................... where I live they wouldn't get anything done. I think that nearly every pickup truck around here has a confederate flag.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:31 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

They did "whip the Yankees".

In the east, the Confederate forces were nearly unstoppable until Gettysburg. In the west, the Union was more successful, as their forces were populated by farm boys skilled in the use of firearms and riding horses.

Look at the relative casualty levels in the Civil War. The Confederates were better fighters than the Union soldiers and their officers were far better, but were overwhelmed by the industry of the north.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:32 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
What would happen if a man with a Jesus fish and cross on his car pulled up to a house with a pride flag and rainbow on the door?

Who has the right to say "I'm not working with you?"

Old 07-03-2019, 06:34 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
The creation of this nation was accomplished with many compromises, with the biggie being slavery. The northern Founders tolerated it as a matter of union and they all essentially kicked the can down the road, with things erupting with the Civil War.

Personally, I would never fly a former flag of the Democrats, but in our system, if someone wants to fly one, more power to him. I don't have to like it and I don't have to hire him to redo my bathroom.

I do not see why a black family refusing to hire this man is an issue. He made his choice, and they made theirs. As long as no contractual obligations were violated, case closed.
Enough with the whataboutism. Big difference between the principles behind founding America and the principles behind Confederate secession. This is about the Confederate flag, so let's leave it at that.

I find it ironic that you call it "the former flag of the Democrats", when most of the people flying it or defending it are Republicans.

This is why this turned into a big deal: The Confederate flag. That on its own brings up huge controversy, and for good reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies