Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2019, 10:34 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,596,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"What person these days think it's ok to....."

"You do not have the right to not be offended by the free speech of others....."

more images for black with the confederate flagReport images

Web results

Photos: They're black and they're proud of the Confederate flag

https://www.ajc.com/.../photos...black...confederate-flag/by06A6ywMrqi7mYP9A1jm...

Photos: They're black and they're proud of the Confederate flag. Footer Logo. Sign up for our newsletters Footer Round Button. About www.myajc.com Footer ...

"Images for black with the confederate flag
I bet you were super happy to find black people who fly and support that flag. Aww congratulations good job. I swear folks think because one black person or a small group of black people feels a certain way or says something, that non-blacks are validated with their racism. Every group has people with a few screws lose and you happened to find some with your search. With that being said, most black people do not support that flag and have no use for it. If they were to go around most groups of black folks with that flag, they would be clowned into oblivion. If I find out somebody is supporter of that flag, I choose not be associated with them. You and others in this group can find all the stuff you want, but at the end of the day we will not be convinced to no longer see that flag as offensive!!

Old 07-05-2019, 10:37 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I agree with this 100%

Not sure why this is a big deal. It is their money, they choose whom they want to give their money to. Why is this such a foreign concept to some folks here?
It is not a big deal. Everyone has a moral compass and is free to use it up to what level it is. If someone does not want to make a cake for a gay couple, that is on them. If someone does not want to take services from a person that drives a Confederate Civil War battle flag in back of a pick up truck, that is on them. As for me personally. I don't care about ones moral position just as long as they don't use it to threaten or harm life. Just get the services done and go.

As for the guy who drove in a car with the Confederate flag at the back of his car. The woman that recorded the video and shared through out Social Media is pretty stupid for doing that. Let me tell you why? I understand that their is a moral to the story which I agree with. However to share the story with Social Media, and the news is just going to open up a bag of bad worms for the woman. The man driving with the Confederate flag has probably now been defamed, will probably get Doxed by Moral Busy-Bodies. Also we don't know if the man that is driving the with the Confederate flag is a racist? We just don't know. We can assume that one is because of using emblems of racism, but technically he might or may not be. Because of such the man now has grounds to file a law suit against the woman. Which I think he should do. Not because the loss of service, but now for being defamed. In today's climate. People need to be careful on how you try to expose and defame people even though you are morally right to do so, you can also be in the wrong as well.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:45 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
It is not a big deal. Everyone has a moral compass and is free to use it up to what level it is. If someone does not want to make a cake for a gay couple, that is on them. If someone does not want to take services from a person that drives a Confederate Civil War battle flag in back of a pick up truck, that is on them. As for me personally. I don't care about ones moral position just as long as they don't use it to threaten or harm life. Just get the services done and go.

As for the guy who drove in a car with the Confederate flag at the back of his car. The woman that recorded the video and shared through out Social Media is pretty stupid for doing that. Let me tell you why? I understand that their is a moral to the story which I agree with. However to share the story with Social Media, and the news is just going to open up a bag of bad worms for the woman. The man driving with the Confederate flag has probably now been defamed, will probably get Doxed by Moral Busy-Bodies. Also we don't know if the man that is driving the with the Confederate flag is a racist? We just don't know. We can assume that one is because of using emblems of racism, but technically he might or may not be. Because of such the man now has grounds to file a law suit against the woman. Which I think he should do. Not because the loss of service, but now for being defamed. In today's climate. People need to be careful on how you try to expose and defame people even though you are morally right to do so, you can also be in the wrong as well.
That's true.

Need to be careful of what we say, do in public.

btw, I have to read your post twice because I enjoyed every word of it. well said and I agree 1000000%

Old 07-05-2019, 11:05 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
That's true.

Need to be careful of what we say, do in public.

btw, I have to read your post twice because I enjoyed every word of it. well said and I agree 1000000%
Thank You. After reading and watching videos on this topic and biased opinions on both sides. I can not support either groups. I'm all for free speech, but also rights for association and how we should spend our money with. That is the free market in a sense. With that said, the woman who denied paid services from the Confederate flag contractor. She too would have to be careful. She is most likely a homeowner, and generally homeowners have community boards like HOA in which certain images that are nuanced can ruin the fabric of the quality of life of the community. I can understand that it was best to sever services from the individual due to the flag. Such stuff like this wont sit well with other black folks in the neighborhood seeing a car parked at the end of the Cul De Sac with a Confederate flag in the back. Someone would have called the police, or the HOA, or community board would want to know why such homeowner is associating with a White Nationalist.

At the end of the day, while taking a panoramic look. The woman or the man are neither in the wrong here.

In todays America. If you have an emblem like BLM, or F-Trump, or rainbow pride. It is best to be employed in academia, publishing, media, journalism, lesser extent tech, and social media. In those professions it is ok to hold certain opinions about governments and people of privilege class like males and white people. And you know it, that's ok. In some spaces it not ok to have emblems of rainbow pride, or BLM, or F Trump logos, but as well as having confederate flags or swastika or Hammer and Sickle symbols either. In todays America people need to be careful how we use are symbols and words. And it is best to keep neutral opinions to ourselves.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 07-05-2019 at 11:14 AM..

Old 07-05-2019, 11:10 AM

130,230 posts, read 12,093,129 times
The contractor was an idiot. If you are in business, you have to appear neutral on most issues. No politics & no religion. The black family had every right to refuse his services.

Old 07-05-2019, 11:18 AM

46,948 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Because of such the man now has grounds to file a law suit against the woman. Which I think he should do.
For what reason, beyond the entertainment value? Reasonable expectation of privacy has some leeway of interpretation, but if you're flying a flag that size from your vehicle on public roads, you're not going to get away with arguing that you didn't want the world to see it.

Quote:
Not because the loss of service, but now for being defamed.
"Loss of service"? They declined to do use his services due to his own boneheaded actions. There would never be a lawsuit there.

Defamation? Let's look at the definition: "A defamatory statement is a false statement of fact that exposes a person to hatred, ridicule, or contempt, causes him to be shunned, or injures him in his business or trade."

Where's the false statement of fact? The fool showed off a controversial emblem to the world, quite deliberately. That's a fact. People may from opinions based on that, but opinions can't be defamatory.

There's no defamation here. He just thought he was in a safe space with an audience of good-ol-boys. That was his miscalculation.

Old 07-05-2019, 12:40 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
The contractor was an idiot. If you are in business, you have to appear neutral on most issues. No politics & no religion. The black family had every right to refuse his services.
Well, at the very least, flying the Confederate flag was sending a message. And in my experience, the kind of message sent hasn't been a nice one.

Old 07-05-2019, 12:55 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,101,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
This it is perhaps to keep a Confederate flag at home. One would think that common sense says not to use a Confederate flag in a setting where you will meet with a client.
True. I would consider this person to be short on judgement if he is showing up at a potential work site with any kind of symbol of any extremist view. The first rule of any service business is to not offend your client before you ever say a word. I thought the home owner was polite and appropriate. I hope I would have been able to meet that same standard.

Old 07-05-2019, 01:00 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Tons of businesses will drop unsubtle hints that they're run and/or owned by Christians. Generally, this means "Keep an eye on your wallet and read the invoice carefully."

Old 07-05-2019, 01:04 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,183,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Come on man. You’re REALLY gonna make the family out to be the bad guys here?

Not about good or bad. It's about the upper hand.

This family has made a choice but they do not have any control over what happens with the contractor's reputation. He could very well attract plenty of business since a good number of folks agree with him and his flag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies