Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 11:37 PM

264 posts, read 100,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Pride Flags dont argue for slavery. You are being intellectually dishonest when you pretend the 2 are the same.
This is quite mind boggling to me as well!

Flying a pride flag is in essence a promotion of a lifestyle that is diametrically opposed to nature.

Having more melanin in one's skin is a natural result of the human body's reaction to the climate/sun.

Two separate issues!

Old 07-03-2019, 04:04 AM

8,052 posts, read 12,772,027 times
I'm a white guy and would not do business with an idiot flying that flag on his truck. He is well within his rights to fly the flag but I would question his intellect as a businessman. If you are in business why would you go out of your way to alienate people?

Old 07-03-2019, 04:33 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,656,125 times
The contractor was not too bright. When on the job, your personal vehicle is a reflection of yourself and your work. As such you should not put social nor political messages on your work vehicle. Flags that can be exceptions include state and national flags. At my job site employees are not allowed to wear any political message items while on the clock. Our personal vehicles aren’t used as part of our work and so I often see social and political messages on their vehicles. This guy used his vehicle as part of his occupation and so should not have had this flag on his vehicle during his work.

Old 07-03-2019, 04:41 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,286,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
THat's the saddest part, is that people are judging a book by it's cover. The truck could have even been a loan from someone else for all we know. The guy could have been the nicest guy in the world. Or, if he was racist, the family could have shown compassion and love and make him realize that he is wrong for his racism, and maybe they could have made a new friend. But instead, they decide to jump on that "white man bad" bandwagon the first chance they get.
^Ridiculous.

First of all, a loan? Sure, Jan.

Let me guess: He didn’t see the enormous flag on the back of his loaner? No wait, he didn’t know what it represents?

Second, are you serious? It’s not their responsibility to teach—and befriend—an adult racist. The woman handled the situation perfectly. She respectfully taught him a valuable lesson he wouldn’t soon forget.

Old 07-03-2019, 04:55 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
i dont blame the home owner, that was just stupid, but if it was on the other side a black contractor with a flag, he would of sued and won, got the house and a couple million because it would be racist to denied a black contractor anything

Old 07-03-2019, 07:37 AM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Not sure Yahoo Lifestyles is considered national news......
Well, they sure aren't kcci 8 out of Des Moines, IA.....lol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahoo!_News#Ranking

Quote:
As of January 2019, Yahoo! News ranked sixth among global news sites, ahead of Fox News and behind CNN,
If you care to look more you'll see that when you start adding up their various pieces they are the largest of the .coms even bigger than msn.com

Now are you willing to face reality?

Old 07-03-2019, 07:39 AM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
It is not "offensive to blacks".

Like blacks are all the same.

Lots of blacks, probably most blacks, don't like it, but that is not the same as "offensive to blacks".
I believe that it's reasonably implied that the comment meant "in general".

Old 07-03-2019, 07:44 AM

50,265 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Well, I've seen plenty of black people that own boats have the flag either flying or as a paint on the side of a boat so I guess they all aren't so hip to be offended. This in N Carolina and Texas. They'll be pretty offended to find out they were supposed to be offended. Time to WOKE up?

Old 07-03-2019, 07:45 AM

2,180 posts, read 640,204 times
I don't see a problem. The black homeowner probably wouldn't have fired him for being white; but because his perception of the contractor's beliefs based on what he believes the confederate flag stands for.

Setting aside the US government's laws, discrimination is only morally wrong when done on the basis of something someone cannot help or change about themselves.

So that's things like race, ethnicity, sexuality, sex.

To me, everything else is up for grabs. Or should be. Including refusing to do business with people who adhere to religions which I find offensive and oppressive. Because that's a belief system and that is a choice. I think it's absurd, for example, that in the US gay people (who do not choose to be gay) are not afforded the protections of religious people (who DO choose). If anyoen should be kicked out of the "protected status" club, it's religion. That would certainly solve a lot of problems too.

Old 07-03-2019, 08:07 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
I wouldn't have hired him, either. Nothing to see here ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies