Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2019, 08:01 AM

17,789 posts, read 13,682,006 times

Advertisements

I wish she had just told the flabby armed old hag to wear longer sleaves.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 08:03 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,608,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
This is what's wrong with our society today, absolutely no respect.

Maybe the church leader could have been more tactful, but seriously, who wears an outfit like that to church? Show some darned respect for the church and wear something more appropriate!

https://www.kron4.com/news/national/...to-wear-shorts
As many Democrats have discovered, the truth can be offensive.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:30 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,441,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Again, we have a video that started in mid argument.

1. I'll reserve judgement until I can watch the video of what instigated this massive hysteria.

2. Why is this even a news story?
I agree that reserving judgment is the best thing and why is this news? This is between the church and these two ladies. The younger lady should not have posted the video. She should have taken it to her parents and other church leadership to get the other lady suspended. Videos like this (and social media in general) make people over react. So someone called this young lady fat. Guess what, she will have to deal with worse than that in the world. Not fair but the world is a cruel place sometimes. Who cares what the older lady thinks?

Old 07-03-2019, 10:32 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,441,732 times
And to all the people harping on this young lady for her outfit, give it a break. I do not think it is that bad. I expected worse when I saw it. Would God rather than his young lady be in church in what she wore or not at all? Quit being so judgemental.

Old 07-03-2019, 11:23 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,085,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
This is what's wrong with our society today, absolutely no respect.

Maybe the church leader could have been more tactful, but seriously, who wears an outfit like that to church? Show some darned respect for the church and wear something more appropriate!

https://www.kron4.com/news/national/...to-wear-shorts
By the way, the old lady never called her "FAT" - she did NOT use this word.

The girl put the words in her mouth by saying, "So you are saying you call me FAT?"

To which, the old lady replied, "Oh you don't think you are?" ROFL

By the way, she posted her pics on a public forum.
Attached Thumbnails
Church leader tells teen she’s ‘too fat’ to wear shorts-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by GoCardinals; 07-03-2019 at 11:31 AM..

Old 07-03-2019, 11:39 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,893,031 times
A couple of things for those who may not have read this entire thread: The younger woman was attending choir practice, NOT a church service. It appears other choir members were also very casually dressed.

She also posted that she was emotionally vulnerable when she was verbally acosted because a family member was hospitalized and critically ill. She also has a history of emotional instability. Both factors probably played into her extremely distressed response to harsh and unwarranted criticism of her attire.

While the younger woman's attire was not particularly flattering, it was not the business of the older woman to criticize her so harshly and self-righteously. It is individuals like this woman who give churches and Christianity a bad name. She was not Christ-like in any way. Instead, she was unkind, judgemental, holier than thou and mean-spirited to boot. If she has indeed been a "church leader", I hope the new pastor, who wrote a splendid letter to his congregation and the general public about this incident, will take a very close look at who gets involved in "leadership" at this church, and what happens as a result.

Old 07-03-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
A couple of things for those who may not have read this entire thread: The younger woman was attending choir practice, not a church service. It appears other choir members were also very casually dressed.

She also posted that she was emotionally vulnerable because a family member was hospitalized and critically ill. She also has a history of emotional instability. Both factors probably played into her extremely distressed response to harsh and unwarranted criticism of her attire.

While the younger woman's attire was not particularly flattering, it was not the business of the older woman to criticize her so harshly and self-righteously. It is individuals like this woman who give churches and Christianity a bad name. She was not Christ-like in any way. Instead, she was unkind, judgemental, holier than thou and mean-spirited to boot. If she has indeed been a "church leader", I hope the new pastor, who wrote a splendid letter to his congregation and the general public about this incident, will take a very close look at who gets involved in "leadership" at this church, and what happens as a result.
May be the girl can also consider changing her medications that may actually work?
It takes two to tango, no?

Old 07-03-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Again, I was forced to go to church while growing up. I always had to wear a nice dress to church. Never would I have been allowed to wear shorts, even if it was for something like a choir practice - not that I was part of a choir for church, but anything church related, no, we would never have been allowed to show up like that.

And my question, the entire time was: Do you really think God cares one bit what I'm wearing, or is God just happy that I'm showing up at all? And frankly, why do I have to even go to church to "worship" God? Shouldn't people who believe in God be doing that anywhere they are?

My mother told me we dressed up out of respect. Respect for who? The other church members? Shouldn't they be focusing more on the lesson of that day and not what someone is wearing? Who cares what they are wearing.

I still stand by that. I do think it's nice when people dress up for things simply because they look really nice - and you just can't go wrong when you look really nice, but, does anyone really think that a God is up there fuming because someone wore shorts?

Nonsense.

The girl should never have been confronted by some church lady. Church lady needs to go back to her Bible and read it again. It's not about her, it's not about her opinion, it's between that kid and her God, no one else. And then to call her fat...yeah, she is...but that church lady didn't need to open her pie hole to insult a teenager like that. They already have body image issues and self worth issues and are trying to figure out who they are. Insulting a teen like that is disgusting. Don't call yourself a church lady if that's how you act. Sit your butt down, zip your mouth shut, pick up that Bible and learn it this time.
Do you wear shorts while attending wedding ceremonies?

Old 07-03-2019, 12:20 PM

39,223 posts, read 27,589,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
A couple of things for those who may not have read this entire thread: The younger woman was attending choir practice, NOT a church service. It appears other choir members were also very casually dressed.

She also posted that she was emotionally vulnerable when she was verbally acosted because a family member was hospitalized and critically ill. She also has a history of emotional instability. Both factors probably played into her extremely distressed response to harsh and unwarranted criticism of her attire.

I agree with this 100%

Old 07-03-2019, 01:15 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,727,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Do you wear shorts while attending wedding ceremonies?
Wedding ceremonies are about 2 people. They may or may not be doing their vows before God, and we are not there for God, we are there for the people who are getting married.

Church is about YOU and God. No one else. It's NOT about the people, it's about your relationship with God (general "you" not you personally because I have no idea what you believe nor do I care).

Should there be a God, God has already seen me in my pajamas, in shorts, in pants, in dresses, in the shower. God does not care what you wear. The only ones caring are busy body people with nothing better to do apparently, like, read their Bible and pay attention to the sermon, and they don't matter. Christianity is not about appealing to the other people, it's about the relationship with said person and God. That's. It.

You can dress up and go to church every single Sunday, that doesn't make you a Christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies