Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 08:36 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
I was listening to a talk show host that basically said American culture sucked. Loved America but considered Hollywood, movies, music and the current the pop culture as nothing more than a cesspool influence on our society. Do you agree?
Ive thought it sucked since the 90’s, but with the advent of fake news and social media, Americans have gotten dumber, fatter, and more socially isolated. The problem with our culture is that people are selfish, greedy, and perpetually p’off that they are broke and struggling. Imagine if everyone had affordable health care? How much happier would this country be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 09:50 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
If we didn't have all the guns they wouldn't be killing each other, kids wouldn't be murdering their classmates, and crazies wouldn't be shooting up synagogues, etc.

But please, continue with your racism and partisanship.
Actually the real problem is America's culture of aggression, nasty behavior, tolerance of bullying behavior, selfishness, obsession with work to the detriment of home and family life, and lack of access to healthcare. Americans are some of the most stressed out people of any western nation and our crime problems are the logical result of that. I can't precisely pinpoint when things turned for the worse in this country but I suspect the 70's and 80's were the turning point with the embrace of blatant money worship and extreme levels of consumerism. We had far less problems with guns 50, 60, or more years ago when you could order a gun through the mail freely. Something else has changed to create the current problem and gun control would be nothing but an ineffective bandaid.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:53 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,791,886 times
Our economic and military dominance/influence of the world is definitely a good thing. Our cultural dominance I’m not so sure about. Hollywood, music industry, big tech push lot of degenerate crap.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:56 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Amazing to see conservative "Patriots" so thirsty for civil war and massacre of millions of Americans. Though these days, if a person isn't white, heterosexual, and the right kind of Christian they aren't even considered a 'real American' and we are well on our way to dehumanizing them. First step towards genocide is to dehumanize the other and then you have no qualms about killing them.
I see both sides politically doing that. Both parties have been hijacked by extremes and it leads to nothing good. I think there's a high probability of a civil war or something similar. But I sure don't want it. I was a history major in my undergrad days and spent plenty of time studying the Civil War and anyone who wants that to happen again is crazy. I don't think this time around there would be any way to achieve peace or stability afterwards either. We're not isolated in the world today. There would be massive foreign involvement if it happens. We also have nowhere near the same caliber of people in leadership roles. There's no Abraham Lincoln today nor a Robert E Lee willing to accept defeat and make peace.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:07 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
American pop culture sucks but TBH it's no worse and in many cases probably better than other countries' pop culture.

It's impossible to pin down a single "American culture" due to stark regional variances, but taken as a macro, no, I don't think it "sucks." I can think of places around the globe I've been to that have cultures that are higher or lower in average than US society but they are also generally smaller places and usually offset by other elements.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:29 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,159,880 times
I vote not good. I'll soon be in a position where I'll snowbird between the US and abroad. I can work anywhere in the world and I'm not chained to my desk.

People don't realize how bad it's become until you travel to a few different countries and see how others live. To summarize, the US is an extremely developed and wealthy nation but so many of our citizens are miserable.

In other countries, they are not nearly as wealthy but much happier. They have a sense of community and love for each other. There is a certain level of understanding, respect and acceptance that is LONG GONE in America. People don't seem to laugh and smile in the States anymore. We are a country without unity.

I sometimes scratch my head and wonder if we are one big petri dish. Are we being socially engineered to hate each other? It's nearly impossible to side step the hatred and division because it's EVERYWHERE.

The only way I know to escape it is to hop out of the petri dish and go elsewhere.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:39 AM

628 posts, read 662,792 times
True American culture is fine. The “popular” culture that the MSM pushes is just to promote degeneracy. But, I would argue that given those in charge of the MSM come from less than 2% of the population, they are not real Americans anyways. Certainly not in the traditional sense. They are more a group with an agenda.

Old 07-03-2019, 11:02 AM

27,548 posts, read 28,630,498 times
I think that the regional cultures in the United States are mostly pretty good. There is a healthy amount of diversity. If I had to pick one though, I like mid-western culture the best - the heartland of America.

The pop culture mostly caters to the lowest common denominator. So, that is not really representative of anything.

Old 07-03-2019, 11:17 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Perhaps we should use the word 'values' instead of 'culture.'
I agree the 'pop' culture really has descended into a hideous mish-mash of vulgarity, hate, intolerance, and ineffective discourse. Just watch some mainstream TV. I can't bear it.
I am so glad I didn't have children.
Is school shooting a part of "Culture" or "Values"?

Old 07-03-2019, 11:22 AM

39,075 posts, read 51,199,205 times
The world sure seems to love it. Rap is an international phenomenon. American movies pack theaters. There is not a city on this earth where you will not see American culture, sometimes with local modifications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies