Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 07:52 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times

Advertisements

This is the America I grew up in, when people respected each other and actually listened. Orson Wells on the Dick Cavett show speaking on life, his experiences and he actually met Hitler before WWII.

Fascinating story but what breaks my heart is what we have lost since this time. Imagine any of today's idiots trying to converse with this man? And the audience would understand very little of it between whooping and outbursts. Just listen the mans vocabulary, words that haven't been used in public for 30+ years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_PUUHLknDI

Old 07-03-2019, 07:54 AM

9,372 posts, read 6,973,951 times
I watch very little TV as I'm working hard to pay all my bills and support a family. When outside of work I'm actively engaged in raising that family. TV is a very minimal part of our lives.

Old 07-03-2019, 08:02 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
As a people I think we spent less time sitting on our arses watching Tv and being more social of course that’s a no brainer. These days most of Americans go to work come home and plop their fat arses down and watch shows like Jerry Stinger, etc. we’ve become more interested in other people’s lives then our own.
We also used to read more knowledge didn’t come so easy you had to work for it. With the internet everybody is an expert on everything. I doubt if we will ever gain back what we have lost.

We don't have cable we do have Netflix and that’s it don’t understand why people pay for 500 channels of nothing, mind numbing crap.
When the weather is nice and I’m not at work I’m off hiking or reading trying not to spend so much time on electronics. Admittedly it’s easy to do.

Old 07-03-2019, 08:08 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
I watch very little TV as I'm working hard to pay all my bills and support a family. When outside of work I'm actively engaged in raising that family. TV is a very minimal part of our lives.
TV was minimal for us back then as well. We read books, we got together with our friends and actually talked to each other. People were far more social and well spoken and respectful.

When we did sit down to watch TV it was quality programming like this.

Old 07-03-2019, 08:09 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Cool, and?

Old 07-03-2019, 08:51 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
I have frequently commented of why I don't watch TV anymore.

Essentially, a very overly healthy TV watching addiction DIED in about 3 years from 2005 to 2008.

It was a change from drama to reality. The change of the Discovery channel from science to biker. It was the lack of information in the various TV guides that if you weren't watching prime time, you didn't matter. When I am watching ESPN at noon, I don't want to watch talking heads, I want to watch sports. I grew up see this show sports around the world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3QLwuYr2f4
but in the modern era, all they show are talking heads.

It was advertising being shown over the show I am trying to watch. It was being forced to watch sports Terminator style with additional information about everything being shown on what I am trying to enjoy.

It was the removal of the intro and then the names of who was in the show being shown in the first act. If you didn't know the actor's name to their face, you didn't know who was staying, who was leaving. If you had weather alerts, you didn't see any name.

It was the politics of a network, such as NBC being very anti gun. It was being fed up with being jerked around such as when FOX lied about Wonderfalls. That was the last straw with them and I never watched them again.

It was looking at franchises absolutely filling up the schedule. I don't believe sexual violence should be a formed of entertainment but when SVU showed up on Sci Fi channel once, it was another nail in the coffin. It was looking at what was tooted as a great show but to me, it looked like they took the beautiful extras of something like Star Trek, made a show about them with beautiful photography, and expected that to fly. It was Sci Fi showing encores of Battlestar Galactica but on the last episode for a season, they didn't and it was missed.

It was with commercials that showed one would be rewarded for being an idiot or doing wrong.

It was the change of format, from VHS to DVD to TIVO. It was my power company flipping the switch after I would spend hours programming my machines and them clearing it out in a second.

It was whole bunch of things of being fed up and I just stopped watching. Now, no cable, no satellite, no broadcast. All I watched is "canned", be it DVD or tape.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:06 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Greatest time for movies was the 80's, if you had HBO you were pretty much guaranteed to see just about every movie produced. Each month the lineup changed with new movies and they filled the rest of the schedule out with older ones and they werenlt crap movies no one wanted to watch. Greatest time for TV was the 90's, might of been 40 to 80 channels but nearly all of them had decent content. Nowadays you got six gazillion channels with each having a few good shows and a bunch of filler. The History channel is pretty much a joke compared to the 90's.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:43 AM

15,529 posts, read 10,499,357 times
I agree, TV is very boring. I do like some of the HGTV and DIY shows though.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:46 AM

3,318 posts, read 2,338,253 times
I watch very little TV because very few programs hold my interest. When I do watch, it's often repeats of shows from 20+ years ago.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:13 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
I dont like the fact that the FCC still censors network and many cable channels, its 2019 now, to have a govt agency monitoring our broadcast air waves for 'content' is absurd and medieval. Im really amazed more people have not called for this to end.

I also do not like how many commercials there are on network and cable channels, years ago when I watched cable channels like SyFy, they actually had MORE commercials than local network tv!!! Now how is that even possible? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies